Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Rebookings, Cancellations and Refunds, hotels.com during Corona Crisis

Old Mar 23, 20, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

Quite a lot of proactive help is being offered by hotels.com during the Corona crisis, including free cancellations of non-refundable hotel room bookings and flexible rebooking options. A statement containing the main issues is here:

https://uk.hotels.com/page/coronavir...g-information/

I myself have one booking in mid April and I am well in advance of the cancellation date. But I am unable to cancel it through ordinary channels, because when it comes to asking me to select a reason for cancelling, it won't let me progress beyond this stage. Presumably an IT glitch, maybe an overloaded platform, but annoying all the same. Anyone else having similar issues? Any workarounds?

I thought it was better to keep this Corona related thread in the place it would usually belong, the Other Hotel Chains forum, but if any mod wants to move it into the main Coronavirus forum then it's all the same to me.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
i haven't been able to get a hold of hotels.com. they're response has been horrible compared to the airlines and hotel chains. they need to allow refunds via their website instead of having people wait hours to get through.
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Theoretically one should be able to do that with the existing interface, but I just wasn't able to do that. What about simply ringing the property up? Easy to do in my case, because they're up the road in Zurich and I speak German. But can I cancel a hotels.com booking by calling the hotel itself?
Old Mar 25, 20, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Just to report back (which I should have done earlier today, but forgot) is that the feature seems to be working again. So I was able to cancel my refundable hotel through the usual channel. I had guessed that it was an IT glitch that would get sorted sooner or later, and I was far enough ahead with dates to not worry too much. So, it's working again!
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
mine is non-refundable. they made a post saying they would reach out to those within 72 hours of their stay giving them an option for a refund. haven't heard a thing and their phones are down. i'm just going to wait until things slow down and call them up and demand a refund.
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
I am facing an issue and wanted to know if anyone was havin ghte same trouble to get refunds of fully flexible hotel reservations booked on hotels.com. I planned a trip to Japan for early may which has now been cancelled. I made in total 11 bookings between last december and this month, all paid on hotels.com (french or dutch websites, billed in Euros), and all reservations being fully refundable up to 24/48 hours before arrival. I cancelled plenty of flexbile reservations over the last 10 years using hotels.com and usually get refunded on my american express within 24/48 hours. Out of the 11 reservations I had, the first one was cancelled on March 17th and I got the refund posted on my credit card the next day. All other reservations have been cancelled between March 19th and 23rd but so far, I haven't received anything back of the 2600 Euros I am expecting. I called amex (France) and nothing is pending on their side. They also refused to start claim back procedures or postpone some recent payments ) but that's another story. Am I the only one facing issues getting my money back ? I would understand delays for non-refundable reservations as they would need to check with each individual hotel how to proceed, but here the reservations are fully flexible and I cancelled more than a month before arrival.
Old Apr 5, 20, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
I am facing an issue and wanted to know if anyone was havin ghte same trouble to get refunds of fully flexible hotel reservations booked on hotels.com. I planned a trip to Japan for early may which has now been cancelled. I made in total 11 bookings between last december and this month, all paid on hotels.com (french or dutch websites, billed in Euros), and all reservations being fully refundable up to 24/48 hours before arrival. I cancelled plenty of flexbile reservations over the last 10 years using hotels.com and usually get refunded on my american express within 24/48 hours. Out of the 11 reservations I had, the first one was cancelled on March 17th and I got the refund posted on my credit card the next day. All other reservations have been cancelled between March 19th and 23rd but so far, I haven't received anything back of the 2600 Euros I am expecting. I called amex (France) and nothing is pending on their side. They also refused to start claim back procedures or postpone some recent payments ) but that's another story. Am I the only one facing issues getting my money back ? I would understand delays for non-refundable reservations as they would need to check with each individual hotel how to proceed, but here the reservations are fully flexible and I cancelled more than a month before arrival.
In a similar situation,Iím waiting on large refunds for reservations that were pre paid but fully flexible (in hindsight would have chosen to pay on arrival). I cancelled 20 days ago, the advice is refunds may take up to 30 days, however they have always refunded these types of reservations the next working day (to American Express). Iím hoping we are just at the back of the line, and that these types of reservations havenít been ignored completely to prioritise others.

Have also been unsuccessful in getting in touch.
Old Apr 6, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
In a similar situation,Iím waiting on large refunds for reservations that were pre paid but fully flexible (in hindsight would have chosen to pay on arrival). I cancelled 20 days ago, the advice is refunds may take up to 30 days, however they have always refunded these types of reservations the next working day (to American Express). Iím hoping we are just at the back of the line, and that these types of reservations havenít been ignored completely to prioritise others.

Have also been unsuccessful in getting in touch.
Update on my side, I was able to reach twice the Duch Hotels.com and the lady assured me that the refunds will come withing 30 days (although the previous call I made she assured me it was 7 to 14 days). The two first reservations I cancelled on March 19th got refunded on my amex last saturday (500 Euros total), so seems like it's slowly being processed. All other reservations (8 in total) have been cancelled between March 21st and 24th so I hope to get those refunded this week (2100 Euros remaining in total)
Good luck.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 20, 9:43 am

Update on my side, I was able to reach twice the Duch Hotels.com and the lady assured me that the refunds will come withing 30 days (although the previous call I made she assured me it was 7 to 14 days). The two first reservations I cancelled on March 19th got refunded on my amex last saturday (500 Euros total), so seems like it's slowly being processed. All other reservations (8 in total) have been cancelled between March 21st and 24th so I hope to get those refunded this week (2100 Euros remaining in total)
Good luck.
Thanks, that offers me a little piece of mind, I’m unable to get through to anyone from the U.K.! I’m on the same time line as yourself, cancelled on March 21st (fully flex booking paid in advance), so we are in the same boat per se. Good luck and keep me posted
palmanfr likes this.
Old Apr 8, 20, 6:32 am
Original Poster

I am just wondering if cancelling a flexible booking that included using a hotels.com free night will result in me getting the free night, so to speak (because the value was a partial payment to the hotel in question), returned to my account.
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I am just wondering if cancelling a flexible booking that included using a hotels.com free night will result in me getting the free night, so to speak (because the value was a partial payment to the hotel in question), returned to my account.
I had the same case a couple weeks ago and the value of the free night got immediately refunded on my hotels.com account. The free night value as 75 Euros and the booking I cancelled was worth 100 Euros. The 75 Euro free night voucher got refunded immediately, while the 25 Euros paid with my amex are still pending refund.
Old Apr 9, 20, 4:57 am

Update from my side, a lot of fully flexible "cheap" bookings (between 25 and 115 Euros) were refunded to my credit card this morning for cancellations made on March 24th.
However, I still have 3 more expensive bookings (450, 500 and 700 Euros) still pending a refund, and those bookings were cancelled earlier, on March 21st, 22nd and 23rd. Let's see if something comes up tomorrow on my statement...
2 bookings worth 360 and 180 Euros and cancelled on March 19th got refunded on April 3rd as mentioned before.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 7:13 am

Update from my side, a lot of fully flexible "cheap" bookings (between 25 and 115 Euros) were refunded to my credit card this morning for cancellations made on March 24th.
However, I still have 3 more expensive bookings (450, 500 and 700 Euros) still pending a refund, and those bookings were cancelled earlier, on March 21st, 22nd and 23rd. Let's see if something comes up tomorrow on my statement...
2 bookings worth 360 and 180 Euros and cancelled on March 19th got refunded on April 3rd as mentioned before.
No refund at my end for 21st flex cancellations. The amounts are in the £000ís+, a little worried but hopefully itís still just at the back of the line
Old Apr 10, 20, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
No refund at my end for 21st flex cancellations. The amounts are in the £000ís+, a little worried but hopefully itís still just at the back of the line
Check your statement now, all my reservations cancelled on March 21st, 22nd and 23rd got refunded on my amex today. So I finally have all my money back now, all 10 bookings got recredited.
Old Apr 10, 20, 3:13 am

Check your statement now, all my reservations cancelled on March 21st, 22nd and 23rd got refunded on my amex today. So I finally have all my money back now, all 10 bookings got recredited.
Yes one is there now (21st) and the other cancelled on the 25th isnít there yet although hopefully by this timeline will be soon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: