Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Hotel Lobby On Second Floor, Ground Floor Is Just A Hallway With Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:11 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Can anyone think of a hotel where the lobby is on the second floor and the ground floor is just a hallway with rooms? I know the Homewood Suites in Greensboro is one, what with the fact when I was younger my family and I thought it was a basement (and the rooms on that floor had no fireplace compared to the upper floors due to cost reasons).
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
Can anyone think of a hotel where the lobby is on the second floor and the ground floor is just a hallway with rooms? I know the Homewood Suites in Greensboro is one, what with the fact when I was younger my family and I thought it was a basement (and the rooms on that floor had no fireplace compared to the upper floors due to cost reasons).
I recall a HEL (Helsinki, Finland) airport hotel which has its rooms in the basement (to limit the airport noise?) but the lobby might have been on the entrance floor. I think it may have been a Scandic when I stayed there, but it's now a GLO. And since it's closed for a while during airport redevelopment, I can't be sure if it's configuration is going to be, much less still is, the way it was when I stayed there a dozenish+ years ago. (I stayed at Scandic only during the era when Scandic was partnered with Hilton.)

Is the Homewood Suites in Greensboro a split-level property? Other than the airport example above, I would expect that most hotels that are this way are because what is the second floor at one end of the building is the ground floor at the other end of the building. There's a lot of houses on hills built that way, and there might be some hotels built that way too.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, plenty. Majestic in Montreux for example.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:58 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I recall a HEL (Helsinki, Finland) airport hotel which has its rooms in the basement (to limit the airport noise?) but the lobby might have been on the entrance floor. I think it may have been a Scandic when I stayed there, but it's now a GLO. And since it's closed for a while during airport redevelopment, I can't be sure if it's configuration is going to be, much less still is, the way it was when I stayed there a dozenish+ years ago. (I stayed at Scandic only during the era when Scandic was partnered with Hilton.)

Is the Homewood Suites in Greensboro a split-level property? Other than the airport example above, I would expect that most hotels that are this way are because what is the second floor at one end of the building is the ground floor at the other end of the building. There's a lot of houses on hills built that way, and there might be some hotels built that way too.
I don't recall if it was split-level. I was a little kid when I stayed there. Last time I stayed there was when I was 7. I'm now 23, so I feel old looking back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.