Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie strategies for hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Newbie strategies for hotels

What's a good newbie strategy for hotels? Part of my problem is a lack of knowledge.

I think the frequent stay programs and chains are:

Very high end: beyond my budget and so rich points are meaningless, like the George V in Paris
High (normal) end: 1. Hilton, 2. Marriott, 3. Hyatt (limited number of hotels), 4. IHG
Low end: 1. Choice Hotels (Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, Rodeway Inn, etc.) 2. Wyndham
small chains: Radisson, Accor, Best Western, Red Roof Inn, Drury

Is the above missing anything?

If so, maybe consider Hilton, IHG, Choice, and maybe a small chain, like Drury, if you know of a convenient location that you use often. Or replace Hilton with Marriott?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most people would put Best Western (which actually has a lot of hotels worldwide, but more in smaller cities and town than many other programs) in the low end or between the low end and what you labeled as the high (normal) end. It doesn't feel like a "small chain" to me.

But within what you labeled as the high (normal) end, the benefits vary greatly. At IHG, you get pretty nothing (except a few more points and maybe extended checkout) for any level of earned status. Meanwhile, at Hilton a $95 AF card gives you mid-level status which gets you free breakfast of some sort every Hilton brand. Marriott and Hyatt "meaningful" status levels exist but are much harder to achieve for those not having lots of hotel nights a year.

At the low end, Choice has by far the best promotions, especially if you can do one-night stays. But to cover the most locations, I find it useful to pair Choice with Best Western, rather than something like Drury which I never see. For example, in the US outside of some National Parks, Best Western is the only chain hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I decided to choose Hilton (instead of Marriott), IHG as a backup and Choice Hotels as a budget choice. I like Drury but rarely stay in a city with a Drury. They have evening snacks that can pass for dinner.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
George V Paris is part of Four Seasons hotels.
They do have plenty of amazing property with amazing price as well.

Hilton, Marriott, and Accor are large chain with mixed offerings.
Hilton have Waldorf Astoria hotels, Marriott have Luxury Collections, St Regis and The Ritz-Carlton brands, and Accor have Raffles and Sofitel Legends that would be competing with Four Seasons in the upper luxury segments.
They also have offerings in luxury, business, and even budget range.
Marriott and Hilton are more balanced while Accor did have more budget hotels in their portfolio.

I believe you will need to see which region you will travel most and choose accordingly.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I think you made a good choice with Hilton as your number 1. I agree with Sdsearch that you should consider getting the American Express $95 annual fee card. That will get you get you automatic gold status which helps with breakfast at the higher end hotels and it will also give you some bonus points when you sign up. Those points add up and equal free nights.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:56 pm

Third the suggestion for getting the $95 AF Hilton card. The Gold status is worthwhile for free breakfast at basically every hotel that doesn't offer it to everyone already. I also got upgrades once in a while out of having status, though certainly not enough for that to be a major selling point. If you don't have it with another card, the 10 visits with Priority Pass are also a nice benefit for transfers. If I stayed at more Hilton hotels (currently my budget is too small for Hiltons to work out) I'd almost certainly pick up that card again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.