Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Global Hotel Alliance DISCOVERY Loyalty Program Q+A Thread (ARCHIVE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts on GHA and DISCOVERY may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1064040-global-hotel-alliance-unveils-loyalty-program.html

Please Note - As of November, 2019 - Former Official Company Representative DISCOVERYLady is no longer an active member of FlyerTalk.

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Acting Moderator
Other Hotel Chains Forum
Print Wikipost

Global Hotel Alliance DISCOVERY Loyalty Program Q+A Thread (ARCHIVE)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DISCOVERYLady
Yes - to earn a Local Experience award by staying at a brand that you were not enrolled in you must already be at the Platinum or Black level and have stayed the required 10 nights for Platinum or 30 nights for Black. The good news is once you have hit the number of night thresholds, all you have to do is stay in a new brand once and you will get another Local Experience. And there is no limit on how many new brands you can earn on in a year... you just can only earn on the new brand once per calendar year... E.g. Enrolled at Brand A + stay 10 nights = Platinum and 1 Local Experience..... then stay at Brand B --- get another Local Experience, then stay at Brand C and get another Local Experience, etc... Let me know if you have questions... happy hunting for new brands to try!
Hi
how about i reach 30 nights in a year, am i should receive another LE ? because this year i didn't receive new LE

I already stay all of brands in south east asia, how to earn more LE ?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Question for DiscoveryLady :

What is the relationship between Discovery GHA and Priority Guest Rewards from Rydges?

The FAQ does cover about benefit received by PGR members staying at Discovery GHA hotels.
But unfortunately I cant find the information about benefit received by Discovery GHA members when they stays at PGR hotels

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by LehBra
Hi @DISCOVERYLady, appreciate your thorough explanation.

Kinda curious, what should I expect in my situation?

I had my Black status renewed for 2019 (this should be 1 Local Experience)
With the rollover nights from 2018, I had 11 nights rolled into 2019.
Managed to stay at an Avani (new brand to me) in Jan 2019. (this should also be 1 Local Experience?)

Should I be expecting 1 Black Local Experience and 1 Platinum Local Experience, or 2 Black Local Experiences credited to my account this year?
LehBra - if you renew your Black level status, then you will earn a Black level Local Experience. Once your renew, you will earn another Black level Local Experience each time you have an eligible stay at a new brand in a calendar year (I.e. a new brand = not your brand of enrollment) . If you would like our membership services team to look into your Avani stay, please email all details to [email protected]. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks for your loyalty!

Originally Posted by seba
Hi
how about i reach 30 nights in a year, am i should receive another LE ? because this year i didn't receive new LE

I already stay all of brands in south east asia, how to earn more LE ?
Seba - ypou should receive a Black Level Local Experience when you have stayed 30 nights in a calendar year at an eligible rate. Then, each time you stay the first time at a new brand that year (new brand = not the brand you enrolled in), you should receive another Black Local Experience. If you think you have qualifed and did not receive an Local Experience, please contact our member services team at [email protected] with your member number, stay details etc and then can explore and ensure you are awarded any earned Local Experiences. Thanks for staying with DISCOVERY!

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Question for DiscoveryLady :

What is the relationship between Discovery GHA and Priority Guest Rewards from Rydges?

The FAQ does cover about benefit received by PGR members staying at Discovery GHA hotels.
But unfortunately I cant find the information about benefit received by Discovery GHA members when they stays at PGR hotels

Thanks!
kaizen7 -- please contact our member services team at [email protected] for details on how the two programs work together. Let me know if you still have questions after that... thanks!

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I assume "subsequent" is pretty clear. One has to get the first by nights qualification.
yes...

Originally Posted by sandyph
Hi @DISCOVERYLady,

a quick question, if I still have 1 Black Local Experience but my Black status will lapse in Feb 2019.
Will I still be able to redeem the Local Experience in the following months or do I need to redeem it by the end of Feb?
sandyph === your Black Local Experience award is good until the expiration date even if you are no longer at Black Level status (Same goes for a Platinum level award -- good until expiration even if you are no longer Platinum status) -- please enjoy using the Local Experience and hope you will stay frequently and earn more!!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2019 at 5:20 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:03 pm

Question GHA confusion

After reading the GHA loyalty's website, I am left very confused about how the loyalty programs are connected. Do members of GHA who signed up on their website get the same benefits as the people who signed up with one of the hotels in GHA? Are there special benefits to signing up for a specific hotel chain loyalty program? Can you receive qualifying nights for other hotels in GHA with a program like Outrigger or Kempinski? Really confused...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2019 at 5:45 pm Reason: moved into consolidated thread
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Sharkwitch11
After reading the GHA loyalty's website, I am left very confused about how the loyalty programs are connected. Do members of GHA who signed up on their website get the same benefits as the people who signed up with one of the hotels in GHA? Are there special benefits to signing up for a specific hotel chain loyalty program? Can you receive qualifying nights for other hotels in GHA with a program like Outrigger or Kempinski? Really confused...
There are the similar basic GHA benefits which all members are entitled to at all GHA hotels. And then there are the extra benefits which are only available for that particular chain's members. You can find the specifics on each chain's loyalty websites where they would show which ones are GHA's and chain's benefits.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

As I am new to GHA as a platinum. Do I get the benefits , if I book through a 3rd party? I asked, as the price I found Is 25%cheaper than on the GHA page itself. Thank you very much
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:43 pm

Does it make a difference to if you sign up on discoveryloyalty.com or one of the singular hotels?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:47 am

At the base level, no difference at all. However you might get lucky that a certain property takes kindly to your GHA being of that chain's, maybe gives you an unexpected room upgrade or something but don't hold your breath for it. If you have plans to stay at a particular chain and accrue status, then sign up for that chain's loyalty program. Link below from Kempinski for illustration..

https://www.kempinski.com/en/hotels/loyalty-programme/
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Never realise than each brand have their own additional benefit for being their member.

I got base GHA discovery membership, can I apply for that hotel specific program? For example kempinski discovery?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by pradom
As I am new to GHA as a platinum. Do I get the benefits , if I book through a 3rd party? I asked, as the price I found Is 25%cheaper than on the GHA page itself. Thank you very much
Pradom -- sorry... as with the other hotel loyalty programs, benefits are not earned or delivered when booking through 3rd party sites such as Expedia, booking.com, etc. You will need to book direct at discoveryloyalty.com or one of our brand websites to earn status and receive upgrades and other elite benefits. Happy travels!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by pradom
1. Why don't you apply for BRG? Get yet lower price and all the benefits.

2. In any case it does not hurt to ask the property about possible benefits. While you cannot demand any when you book with OTA, property may still grant you upgrade and late check-out, if it wishes.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DISCOVERYLady
Pradom -- sorry... as with the other hotel loyalty programs, benefits are not earned or delivered when booking through 3rd party sites such as Expedia, booking.com, etc. You will need to book direct at discoveryloyalty.com or one of our brand websites to earn status and receive upgrades and other elite benefits. Happy travels!
@DISCOVERYLady I know you mentioned this before, but I wanted to make sure this is still the case -- booking thru Amex travel does allow members to earn status and receive upgrades and other elite benefits, correct?

Last edited by LetsGoToo; Mar 5, 2019 at 5:28 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:16 am

LetsGoToo -- AMEX travel is a travel management company and not an OTA (I know it is very confusing! --- an OTA would be sites such as Expedia, booking.com, hotels.com, Orbitz, etc) -- AMEX Travel would for the most part offer rates which qualify for DISCOVERY benefits (earning status, status recognition/benefits such as upgrades at the hotel, earning of Local Experience Awards, etc) -- If you call AMEX Travel, you can ask if the rate is a qualifying rate... If you go to the AMEX Travel website, I am not sure how it would be displayed but most, if not all of the rates offered for an individual booking would qualify. If you are able to book on discoveryloyalty.com then you can be assured that all bookings would qualify for night credit and rewards/recognition. Please let me know if you have additional questions. appreciate your interest!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
DISCOVERYLady, thanks for your participation here! We love to have program reps around!

Do you have a Best Rate Guarantee program? As you may know, many hotel programs match rates found on other sites (and sometimes provide a further discount). I'm looking at two New Zealand hotels now, and the rates on discoveryloyalty are much higher -- like 400+ NZD vs 120-150 EUR on Expedia/Hotels/Agoda/etc. Obviously, I'd like to book direct, but not at a 30-50% premium.
I'm guessing you're booking a Rydges/QT in NZ? I don't think we have any GHA properties otherwise. If so, I have found that booking directly with Rydges counts as GHA nights anyway. Make a PGR Rydges account up. Gives access to the member rate discount 10% and 20% off F&B, free wifi, welcome drink etc. Link the Rydges PGR account to your GHA account. I can't remember now if this happens automatically. But all of my Rydges stays count towards GHA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:57 am

Broken GHA system

My experience with GHA discovery program haven’t been as pleasant as others. I first signed up few years ago for a week long stay at Outrigger Maldives, which was wonderful. I booked Pan Pacific Whistler Miuntainside for an 8 nights stay directly with the hotel over the phone last year with my membership info provided to the hotel. Only 6 of 8 night got posted, the first two nights for some reason showed up as claim(I didn’t made the claim, I assume hotel did), it showed claims as resolved but two nights still missing and never posted, I submitted online form at GHA about ‘resolved claim’ and never heard back. At Pan Pacific received none of the Discovery benefits and got the worst room in that room category despite booking direct with hotel 10 months in advance. Service was none existing. And the Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside reservation system doesn’t seem to talk to GHA Discovery, I was never able to look up my reservation.

I decided to give the hotel another try and made the booking for next year. Same thing happens again, unable to look up reservation by reservation number, reservation doesn’t show up on my account even though my membership number shows up on the confirmation email from hotel. And I noticed each time I used a differenes email associated with reservation, the reservation seems to change my account email automatically. Yet my account can’t lookup the reservation. GHA Discovery online system is just not functioning. My experience as IHG Platinum & Hilton Gold have Ben far more pleasant my experience with GHA Discovery experience, particular at Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside where they don’t even acknowledge your loyalty. And neither the reservation site for Pan Pacific nor GHA Discovery allow input for member ID unless you log in. Nor can you link an existing reservation back to your account. It's terribly frustrating. And unlike IHG and Hilton which send you post stay survey about your experience as loyalty member. GHA never follow up on your experience after stay.
LuoboTiX and bluestrudels like this.

Last edited by windonwaters; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:47 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.