Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Henry, Buffalo, New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hotel Henry, Buffalo, New York

Hotel Henry opened a year or so ago as an upscale, 4-ish star boutique hotel. It's housed in a gorgeous 19th century building that was once a mental hospital.

Anyways, I just received this offer by email:

Winter is here, and where there is cold blustery weather there is cabin fever. Crush that cooped in feeling with a winter retreat at our special rate of $129, 37% off standard city room rates. We're tossing in a drink on us and complimentary breakfast because we get it, winters in Buffalo are hard. Valid for reservations and arrival through 3/31/2019 - bed type not guaranteed - complimentary upgrade based on availability at time of arrival.

Please follow the step-by-step instructions below to make a reservation:

1. Go to https://www.hotelhenry.com
2. Insert the desired dates at the top of the page
3. Press ‘Book Now’
4. On the next page, select the ‘Special Codes’ dropdown menu
5. Enter your code (RETURN) in the Corporate/Promotion Code box
6. Press ‘Check Availability’
7. Select your room!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I had a college professor whose aunt was a resident back when it was a mental hospital and swears to never visit because of that but I know people who have stayed and who have does meals there. Seems to be a good spot. I went to UB and did a class at Buff State too. The area could be a bit more touristy but it's not bad either. Easy access off the 33 (Airport to downtown) highway and Elmwood ave.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I had a college professor whose aunt was a resident back when it was a mental hospital and swears to never visit because of that but I know people who have stayed and who have does meals there. Seems to be a good spot. I went to UB and did a class at Buff State too. The area could be a bit more touristy but it's not bad either. Easy access off the 33 (Airport to downtown) highway and Elmwood ave.
I had a 2-night stay there a few months ago. It's a beautiful building, but the hotel isn't run the greatest.

Outside the nice restaurant, which was crazy busy even on week nights, the services and amenities -- or lack thereof -- were below a limited-service Four Points by Sheraton or Courtyard property. You expect better for a 4-star boutique hotel. No bellman or valet, no in-room hotel directory or even restaurant menus, no in-room clock , no bathrobes or slippers, only two pillows instead of the usual four pillows for a king-sized bed, no dental or shaving kits, no bottled water (free or paid) in the room, and no stationary (not even a pen).

There were also some big design flaws, like not having the lobby at the ground level. And for such a big building -- let alone a hotel that calls itself a resort -- there's no pool. Yes, it's a historic building but they could have easily added a pool somewhere. They also didn't invest in signage and use paper signs taped to walls to direct guests where to go (it's easy to get lost).

I prefer the downtown Marriott, which I have always thought to be really nice. With that said, the rates at Hotel Henry are low enough that I would consider staying there again because the parking lot is preferable to a cramped downtown parking garage or expensive valet parking.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 13, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sounds like they're in a bit over their head operationally. They could probably benefit from joiningg something like Curio or Tribute lines of a chain to get the operational help they need.

I have a wedding this June and will be trying out The Curtis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.