FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Hotel Chains (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains-431/)
-   -   Sule Shangri-La Yangon, Burma [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1950435-sule-shangri-la-yangon-burma-master-thread.html)

helvetic Jan 11, 2019 5:43 am

Sule Shangri-La Yangon, Burma [Master Thread]

Starting a thread for this property where I just checked in.

Got a high-for-Yangon rate of ~$180 for a one-night stay in a club room. Booked with a Luxury Circle TA, so despite no status in the Golden Circle program, I'm treated quite well with a late checkout, free breakfast, upgraded room, club access, welcome amenity, and a $100 resort credit (which I will promptly spend at the spa).

Will report back, perhaps with a full review, by the end of the stay.

Anyone stayed here and have any particular recs?

Aventine Jun 19, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 30640578)
Starting a thread for this property where I just checked in.

Got a high-for-Yangon rate of ~$180 for a one-night stay in a club room. Booked with a Luxury Circle TA, so despite no status in the Golden Circle program, I'm treated quite well with a late checkout, free breakfast, upgraded room, club access, welcome amenity, and a $100 resort credit (which I will promptly spend at the spa).

Will report back, perhaps with a full review, by the end of the stay.

Anyone stayed here and have any particular recs?

How did your stay go? I'm asking because deciding between here and other luxury properties in Yangon.

helvetic Jun 20, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31218254)
How did your stay go? I'm asking because deciding between here and other luxury properties in Yangon.

I was very happy with my stay. I booked a one night stay with the luxury circle rate for $180-ish, which came with $100 in hotel credit. It was tricky to even spend that much, but I got myself a 90min massage + had enough left over for several drinks at the bar. Booked into a club room which was upgraded to a massive suite due to the rate benefit. I got free breakfast in the restaurant too on top of the club lounge offerings.

Overall the hotel was quite good, and I think is about as good as you'll do in Yangon — there aren't a ton of options here.

One thing I'd note is that the masseuse did try to go for the jewels, which I found rather surprising and unexpected at a 5-star hotel. It's never happened to me anywhere else. I'm not bothered by this at all, but I mention it for those who are more squeamish and might find the surprise off-putting. I think it might be due to one of the main demographics in Burmese hotels being Japanese businessmen.

Gioventu Jun 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31218254)

I stayed here many times in the past and it was always ok. Rooms and all other facilities are a bit aged and therefore changed to the new Pan Pacific Junction City (5min walking distance from Shangri-La). It's usually cheaper (Our corporate rate is 130 USD/night) and much nicer. Downside is simply their poor loyalty program.

Isochronous Jul 26, 2019 1:25 am

Correct to say that this Shangri La is a bit dated but the service is very good and the restaurant buffet breakfast is one of the better ones you'll find - great quality and variety!

Jaimito Cartero Jul 26, 2019 1:32 am

I haven’t stayed at a Shangri-La in 15 years. Back then membership in their loyalty program included an ugrade and free breakfast. Recall staying on a Priceline Name Your Price in BKK of $55 a night and getting nice benefits.