Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Onyx Rewards (Amari, Nova, OZO) any experiences?

Old Dec 3, 18, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, AccorHotels Silver, oneworld Sapphire

Got a status match to their top tier (Platinum), wonder which properties are worth considering in Thailand (if any). Looks like only one has a Club lounge, sadly. Still, if upgrades tend to be generous, it occasionally may make sense.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: UA1k 2.7mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glo,SPG LT Plt, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar Plt,IHG Plt,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
While the Amari Watergate is the only Onyx property in Bangkok with a lounge, you get very nice benefits at Oriental Residences and you get lounge access at the Amari Pattaya. At the Amari Watergate you will usually only get a one category upgrade so usually not a suite.

Btw, I think the Amari Watergate has the best lounge breakfast in Bangkok, and they also give Plats. the option of breakfast in the restaurant.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, AccorHotels Silver, oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
While the Amari Watergate is the only Onyx property in Bangkok with a lounge, you get very nice benefits at Oriental Residences and you get lounge access at the Amari Pattaya. At the Amari Watergate you will usually only get a one category upgrade so usually not a suite.
Btw, I think the Amari Watergate has the best lounge breakfast in Bangkok, and they also give Plats. the option of breakfast in the restaurant.
Thank you for the input! Could you say how good is Amari Pattaya lounge? For offerings and views/design (I have been to a nearby HI Club lounge, and it's actually was surprisingly nicely designed and had stunning panoramic views).
Any idea if benefits tend to be honored on OTA bookings? (I have one booking at a Nova property done for the sake of special rebate offer, cannot be used for BRG.)

BTW, Onyx website mentions lounge access for Platinums only in two properties, Amari Watergate and Amari Johor: https://www.onyx-rewards.com/benefits-glance/
Strange that they have omitted Pattaya one. Definitely a more popular destination than JB.
Or do I miss something?

P. S. Have you had any experiences with their BRG? Positive/negative.
Old Dec 3, 18, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.7mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glo,SPG LT Plt, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar Plt,IHG Plt,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Sorry, I haven't stayed at the Amari Pattaya. However, I did write them and they said I would have lounge access there as a Plat. I think there are two different lounges at that property.
I've stayed at the Amari JB and the lounge there is very good and very empty.
I don't know if you will get benefits, stay credit and points on an OTA booking, but with most chains you do not.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if you will get benefits, stay credit and points on an OTA booking, but with most chains you do not.
I don't expect points or stay credit, of course. Upgrades and lounge access were officially honored until recently by Marriott and are still honored by IHG in case of Ambassadors (though it's a paid status, so not exactly the same case). Unofficially any property may choose to honor these or not, but I am pretty sure that chances with major chains are high, unless they are sold out or have too many elites staying. Can't really confirm, since I normally book direct with chains I am interested to keep status with.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:30 am

That's good to know.
I hesitate to take the risk since elite benefits are important to me and stay credit makes me feel like I'm making progress.
For Onyx, you only need 10 stays to requalify, making it the easiest (other than Fairmont Presidents Club before) of any chain I know of. You can requalify for Onxy Plat. in less than two weeks and under $300 in Pattaya. It's what I plan to do this year.
The points earning is not great with Onxy but better than nothing.
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

That's good to know.
I hesitate to take the risk since elite benefits are important to me and stay credit makes me feel like I'm making progress.
For Onyx, you only need 10 stays to requalify, making it the easiest (other than Fairmont Presidents Club before) of any chain I know of. You can requalify for Onxy Plat. in less than two weeks and under $300 in Pattaya. It's what I plan to do this year.
The points earning is not great with Onxy but better than nothing.
Yeah, 10 stays for top status is nothing. Sadly, chain itself is not that great and coverage is generally poor (aside from Pattaya).

Have you earned enough points for a free night so far? Do they run any decent offers time to time? (Not just something like 20% off that are in fact 5% off.)

P. S. I tried once to get a status match with Centara, which has multiple nice hotels in Pattaya and Bangkok, but they turned me down.
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:28 am

The Amari Watergate and Oriental Residences are both good hotels, and as I said, there is no better lounge breakfast in Bangkok than the Amari Watergate. The Amari Watergate Lounge used to be open 24 hours, but not anymore. It has a balcony.

Onyx has regular sales and a once a year two for one sale.

I think I have enough points for a couple of free nights at the Amari Watergate, but don’t know for sure because points redemption is no longer transparent (you have to message them about the points needed for the day you want). I’ve been Plat. since the Onyx program first started 5? years ago. In that time Onyx has been through at least 3 different contractors running it’s awards program. Things are slowly improving.

If you find one Onyx property you like, that’s all you need since you can use your other status elsewhere. You should use what’s good about each program (for example Marriott and IHG are very different, but IHG has some good things about it).

Onyx has properties in other countries.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:20 am
Original Poster

I just saw the news there is gonna be Amari in Vientiane. If they happen to launch it by summer, gonna stay there to try it.

Pattaya is easy, but Amari Ocean is too expensive while several Novas look too cheap, at least on photos. Same with Watergate: if the property is in price range of Marriotts or better IHG properties like Indigo, it's hard to justify it.
But I will check prices time to time. Would be interesting at least to check what they offer IRL.