Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Does La Quinta ask for AARP / AAA ID at check-in?

Old Aug 3, 18, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

When booking an AARP or AAA rate online, it says that I'll need to show my ID at check-in. I have never needed to at the other chains I frequent.

Just curious. My wallet with all of my loyalty cards is in my winter home.

Last edited by davetravels; Aug 3, 18 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
My wallet with all of my loyalty cards is in my winter home.
One might expect a response to be "No problem, you can just show us a copy of your digital member card from your mobile phone wallet."
Old Aug 4, 18, 9:31 pm

If you look visibly old then they probably won't ask for the aarp card.
Old Aug 4, 18, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't recall being asked for my AARP number at LQ, but then I only have stayed at 3 different La Qunita properties (Santa Ana/Irvine Spectrum/Buena Park CA), one of those many time and the other two I think only once each). So this doesn't prove that none of them ask, it only proves that these 3 haven't asked me. And they can tell from my drivers license (which they do ask for) that I'm definitely old enough to be a "normal" AARP member.

But OTOH I can't remember if maybe the first time ever stayed at one on an AARP rate whether they asked me then, and just made a note of it. My first LQ stay on an AARP rate was a handful of year ago (at the one LQ hotel that I've stayed at many times).

As for other chains: I have been asked for my AARP card once or twice (but rarely) at WynhdamRewards properties. And the Marriott site in the past half year has asked me to type in my AAA number a couple times (but not every time) when booking AAA rates. Marriott never asked me for it online until the past half year or so.

Meanwhile, how can you get AAA roadside service without your AAA card with you? I can understand possibly leaving an AARP card at a winter home but the AAA card I wouldn't ever want to be without.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 4, 18 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 5, 18, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Thanx, all!

The property in question is at 17 West 32nd St, New York,NY. It's a great location for me, since it's close to Penn Station for the train to EWR when I leave Monday evening. I found an amazing rate of $81 for tonite! The free breakfast alwayz gets me, too!

I read a Yelp review that said that, someone else had an issue there regarding an AARP/AAA card, and that they tried to charge them some outrageous price at check-in. I really didn't want to have any issues, so, I just canceled and rebooked at the Best Available Rate, which was only $9 more at $90.

I'm off to catch my flight!!

It's gonna be 90 today and tomorrow!
Old Aug 5, 18, 7:24 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
how can you get AAA roadside service without your AAA card with you?
As I stated above, there is a digital membership card available online or via mobile app.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
As I stated above, there is a digital membership card available online or via mobile app.
But, THIS is my mobile phone!

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/xG...one.gif.cf.gif

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 10, 18 at 6:20 am Reason: animated images are not allowed, per FT Rules
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
But, THIS is my mobile phone!
So that's why my question, how (without a smartphone) do you get roadside service with AAA if you keep your AAA card at your winter home? Ie, I can't figure why you would have a AAA card and not always have it with you. For me, it has little to do with hotels and mostly to do with roadside service. (Plus there are non-hotel places that give discounts when you show your AAA card.)

You may want to evaluate whether it costs you more to forego your hotel discounts than it would take for you to do a quick visit to your winter home to pick up those cards!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 10, 18 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My AAA local club is willing to email the card to me as a PDF attachment that I can print. If I lose the copy, I can easily find the email and reprint.

I do the same thing with my auto insurance cards.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:01 pm

I had my parents stay at LQ, because they're one of a few hotels offering senior rates.

Since they don't travel much, I booked under my name, but booked with a senior rate. I checked in while my parents were sitting in the lobby. The receptionist saw my ID (I can't recall, but they may have scanned as well), but no question asked about the senior rate.