Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

McIntosh Inn: The Hotel Brand That Got Away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:18 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Anyone know what really happened to McIntosh Inn? There was one near my mom's office that is now a Best Western in East Brunswick, NJ.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
Anyone know what really happened to McIntosh Inn? There was one near my mom's office that is now a Best Western in East Brunswick, NJ.
All I can say (again from a quick Google search) is that there used to be a website:

http://mcintoshinn.com

but it's now a domain up for sale. And that link is at a LinkedIn page, but I'm not a LinkedIn member, so I can't explore further.

But anyway, if they surrendered their website, it sure looks like they went "poof", since different McIntosh Inn properties became different brands (another one became a Holiday Inn Express, for example).
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Like that one in Princeton that is now a Comfort Inn...

i read somewhere that mcintosh inn started in 1974. does anyone know what they were like at one point? my mom used to work near one in east brunswick, back when she was an educator.

The name McIntosh Inn kind of sounds like Macintosh computers, lol.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 6, 2019 at 2:09 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:55 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
My gut feeling is that Choice Hotels probably bought the McIntosh Brand and merged the hotels into whichever of its existing brands made the most sense (since a quick Google Search show a bunch of previously McIntosh Inns as being either Comfort Inn or Quality Inn). But I can find no proof of this theory of mine.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stc
My gut feeling is that Choice Hotels probably bought the McIntosh Brand and merged the hotels into whichever of its existing brands made the most sense (since a quick Google Search show a bunch of previously McIntosh Inns as being either Comfort Inn or Quality Inn). But I can find no proof of this theory of mine.
Or Best Western? I know because the one near my mom's office used to be a McIntosh Inn.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:08 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Or Best Western? I know because the one near my mom's office used to be a McIntosh Inn.
I didn't find any others that were Best Westerns and a bunch that were Comfort / Quality Inns. So, if I was going to bet, I would bet on Comfort / Quality Inn.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could it be that this particular property converted twice, once from McIntosh Inn to Choice, and then from Choice to Best Western?

I've seen plenty of threads on FlyerTalk about hotels which went through double conversions (program A to program B to program C).

If it's near your mom's office, perhaps you know where to find a series of old phone books (say, at a local library?), to look up the history of that location over time, to see if it went through more than one conversion? Or perhaps go to that hotel during a weekday and see if the manager knows something about the hotel's history?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Could it be that this particular property converted twice, once from McIntosh Inn to Choice, and then from Choice to Best Western?

I've seen plenty of threads on FlyerTalk about hotels which went through double conversions (program A to program B to program C).

If it's near your mom's office, perhaps you know where to find a series of old phone books (say, at a local library?), to look up the history of that location over time, to see if it went through more than one conversion? Or perhaps go to that hotel during a weekday and see if the manager knows something about the hotel's history?
I don't think it was a Choice Hotel. And FTR, I don't live in Jersey no more. My mom was an educator, and she had employees stay at that hotel when it was a McIntosh Inn. I will not give you her number, but she knows what she has seen.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it was a Choice Hotel. And FTR, I don't live in Jersey no more. My mom was an educator, and she had employees stay at that hotel when it was a McIntosh Inn. I will not give you her number, but she knows what she has seen.
Well, you need to do some research to figure out some of these questions, rather than only relying on memories (yours and others) when they seem to conflict.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:07 pm
stc

It could be that McIntosh Inns just folded and some hotels joined the Choice (Comfort / Quality) Chain while this one chose to join Best Western (possibly because there was already a Comfort Inn nearby). I can find some Internet pages that have this phone number listed just as "East Brunswick Inn". Whatever happened seemed to happen in late 2004 or 2005.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stc
It could be that McIntosh Inns just folded and some hotels joined the Choice (Comfort / Quality) Chain while this one chose to join Best Western (possibly because there was already a Comfort Inn nearby). I can find some Internet pages that have this phone number listed just as "East Brunswick Inn". Whatever happened seemed to happen in late 2004 or 2005.
And in East Brunswick there is a Comfort Suites, so you're close. According to hotelplanner.com, the Best Western East Brunswick Inn was last rennovated in 2010 (and prepare to laugh at me, it's owned by the TownePlace Suites in Easton). But njparcels.com says the hotel was opened in 1980.

Re: the Comfort Suites in East Brunswick, that hotel appears to be from the mid-2000's (2005, I think), but I can't find the exact year it opened.

As for what used to be a McIntosh Inn in Lawrenceville New Jersey (right outside Princeton), that hotel went to Comfort Inn and then downgraded itself to Quality Inn. If I'm not mistaken, that hotel appears to be from the mid-2000's.

And for that former McIntosh Inn in Mount Laurel New Jersey, that is now a Rodeway Inn. If my research proves me correctly, that hotel appears to be from the 1970's.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 10, 2019 at 6:38 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:44 pm

I stayed at a Mcintosh in Frazer / Malvern PA in 1989 and it remained one for a decade before becoming a Holiday. There was one in North Wilmington DE that became the independent INN at Wilmington for years before very recently becoming a Holiday. So I think you are off the mark with a complete takeover by Choice, but I'm very interested. Did they get sued by Apple Macintosh? Or was it just a bad business? There is still a Mcintosh in Media PA but it lacks the apple branding so no clue if related. But I seem to remember several others around Southeastern Pennsylvania and northern Delaware. I can't believe they haven't left any footprint or explanation.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elagens
I stayed at a Mcintosh in Frazer / Malvern PA in 1989 and it remained one for a decade before becoming a Holiday. There was one in North Wilmington DE that became the independent INN at Wilmington for years before very recently becoming a Holiday. So I think you are off the mark with a complete takeover by Choice, but I'm very interested. Did they get sued by Apple Macintosh? Or was it just a bad business? There is still a Mcintosh in Media PA but it lacks the apple branding so no clue if related. But I seem to remember several others around Southeastern Pennsylvania and northern Delaware. I can't believe they haven't left any footprint or explanation.
I have no clue if Apple really did sue them.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks to the help of archive.org, McIntosh Inn was dead by the mid-2000's because most of the locations are now running as a Holiay Inn Express, with some operating as other brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.