Scandic Red Level

Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Scandic Red Level

Does anybody have any experience of how many nights you need to make Scandic Red level and what benefits you would get at this level ?

Not sure if it’s worth to credit anymore stays to Scandic chain unless they are most convenient for where I am visiting.

Thanks for any info,

Regards

DtB
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:15 am

I was wondering about this, the whole secret locked level thing is a bit weird
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by disalex
It’s apparently not worth a whole lot. The Red benefits of daily breakfast regardless of staying or not, assign Top Level membership to another, and event invitations hasn’t gotten my Nordic Choice Club Platinums to change hotels just because they also have Scandic Friends Red Level.

If you’re a big fan of eating breakfast by yourself for no charge at a Scandic hotel when not staying at a hotel, then maybe it’s worth it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by disalex
The only thing weird about it to me is that its existence is documented on the Scandic list of levels.

Marriott has a Platinum Premier level, but all their online lists stop at Platinum. Platinum Premier is "by invitation" only (no stated threshold), but its benefits are unknown if any (over Platinum benefits), and some Marriott family hotels get confusied and think it's a lower level than Platinum!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The only thing weird about it to me is that its existence is documented on the Scandic list of levels.

Marriott has a Platinum Premier level, but all their online lists stop at Platinum. Platinum Premier is "by invitation" only (no stated threshold), but its benefits are unknown if any (over Platinum benefits), and some Marriott family hotels get confusied and think it's a lower level than Platinum!
Scandic cut the “rebate” value its most-frequent staying elites get from hotel stays, so by having a published higher level without obvious benefits advertised in advance was the company’s way of holding out a public carrot to try to incentivize more loyalty from customers who may have otherwise been turned off by the devaluation of benefits Scandic Friends elites got hit with this year.

Whether or not this approach with the Red level is bizarre or not, it’s definitely part of Scandic’s marketing gimmick: “it exists, you should dream of getting it, and then be surprised”. Being able to hand out Top level status and to have free breakfast seems to be what they want to be the “wow” factor for those invited upon hitting the unpublished qualification requirement.

Scandic has more properties (and probably even more rooms) than Nordic Choice hotels, but I do better as a Nordic Choice Platinum at Nordic Choice Hotels than my related Scandic Reds have done at Scandic hotels — how much of this is due to property mix, not sure.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 28, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Scandic cut the “rebate” value its most-frequent staying elites get from hotel stays, so by having a published higher level without obvious benefits advertised in advance was the company’s way of holding out a public carrot to try to incentivize more loyalty from customers who may have otherwise been turned off by the devaluation of benefits Scandic Friends elites got hit with this year.

Whether or not this approach with the Red level is bizarre or not, it’s definitely part of Scandic’s marketing gimmick: “it exists, you should dream of getting it, and then be surprised”. Being able to hand out Top level status and to have free breakfast seems to be what they want to be the “wow” factor for those invited upon hitting the unpublished qualification requirement.

Scandic has more properties (and probably even more rooms) than Nordic Choice hotels, but I do better as a Nordic Choice Platinum at Nordic Choice Hotels than my related Scandic Reds have done at Scandic hotels — how much of this is due to property mix, not sure.
Well, the other thing about Scandic is that there's no way to earn points (or partner rewards), redeem points, or use points reasonably if you're based in quite another part of the world (eg, North America) and if you only make it to Scandinavia once every few years, ever since Scandic severed their relationship with Hilton Honors about a dozen years ago. OTOH, anyone with a Choice Privileges account can redeem for (though not earn at) most Nordic Choice properties.

I stayed at several Scandics during the few years they partnered with Hilton, but never since. I can choose from not just Nordic Choice, but Best Western and Radisson Rewards for many places in Scandinavia where Scandic might also be found (and also some places where Scandic isn't found).

Therefore for most people who only make it out to Scandinavia once every few years at most, Nordic Choice (though Choice Privileges) is practical, while Scandic (post Hilton) probably isn't.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the other thing about Scandic is that there's no way to earn points (or partner rewards), redeem points, or use points reasonably if you're based in quite another part of the world (eg, North America) and if you only make it to Scandinavia once every few years, ever since Scandic severed their relationship with Hilton Honors about a dozen years ago. OTOH, anyone with a Choice Privileges account can redeem for (though not earn at) most Nordic Choice properties.

I stayed at several Scandics during the few years they partnered with Hilton, but never since. I can choose from not just Nordic Choice, but Best Western and Radisson Rewards for many places in Scandinavia where Scandic might also be found (and also some places where Scandic isn't found).

Therefore for most people who only make it out to Scandinavia once every few years at most, Nordic Choice (though Choice Privileges) is practical, while Scandic (post Hilton) probably isn't.
For people who may have any material interest in what the Red level may mean for them as a customer at Scandic hotels, they probably are in the market for Scandinavian hotel stays way more often than once every few years.

Scandic Friends also has a lifetime Top level status mentioned publicly, but it doesn’t lay out the qualification requirements in public. Nordic Choice Club offers lifetime Gold status for 500,000 points and lifetime Platinum at 1,000,000 points and makes those requirements public — unlike Scandic Friends IIRC.

I am curious about how many Scandic nights the OP has had in the current membership year. It sounds like it’s approaching or exceeding 45 nights and could be that or more in the following year.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

For people who may have any material interest in what the Red level may mean for them as a customer at Scandic hotels, they probably are in the market for Scandinavian hotel stays way more often than once every few years.

Scandic Friends also has a lifetime Top level status mentioned publicly, but it doesn’t lay out the qualification requirements in public. Nordic Choice Club offers lifetime Gold status for 500,000 points and lifetime Platinum at 1,000,000 points and makes those requirements public — unlike Scandic Friends IIRC.

I am curious about how many Scandic nights the OP has had in the current membership year. It sounds like it’s approaching or exceeding 45 nights and could be that or more in the following year.
Hi GU Wonder,

I currently have 41 nights with another 2 booked for next week, that would leave me to get a further 2 nights by May 10th or if I don’t make that it will be 3 nights by Aug �� I have 31 nights since 1st Jan this year. I’ve never heard of Nordic Choice, sounds like I should check it out. My main hotel programs are IHG and Hilton but there seems to be very few of either of them in the Nordic countries especially Denmark. You are correct in that I was asking what benefits there are for Red Level, sounds like none that I would use. I was hoping it might be an increase in the voucher they give you to use in the bar / restaurant. I think some of the benefits they give could be interesting but only if there are Scandic Hotels near where you live, unfortunately there are none in Scotland.

I guess when I hit 45 I will just make sure to do enough to maintain top floor and credit the stays elsewhere.

Regards

DtB

Last edited by Down the back; Apr 20, 2018 at 12:30 pm Reason: To add final point re crediting elsewhere
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:18 pm

When I saw this thread I thought it was time to make my first post. I work as front desk manager in a Scandic in Stockholm and I'm currently Scandic Friends ambassador for the hotel. I'll answer any questions you have happily
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrtrader
When I saw this thread I thought it was time to make my first post. I work as front desk manager in a Scandic in Stockholm and I'm currently Scandic Friends ambassador for the hotel. I'll answer any questions you have happily
Welcome to FT.

What is your hotel’s policy like for upgrading Scandic Friends Top and Red level members to suites/junior suites?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:14 am

Welcome to FT.

What is your hotel’s policy like for upgrading Scandic Friends Top and Red level members to suites/junior suites?
Thanks!

To start a bit OT. Before the actual program there actually was a level called "Topfloor by invitation". This level was as it sounds only by invitation from CEO and in some other ocasions by top top management. The criteria was basically important people to the company and had nothing to do with the ammount of nights. I never saw anyone holding that level myself so very very reduced number of people. To the point is that on that level it said upgrade to best available room at the hotel, including ALL suites. It even said you should be prepared to downgrade other guests in order to get them the best room in that hotel.

Now to how it works now. It's not written anywere nothing about suites anymore. That means every hotel can have it's twek&rules depending on orders from General manager/Hotel Manager/Front desk Manager. I would say that if you are RED 99% of the times you get the best room (except suites). The problem with TOP level is that sometimes i've seen some hotels with arround 20-25% of the guests beeing top level. So which one do you choose to uppgrade or give the better rooms? It's not easy. RED level on the other hand you very rarely see more than 5/week in a hotel.

Bottom line suites will be given usually when hotel is full and someone has to get the suites. I'm sure if you are RED and ask it probably works but it's more difficult with TOP. Sometimes I've had to hear the housekeeping manager complain about why I've upgraded people to suites when we have other nice rooms. She complains cause it takes more time to clean (and therefore money), which is madness...

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrtrader
Thanks!

To start a bit OT. Before the actual program there actually was a level called "Topfloor by invitation". This level was as it sounds only by invitation from CEO and in some other ocasions by top top management. The criteria was basically important people to the company and had nothing to do with the ammount of nights. I never saw anyone holding that level myself so very very reduced number of people. To the point is that on that level it said upgrade to best available room at the hotel, including ALL suites. It even said you should be prepared to downgrade other guests in order to get them the best room in that hotel.

Now to how it works now. It's not written anywere nothing about suites anymore. That means every hotel can have it's twek&rules depending on orders from General manager/Hotel Manager/Front desk Manager. I would say that if you are RED 99% of the times you get the best room (except suites). The problem with TOP level is that sometimes i've seen some hotels with arround 20-25% of the guests beeing top level. So which one do you choose to uppgrade or give the better rooms? It's not easy. RED level on the other hand you very rarely see more than 5/week in a hotel.

Bottom line suites will be given usually when hotel is full and someone has to get the suites. I'm sure if you are RED and ask it probably works but it's more difficult with TOP. Sometimes I've had to hear the housekeeping manager complain about why I've upgraded people to suites when we have other nice rooms. She complains cause it takes more time to clean (and therefore money), which is madness...

Hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience.

I asked because I’ve had Nordic Choice hotels be very good about upgrading to suites/junior suites, even as some hotels in that group tend to be very good about upgrades and some hotels (or front desk staff) tend to be very miserly about allocating such upgrades. Scandic hotels seems to be overall more consistent in not allocating upgrades to suites/junior suites.

20-25% of a hotel being Top level? That seems very high to me, but given some employers move staff teams as units into hotels in the region for prolonged periods of time, that happening at some small Scandic hotels isn’t completely surprising.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:45 am

Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience.

I asked because I’ve had Nordic Choice hotels be very good about upgrading to suites/junior suites, even as some hotels in that group tend to be very good about upgrades and some hotels (or front desk staff) tend to be very miserly about allocating such upgrades. Scandic hotels seems to be overall more consistent in not allocating upgrades to suites/junior suites.

20-25% of a hotel being Top level? That seems very high to me, but given some employers move staff teams as units into hotels in the region for prolonged periods of time, that happening at some small Scandic hotels isn’t completely surprising.
As you say Scandic is good at stationing staff at other hotels during work but staff is not allowed to be Scandic Friends member as per internal rules so they don't get any benefits. They even sometimes have a General Manager living in the hotel for up to 3 months straight when they are new to a city.

The 20-25 % i saw was once one hotel with 161 rooms had 35-40 top levels (dont remember exactly), this was about 2 years ago. Those crazy figures usually happen in smaller cities where many sales people drive through and have to spend the night. But I can say that arround 10% is a rather normal ammount of top level on a tuesday or wednesday in some of the "motorway hotels".
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi mrtrader,

I actually started this thread, I now have Top floor, what I was originally asking was how many nights do you need to stay to get Red level and what are the benefits ?
Up thread someone said you get to eat breakfast at Scandic for free even if you aren't staying there, this wouldn't be much use to me because if I am ever in a city where there is a Scandic I would either be staying there or I would be staying in another hotel and having breakfast at that hotel. The other benefit of giving a top floor card to someone again I can't think of anyone I know who would benefit from this, (I live in Scotland). The only additional benefit I was hoping for was an increased voucher per night, do you know if there is an increased voucher at Red Level ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Down the back
Hi mrtrader,

I actually started this thread, I now have Top floor, what I was originally asking was how many nights do you need to stay to get Red level and what are the benefits ?
Up thread someone said you get to eat breakfast at Scandic for free even if you aren't staying there, this wouldn't be much use to me because if I am ever in a city where there is a Scandic I would either be staying there or I would be staying in another hotel and having breakfast at that hotel. The other benefit of giving a top floor card to someone again I can't think of anyone I know who would benefit from this, (I live in Scotland). The only additional benefit I was hoping for was an increased voucher per night, do you know if there is an increased voucher at Red Level ?

Thanks

DtB
The voucher is the same as Top level (150Kr), you have a higher point earning ratio of x3 (instead of x2,5 in level 3 and top). As stated before the difference is that there are just a few RED at each hotel every week so you basically always get upgraded to the better rooms and when staff see RED level they give extra extra attention so nothing goes wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.