Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Perfect Service - Less than perfect website: Taj M. Palace, Mumbai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold

The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Apollo Bunder Mumbai, IN 400 001

Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai - Almost Perfect (0 Photo)

Recently stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Mumbai for two nights, departing on the third night for the airport.  Virtually every aspect of service at the hotel was top-notch, and there are only a couple of points I would criticize noted below. 

Website and App

One of my points of criticism would be the poor Taj Hotels website and app, and the customer service related to reservations.  The website doesn't permit a guest to update or amend an existing reservation, and the app is a more limited mobile version of the website.  I had some challenging email correspondence with staff that ultimately got escalated to the Hotel Manager and they promised to look into the issues I raised but they really need to look at that and the negative impression it can give to a guest before they even arrive. 

Check In

I don't know if my treatment was "special" due to my correspondence with the hotel in advance of my stay (see above) but after being picked up at the airport by the hotel Mercedes C class, upon arrival I was greeted by a line of folks who each greeted me by name, shook my hand and was then walked directly to my room by one of the managers.  my bags were taken by the bellmen directly from the car to my room.  After showing me the room the manager handled the checkin on his iPad and then left me (it was late at night like most long-distance flights to India). 

Room

I was in a sea-view room in the Palace wing, which was an upgrade from the sea-view room in the Tower I had reserved.  The room was, in a word, fabulous: traditional heavy wood furniture, with all modern amenities discreetly hidden away.  For example, the panels of buttons to control all the room lights were located at the front door as well as on both sides of the bed.  The bathroom was all white marble with a soaking tub and separate glass shower.  The shower was just "normal" sized but otherwise a very upscale bathroom.  Overall I'd say the room looks and is equipped like a typical "luxury" hotel room in the US from about 20 plus years ago.  I know the Palace wing was the most damaged during the attacks in 2010 but I could see no signs of any damage.  I did hear voices/noise from the hallway and from the room next door (they had a small child with them) since the floors are hard stone and sound comes under the door.  Would probably help to shove a towel under the door.

Service

In a word, fantastic.  I stay in a lot of high-end (and middle and low-end) hotels and there's usually a range of experiences with staff in different functions.  What was striking at the Taj is that staff in all functions, at all levels, were uniformly warm, attentive, helpful, and professional.  All of this was without the "servile" attitude you can sometimes get in luxury hotels in developing countries.  The staff were clearly very proud of the hotel and very glad to share with guests. 

Dining

I was there from (late) Sunday night to (late) Tuesday night.  During that time I tried just a few of the restaurants:

Sea Lounge - since I was in the Palace wing I used the Sea Lounge for the buffet breakfast.  While the actual buffet area was a bit cramped, the room is lovely, light-filled in the morning, and the staff were quick and attentive.  You can go to the buffet or just order from the server.  One comment: the small round tables are so crowded with flowers, condiments, plates, lace placemats, etc. that there's really no place to put things!  I tend to get two plates at a breakfast buffet: a plate of fruit and yogurt, and a plate of bread and sliced cheese.  I had to ask a bus person to remove some of the items on the table just to have space, and I was a solo traveller!

Aquarius - I had a late lunch at this outdoor area on the terrace of the Palace wing one afternoon.  It overlooks the pool and really is atmospheric for the tropical "colonial" feel of the hotel.  Rattan or dark wood furniture with light fabrics, slowly spinning ceiling fans above.  The menu is short and basic for a pool-side lunch restaurant.  Preparation and presentation was suprisingly nice.  Service was efficient and friendly. 

Shamania - I used the breakfast buffet here another morning.  Overall great for a hotel buffet restaurant experience: prompt attentive service, wide range of selection at the buffet, no problem ordering off-menu.  The room is bright and airy at least early in the morning.

Souk - I tried this rooftop restaurant one evening.  As a solo traveller I've had varying experiences in restaurants but was really handled very well.  Seated by the windows as I requested.  The menu is Lebanese/Mediterranean and the wine list is creative.  Each dish I tried was delicious, well-presented and fresh - not always expected with this cuisine.  For example, a vegetarian Tajine with couscous actually tasted like it had been cooked from scratch, fresh vegetable broth and a mix of fresh veggies.  Attentive staff who were willing to chat with me and took care of the tables around me including couples and families. 

If you're planning to stay here then you already know that the hotel faces the Arabian Sea and is directly behind/beside the Gateway of India.  That is a great advantage but also means there is a constant flow of pedestrians around the hotel.  It also means that any car you use for a tour or to or from the airport will have to negotiate the crowded streets right around the hotel. 

I stayed in the Palace wing (the old section) and all the windows were double paned and were pretty soundproof considering I was there at the height of the Ganesh festival that involves some loud music and singing.  Only slightly heard heavy traffic noise at nighttime - motorcycle engines, etc. 

Overall

Overall one of my best hotel experiences ever.  After problems with the website/app and email service, the actual experience during my stay was almost uniformly good. 

Gym

Almost forgot to comment on the gym/fitness center.  The gym is located in the spa, and you access it by exiting the back of the Palace wing, walking through the Aquarius restaurant, by the pool, and then down a flight of outside stairs into the basement (I'm not joking).  I stayed in teh Palace wing so not too far a walk, but guests in the Towers would need to walk all the way through the public lobby and past all the restaurants in their gym togs to get there and, sweaty and tired, back.  While the gym is well-equipped for a hotel gym and had a personal trainer attendant the several times I was there, being a windowless, low-ceilinged basement space is a negative.  It's also broken up in to four separate small rooms, which only adds to the feeling of being in the former root cellar of the hotel.  Pretty much the only 'negative' to the whole hotel. 

Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai - Almost Perfect

Would you like to write a review on the The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.