Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La Jade fast track?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
Shangri-La Jade fast track?

Hi All,

I'm looking to fast track to Shangri-La Jade and do see any good options. The one night stay via Luxury Circle would've been the easiest but that benefit was removed earlier this year.

I also looked at matching via the Taj/Shangri-La Warmer Welcomes partnership but I can only buy Taj Silver via the Epicure program (used to be Gold until last year). Taj silver doesn't match to Shangri-La Jade.

I'm based in Singapore so one option is the Amex Platinum card which does get you Jade. However, the platinum card has an annual fee of SGD$1700 (around US $1200), which is more than double the US card fee. The other card benefits are of minimal value to me and I can't justify the annual fee purely to get Jade.

I don't have SQ Krisflyer Gold so matching via that partnership is not an option for me.

Finally, I called Shangri-La and asked for a status match or a challenge and they politely declined.

Any other options?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Diamond
Once or twice a year they have a 2x points / 2x stays promotion, so to qualify for Jade, rather than 20 nights, you would only need 10. You could book a Hotel Jen in Malaysia or so for two weeks if that works for you and you really want to get to Jade.

Having said that, I honestly don't remember there being much benefits coming from being Jade. You can't use the executive lounge and I don't recall any welcome gifts. You really want to try to aim for Diamond.

If I remember correctly there's a credit card in Singapore that can get you KF Elite Gold. That could be your best bet (It was from one of the foreign banks, Stan Chart or HSBC, maybe ANZ).
Old May 17, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
Thanks, 18Hours.

I will keep an eye out for the 2x promo. I agree the Shangri-La Jade benefits are average. My ultimate goal is to get to KF Gold as my current *G is expiring soon.

I have scanned the various non-Amex card issuers and have not come across one that gives KF Gold. Would you happen to recall which bank it was?

Thank you
Old May 19, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
If I remember correctly it's the Krisflyer Ascend Amex Card that you can spend on that gives KF Elite Gold, but I think it's a promotion of some kind.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:11 am

You need to spend S$15,000 on SQ, not just a general spend requirement, so this may not suit OP's requirements:

Accelerated upgrade to KrisFlyer Elite Gold membership tier

Spend above S$15,000 on eligible purchases made on singaporeair.com within the first 12 months upon Card approval to be automatically upgraded to the KrisFlyer Elite Gold Membership tier.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Jade for US based Amex Plat?

Does US based Amex Plat get Jade SL status?
Don't remember seeing it in the benefits list. Has HH, Starwood and Marriott Gold listed.
Jade does get you free brekkie for 2, IIRC. Not too shabby at all.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by siliconflyer
Does US based Amex Plat get Jade SL status?
Don't remember seeing it in the benefits list. Has HH, Starwood and Marriott Gold listed.
Jade does get you free brekkie for 2, IIRC. Not too shabby at all.
Not sure. Do you have Amex Plat? Maybe worth giving them a call.

All the European and Asian AMEX Platinum do have it now.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

yes, I have Amex Plat as mentioned in my post. But it wasn't in the bene list.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

SW: yes, it may be worth calling Amex CS. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Can any elite members here verify how does Shangri La credits a qualifying stay?
I know for other brands - as long as you stay 1 night, and check out, and do not check in again consecutively on the same day you check out, the system will record it as 1 qualifying stay.

I'm considering doing multiple mattress runs for 10 nights in Malaysia to reach Jade status.
So for example,

Night 1 - KL Shangri-la
Night 2 - KL Jen Hotel
Night 3 - KL Shangri-la
Night 4 - KL Jen Hotel
etc to Night 10

Do you think, this will work to earn my status fast track?
I did the math, on avg - per night is about $100 usd, for 10 nights, $1000, doesn't seem too bad to just status to qualify for Krisflyer Gold in *A.

Also, if elite members here can share how fast the system usually credit nights will be much appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Nights get credited pretty fast. 1-2 weeks after stay

it will take longer to so your 3 legs for kfeg and then wait to qualify about 3 months to get status matched for me after my sq flights.

Imho its best to do your mattress run at the start of the year so you get jade until the end of next year so you can have it for almost 2 years.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
apart from the mattress runs in Malaysia, any other ways to get matched to Jade? I could not find any other credit cards giving this status.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by elephentravels
apart from the mattress runs in Malaysia, any other ways to get matched to Jade? I could not find any other credit cards giving this status.
Amex Plat charge card (from certain countries at least) will get you Jade.

This might be cheaper than a status run.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kzap
Nights get credited pretty fast. 1-2 weeks after stay

it will take longer to so your 3 legs for kfeg and then wait to qualify about 3 months to get status matched for me after my sq flights.

Imho its best to do your mattress run at the start of the year so you get jade until the end of next year so you can have it for almost 2 years.
Thanks for sharing data points.. I did the math.. It will cost about $1k++ usd if I were to find cheap rates in Malaysia.
But the status match time frame is quite bothersome..

- eleph: unfortunately, there is no other fast track methods for US people. If you have a AUS plat, you can do what stargold suggested..
But Shringla has really small footprint and their cheapest properties are ONLY in south east asian countries like malaysia.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

HSBC Jade account gives complimentary Shangri-La Jade membership

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.