HARD ROCK??!! please HELP!

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

HARD ROCK??!! please HELP!

So we have been traveling for free or close to free in the continental USA for a while now. However, we were just invited to a wedding in Punta Cana in November. Obviously we will fly for free with SW. However, everyone is staying in the all inclusive Hard Rock hotel. We were quoted $2300 for 2 people for 5 nights. Which, to a person who has been traveling for free (or almost free), seems astronomical. Does anyone have any ideas of how to decrease our out of pocket cost?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Stay elsewhere? But you'll probably end up spending a lot of time where the wedding party is which may end up costing you a lot. To me it sounds like a good deal overall. $2300 for 2 people all inclusive for 5 nights.

Stay for only 2-3 nights?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel Hustle:

https://wandr.me/hotel-tools/hotel-hustle/

shows only 2 points hotels in the Punta Cana area, both near the airport, a Westin and a Four Points (both SPG program). They have low cash rates too, for a sample date of Nov 1 (you weren't specific about the date). So you'd obviously have to stay apart from everyone else and get a rental car or use taxis or whatever; if you look at a map, you'll see the Hard Rock is at the northern end of Punta Cana while the airport is on the southern end.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything you could do short of how it always works for indie hotels: Try to see if there's a credit card with a points program that lets you earn big enough signup points and whose points can be used to book that particular hotel. (Don't assume that a points program that can book a wide variety of hotels can always book a specific one. And you'd want to find someone who has points in that program to tell you how many points that hotel requires, before you commit to the card, in case even with a signup bonus it's unrealistic.)

Or, if you don't need to be onsite, but don't want to be as far away as the airport, you'll check have to check third-party hotel booking sites with a map and see what more-reasonbly-priced hotels might be nearer by.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How do you travel for free?

To your question; staying in a Hard Rock hotel sounds like a nightmare to me, but $2,300 all inclusive for five nights sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you don't want all that jazz, just stay at a simple hotel somewhere nearby.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Seems like you're faced with either paying to stay there or choosing somewhere else cheaper. I don't like all-inclusives and haven't been to the DR so I don't know what a good price is for lodging there (AI or not), or what other options there are.

Just do some research and find out other lodging options as well as transport options to get to the Hard Rock for the wedding related events. Decide on whatever is the best value to you. Or don't go if you can't afford it or don't wish to spend the money.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

lol, really!? Telling me that I have an option of not going doesn't seem very helpful. I am very well aware that's an option. I was looking for something more along the lines of "you can use such and such points" or they use "such and such credit card". I did look in nearby options and what I can tell you is I can easily take my whole family of 6 to stay in a nearby resort for the same price that I would be paying staying at Hard Rock for just me and my husband (2 people). So no, I don't feel like I am getting a good deal. I am looking for any info on how to actually save $ while staying at Hard Rock.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How are we to know what cards and points you have available to you to reduce the costs?You asked for ideas on how to reduce costs. Ideas have been presented that you may not like but they are valid.

Good luck getting help.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:05 pm

I think we paid roughly that amount for two, including airfare out of SFO for 7 nights at Riu Palace so ya $2300 sounds pretty expensive esp. if that doesn't include airfare. although I guess it depends on the time of year/demand etc.

but sticking on topic, I don't believe they are networked with any points or miles system. The only thing I could think of is if you are able to "spend" airline miles through a portal to book a room, or use a card like CapitalOne Venture to have the charges reimbursed.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You say "we were quoted". Was this a group rate booked by the wedding party? If so, look around on your own and you may get a lower rate at the Hard Rock for 2 people (I've done this before). Maybe you can book a lower quality room than they initially booked for the group. Also, do you have any points that you can use like cash to pay for part of the booking (i.e. Amex MR)?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

yes, that's exactly what I wanted to find out. Does Hard Rock have any point programs? From what I have seen its an independent hotel. So I am at a loss of how to get miles or points applied to it. But that's exactly what I am after.... So if someone does know of any mile or point programs that Hard Rock is involved in then please let me know.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

The $2300 was quoted by the wedding travel agent. I did look around on my own and found very comparable rates ($2260). I wouldn't mind a cheaper room. Also, does Hard Rock ever run any specials? Maybe someone has seen a Groupon on it or something alike?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You will get better responses if you provide your actual travel dates. Try flying in early morning and out late at night to shave a couple of hotel nights off the bill.

Last edited by Low Roller; Jan 13, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Still curious about the free travel bit. Would love to know more.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Irka
lol, really!? Telling me that I have an option of not going doesn't seem very helpful. I am very well aware that's an option. I was looking for something more along the lines of "you can use such and such points" or they use "such and such credit card". I did look in nearby options and what I can tell you is I can easily take my whole family of 6 to stay in a nearby resort for the same price that I would be paying staying at Hard Rock for just me and my husband (2 people). So no, I don't feel like I am getting a good deal. I am looking for any info on how to actually save $ while staying at Hard Rock.
There is no need to be snotty.

What's not helpful is coming here and expecting others to be your free travel agent. We don't know what hotel points you have, what bank program points you have, specific dates, etc. More information can enable folks to be helpful.

Have you clearly stated upfront that your one and only option is staying at the Hard Rock, it would have been helpful. Your OP read as if you were looking for alternative lodging options besides the high price quoted at the Hard Rock.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Still curious about the free travel bit. Would love to know more.
Ditto +1, would be interesting to know!

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.