Wiki Posts
Search

Late checkout - your luck

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Priority Club Plat, National Executive
Late checkout - your luck

Curious to see what luck everyone has had with late checkouts across various hotels overall.

I generally only will get Noon to 2 pm with any amount of consistency unless I book using Amex FHR if the property participates.

What luck have you had and what level status do you have?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by kitkitsune
Curious to see what luck everyone has had with late checkouts across various hotels overall.

I generally only will get Noon to 2 pm with any amount of consistency unless I book using Amex FHR if the property participates.

What luck have you had and what level status do you have?
I see you're SPG Gold, you get 4pm late check-out guaranteed unless the property is categorized as a convention/resort hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
And Starwood hotels overall are pretty good about giving you a 4pm check-out, but there are a few hotels that don't seem to want to play by the rules. There are threads in most of the specific hotel forums around late checkouts and how good/bad they are.

Omni does have a nice late check-out policy for their top two elite levels (with their top level getting a 6pm check-out, though based on availability unfortunately.) I'm not either of those levels with Omni so I can't really say how good/bad their are.

I have had very good luck with Loews hotel's late checkouts. All 3 YouFirst elite levels are supposed to get a late check-out (up to 3 hrs beyond normal checkouts). And I have almost always been able to get at least that (and even later once or twice.)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can depend a lot on the specifics. Not just the hotel, but how heavily it's booked, your status, etc. As an HH Gold (dunno if that had anything to do with it), I was able to get a late checkout of 6 pm at the Hilton Buenos Aires on a Saturday. Does that mean that someone else can get a late checkout of even 5 pm at a different Hilton on a Tuesday afternoon when it's very heavily booked for that night? (I have my doubts.)

So it's hard to know, without a lot of experience with requesting late checkout in each program, how much of it is the program and how of it is other factors.

Thus "luck" (really meaning the circumstances in which you asked for late checkout) may indeed have a lot to do with it, and how much can you really learn from reports of random "luck"?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Agree with above post - it depends, i.e., YMMV

Hyatt gives me my 4PM late checkout all the time with the occasional hotel staff member banging on door, while disregarding the DND sign, questioning my check out time.

Kimpton IC is (was?) generous elsewhere but not good for late checkouts. I think I got until 1PM once.

Club Carlson has been hit and miss as a credit card gold. Examples: Bahrain was until ~6PM. Madrid was a no go. Aruba was good to go until near flight time (forgot how late).

SPG varied from hotel to hotel even with the so-called guarantee as a PLT. Hotels made up rules as they went along, mostly not in my favor, albeit some were very generous.

Marriott has been mixed as well. Gold via UA 1K and other promos for a number of years now. Sao Paulo was ~ 7PM. Others not so late.

Hilton was very hotel dependent as a diamond and I haven't asked as a gold.

IHG as as a PLT Ambassador also fits into the mixed results bag. Lower end hotels in the US, such as HIX, seem to be much stingier than higher end and non-US hotels. E.g., HIX in Philly gave me a noon check out (yea - not!).

In general, where the flights are late leaving, the hotels seem to be a bit more generous (e.g., GRU, HNL, BAH and as noted EZE (assuming it wasn't AEP)). Others are more hit and miss except with Hyatt where the late check rules seem to be followed.

Cheers
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Kempton Shorebreak offered 1pm for $50, not cool IMHO, or 4pm for $125. At that point I might as well stay another night almost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.