Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Karma Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:11 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
KimptonInTouch (Susan) : Your contribution and presence on FT is sincerely appreciated and fits perfectly with how excellent Kimpton is with guests. If I saw an increase in posts from you I wouldn't think that anything nefarious was going on. I would welcome it.

Congratulations on the launch and website redesign! The new tier levels will definitely entice new members to "move up" once they get a taste of the good life. You also came through on your reassurance that IC benefits would remain intact. Thank you.

Two specific questions:

1) "Direct access to Kimpton Hotels’ CEO via the Inner Circle VIP Line and exclusive email address. This number is accessible when an Inner Circle member is signed into their online profile."

Where is this actually found? Even before the program refresh I was never provided this information and I currently do not see it when I sign in.

2) In follow up to my previous post this morning and mentioned by others, can you please define reward availability and how it has changed for the better if at all for Inner Circle members since the Karma launch? The FAQ has been altered from this morning and I was clearly bummed out since the property I was looking at has Deluxe rooms available and the text was very specific but not honored when I called. See my earlier post for cut and copy of script featuring "if Deluxe rooms available", "no blackout dates", and "without restriction."

What gives?
Hi Roger,

Always great to read your thoughtful posts. Thank you for your kind words.

To answer your questions, the "Direct access to Kimpton Hotels’ CEO" is absolutely a benefit of being an Inner Circle member. In the past we've provided Mike's number in our welcome email or (before we went green) on our Inner Circle card holders. Unfortunately, we had to pull his info from our website just before we launched the program yesterday because of a technical glitch. Please email [email protected] (or Private-Message me) for Mike's info. We hope to have the number back where it belongs in the very near future.

Reward availability means that each hotel has a set amount of reward inventory each night. We've now set aside a larger allocation for Inner Circle members than members in other tiers. When you see room availability on the website, please note that this may not necessarily be reward availability.

And yes, an older version of the FAQs appeared on our site for a couple of hours yesterday before we caught it, but this really doesn't change anything about the reward night availability - we've always had a limited amount of reward inventory and the only change is making more of the rooms available for Inner Circles.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
Uh oh - our apologies for this. Some of our members did have an issue with passwords (due to tighter security standards on the website), but we’re hoping we’ve fixed the problem now. Please try to reset your password, keeping in mind the following:

•Your new password must contain 8 characters and 1 number
•You cannot include your name or any part of your email address in the password

Let me know how it goes.

Susan
Thanks Susan! I did reset it, with 6 letters and 2 numbers, but still nothing. Is it at least one number or only one number? I assumed at least, but I suppose I could create a password with 7 letters and 1 number.
Edited to add: I'm assuming 8 characters including at least one number here.

Last edited by AtypicalProf; Jul 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm Reason: Edited to add: I'm assuming 8 characters including at least one number
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:44 pm

Taken from FAQ under "good stuff" with grammatical error left in...

[Why do Inner Circle members have no blackout dates when redeeming free nights?

Just another way to make them feel extra special. Free night rewards are good for one deluxe category room. If a hotel has a deluxe category room available then an Inner Circle members can redeem a free night reward, without restriction.]

Bunk!

Just tried to redeem a reward at a property in September that shows Deluxe Guest Rooms for King and Doubles. Was told that there were no rooms available for redemption. I referenced the faq above and after a brief hold, was genuinely thanked for pointing out the discrepancy and that a supervisor will make sure that the wording is clarified to include the words "certificate availability." "We are still working out the kinks."

Bad Karma!

Still haven't sifted through all of the changes yet, but in my experience greater award availability has not happened.
Roger,

Kimpton Culpa!

You're right - that was total bunk. But it was unintentional bunk as opposed to the malevolent kind. Our FAQs ended up being one of our biggest glitches yesterday. For a couple of hours we ended up with both old and new versions in a mish-mash of mis-information, as you noticed. With what you posted above, that's not even the answer that goes with that question. Very embarrassing for us, and the info on the site now is correct.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by AtypicalProf
Thanks Susan! I did reset it, with 6 letters and 2 numbers, but still nothing. Is it at least one number or only one number? I assumed at least, but I suppose I could create a password with 7 letters and 1 number.
Edited to add: I'm assuming 8 characters including at least one number here.
Oh no! Let me message you and see if I can help!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you enter the last 4 digits of your CC into your account, when you use that same credit card to dine at one of our restaurants, we recognize you with some extra Kimpton Karma. Kimpton Karma does all sorts of cool things, including helping you to move through tiers more quickly, or stay in the tier you're already in. It's kind of magic like that.
How would I tell whether I got some? Would my stays/nights YTD advance? That's the only place I can tell whether I've requalified yet for my current status... (there is a section called Your 2014 Tier Progress, but it shows all four icons fully lit up, even though I haven't requalified yet -- so I'm not sure what it's supposed to tell me or whether that's just a bug.)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Kimpton Karma Rewards

Traveling with limited WiFi access but I haven't seen a response to the suite "issue." The way I read the changes in this thread: IC members are no longer getting suites. The verbiage isn't as the suggested clarification above that suites may be provided if available, rather in the new program, suites will not be provided to IC members even if available. While this may not be what was intended, this is what the Karma's new rules state. Can we get confirmation (and hopefully better verbiage). I am letting my SPG plt status fall by the wayside b/c of its ridiculous upgrade process and the failure to police known game playing. While I know Kimpton isn't SPG, there will be desk agents quoting the new verbiage and stating how they hope that I enjoy my upgrade to a room away from the elevator. Best available excluding suites certainly sounds like no suites for IC to me.

Cheers

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 18, 2014 at 11:17 am Reason: spelling/grammar/etc
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card

Reward availability means that each hotel has a set amount of reward inventory each night. We've now set aside a larger allocation for Inner Circle members than members in other tiers. When you see room availability on the website, please note that this may not necessarily be reward availability.

And yes, an older version of the FAQs appeared on our site for a couple of hours yesterday before we caught it, but this really doesn't change anything about the reward night availability - we've always had a limited amount of reward inventory and the only change is making more of the rooms available for Inner Circles.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!
Susan-

Do I have the following correct?

The amount of reward inventory remains exactly the same as before (Pre Karma) but now Tier 1-3 members only have access to a fraction of it thus creating an advantage for IC members.

As an IC member I've tried redemptions with no success pre and post Karma (booking 3 months out and not during the summer months.) I feel for the Tier 1-3 member going gray trying to use a certificate.

I need some real tips for making these certificates work. In the meantime I will be changing my stay preferences to:
Additional yoga mat in my room (one to exercise upon and one to chew on out of frustration) and sweet treat = baby aspirin.

Examples for reference of failed redemption attempts on specific dates: San Diego (Palomar or Salomar) in September and Denver (Monaco) in October.

Does the reward inventory expand/open up as a date gets closer similar to how first class seats are held for revenue before finally being made available as an upgrade at the eleventh hour?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Suite Upgrade Language Clarity

As far as upgrades go, we'll do our best to put you in a suite if it's available upon check in. That's always been our policy and we haven't changed that - we simply clarified in our T&Cs that it's not a guarantee (never has been) and is based on the discretion of the hotels. But chances are, you'll still be kicking back in an awesome room whenever you're with us.
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Thanks for the info. You might be better off saying something in the T&C like "Room upgrades are to the next available room class. Suite upgrades are subject to availability and not guaranteed." -- that would avoid confusion, since the current wording sure sounds like suite upgrades are impossible.
Originally Posted by dparkinson
I'm going to second the suggestion for clarity in the suite upgrade language. I know many of us SPG converts came over because we were sick and tired of the front desks of SPG hotels trying to weasel out of giving plats suite upgrades.
It sounds like we are ALL in agreement on clarifying the language that suites are not and have never been guaranteed but are up to the discretion of the property. If that is the intention it would make sense to remove the words "excludes suites" from the T&Cs.

The motion has been moved and seconded.
All those in favor say "aye" those opposed say "no."

Aye!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:27 am

Oh no! Let me message you and see if I can help!
I've figured it out, thanks. It was a Firefox issue (not allowing me to update a saved password).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:33 am

My Passport on new website?

I can't seem to find the section that lists how many different Kimpton hotels I've visited this year on the new website. It was called "My Passport" or something like that on the prior site. I know that I can count from looking through my past stays, but the visual image was nice and a good reminder when I reached 9 to try for one more stay! Those two extra bonus nights are always great!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Yeah but can you use those free nights?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
Yeah but can you use those free nights?
. Good point. So far, I honestly haven't had many problems (knock on wood). My profile says I've redeemed 24 nights over the past few years. I wasn't able to use my new hotel reward for the Philly Monaco last year --but that's been the only time that I recall having difficulty. That said, I may travel at unpopular times. I also haven't tried to book anything since April of this year--things may have worsened over the past few months. I'll be calling later next week to try to book something (I'm out of the US now), and will post an update then. Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Let me hit this again. Any T&C that allows the hotel to decide whether to give out a suite or not is heading for trouble. Understanding that ANY upgrade isn't guaranteed, why single out suites? IMO this is the key question. Why suites? If the room is empty, why not give it to one of your top tier members? There has been radio silence on this matter from Kimpton since it has been questioned but I hope we can get an answer.

If the new no suite rule sticks, will we have to start FT threads and keep a list of Kimpton hotels that continue to provide suites to IC members vs hotels that do not?

Cheers

Edit:
Finally have real WiFi access (was in Mongolia) and have read at least some of the verbiage on the the Kimpton website:

Simply tell us at check-in that you would like to use your free upgrade and if it is available, it is yours. It’s good toward at least the next room category, is based on availability and excludes suites. Remember, these upgrades expire after one year. But who knows with a little Kimpton Karma (and our hotel’s discretion) you might just find yourself kicking back in one of our fabulous suites.
With the "simply tell us" and the "expire after one year" language, doe this apply to IC too? Do I now have to request upgrades as an IC? Kimpton hotels have always been applied b/f I checked in. And what does "next room category" actually mean? Hilton-esque? e.g.,
Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors**, as identified by each property
Also, the Benefits chart and the FAQ'S verbiage don't completely align. The Benefits chart states
****To the next room category
while the FAQ'S verbiage is that listed above with the suite exclusions.

It sounds like we are ALL in agreement on clarifying the language that suites are not and have never been guaranteed but are up to the discretion of the property. If that is the intention it would make sense to remove the words "excludes suites" from the T&Cs.

The motion has been moved and seconded.
All those in favor say "aye" those opposed say "no."

Aye!

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 20, 2014 at 8:34 am
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was amazed that my stay from yesterday posted to my newly-converted Karma account only a few hours after checkout. I believe it used to take a few days!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
One of the things that I referenced in my post on my perception of Kimpton stealth devaluations was the disparity between on-property benefits, and the unclarity of the T&Cs.

For the lower tier confirmed upgrades, there is a clear comparison that can be made with Hyatt. In that case, the upgrades are cleared in advance, and you typically are told ahead of time which suite is guaranteed. Sometimes, the property will go above and beyond the guarantee, but you are 99.9% (there are always exceptions) confirmed into at least a base level suite. At Kimpton, it sounds like the 'confirmed' upgrade will simply be a guarantee of a single level bump over the room booked. So, if I was staying at EPIC, I wouldn't be guaranteed into a suite, and it would be OK by the T&Cs to put me in a water view, if I booked a city view (as an example). Because of this, I think it will useful for us to set up a FT on room upgrades. This won't be totally reliable, because once again, it sounds like the upgrade will depend in large part on occupancy levels and the whims of the local staff.

At IC, there is a very, very, very, very simple fix that could be made to the language, which would reflect reality: change "suites excluded" to "specialty suites excluded." This has always been the case. I don't expect a penthouse at Eventi in NYC, but my reasoning for booking at that hotel is 110% the result of the fact that I'm typically going to be put in an executive suite.

There were two things that I really hoped for out of the new loyalty program: 1) clearer T&Cs; 2) better award availability. So far, the jury is out on both. I've tried to book one award, and there was no availability. The T&Cs seem marginally better, but there is definitely room to tighten the language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.