Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Kimpton silently changes free night expiration from 2 years to 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down Kimpton silently changes free night expiration from 2 years to 1

Lame: Newly earned free night coupons expire after 1 year, rather than the previous 2 years. No notification of this change was provided, other than this buried within the terms and conditions:
Complimentary Night Rewards have a one-year expiration date (For all Complimentary Room Night Rewards posted before July 1, 2013, the previous two-year expiration date will be honored).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Lame: Newly earned free night coupons expire after 1 year, rather than the previous 2 years. No notification of this change was provided, other than this buried within the terms and conditions:
Complimentary Night Rewards have a one-year expiration date (For all Complimentary Room Night Rewards posted before July 1, 2013, the previous two-year expiration date will be honored).
Ruh-roh.

You know, the policy change itself doesn't bother me as much as the lack of advanced notice. Come on Kimpton, you're far better at customer relations than this move suggests!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: all
I'm surprised Kimpton would do this without notice. they are generally the most customer friendly program
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The change doesn't bother me all that much, in part because the free nights earned prior to July 1 will still have the 2 year expiration date. It's not as if they said, "Effective July 1, all free nights expire within 1 year, so if you earned any over a year ago, they're wiped out now."
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Yeah, but it's still the sort of change that would be nice to notify people about. It's pretty random when you earn your rewards and whether you happen to earn them before or after the policy change.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wow. Can't believe anybody would complain about Kimpton's generosity. I think that if you compare them against the other chains e.g., Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. you wouldn't say anything except "thank you!"
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by ldsant
Wow. Can't believe anybody would complain about Kimpton's generosity. I think that if you compare them against the other chains e.g., Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. you wouldn't say anything except "thank you!"
Well, believe it. That is exactly the kind of surreptitious behavior that has driven many of us from some of those programs and into Kimpton's more welcoming arms. I agree that it's exceptionally lame, and quite a bit beneath Kimpton's usual standard of customer service. I think the one-year expiration is still quite reasonable, but I truly hope this isn't indicative of how Kimpton will be doing things going forward.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Yeah, but it's still the sort of change that would be nice to notify people about. It's pretty random when you earn your rewards and whether you happen to earn them before or after the policy change.
It would have been nice for them to send an email, but who knows, maybe they had an email glitch.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ldsant

Its not about complaining. It actually the fact that such an amazing company like kimpton would make a change like this without notice. It is just not like them. Hope this is a one time event and not the start of a trend.....for Kimpton
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Where did you see this? Is it on the Kimpton website? In an email?

Cheers -

Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Where did you see this? Is it on the Kimpton website? In an email?
http://www.kimptonhotels.com/intouch/KIT_terms.aspx

Silent change. Like a ninja!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Interesting. I was on the phone with a Kimpton Customer Service Rep yesterday, and she informed me that free nights are good for 2 years. so I guess they haven't updated their employees yet...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Is there a Kimpton rep on FT that can explain this? (and the stealthiness of the change)

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:47 pm

There was a kimpton rep by the name of Maggie I think on the board
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:01 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Well, believe it. That is exactly the kind of surreptitious behavior that has driven many of us from some of those programs and into Kimpton's more welcoming arms. I agree that it's exceptionally lame, and quite a bit beneath Kimpton's usual standard of customer service. I think the one-year expiration is still quite reasonable, but I truly hope this isn't indicative of how Kimpton will be doing things going forward.
I would disagree that the 1 year expiration is quite reasonable. I wasn't tickled about the previous 2 year policy. At other programs your points don't expire if you have any account activity. Admittedly, they occasionally change reward requirements devaluing points.

This would obviously seem to be their way of reigning in their generosity and limiting their liability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.