Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
Hoping for some info here.....

My company is sending me to Manila for two months. They will be putting me up at the EDSA Shangri-la.
I've signed up for the rewards program.

So, what will 59 nights get me??? Hopefully it's not just based on stays.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
With 59 nights you will earn Diamond Status, though not until a couple weeks after check-out. They do not reward you with your status until the stay is posted.

Hopefully, you will get future stays within 12 months at a Shang hotel, or the status will truly be a wasted effort.

The points you accrue will be redeemable for nights or other rewards, the "value" of those points will vary based on where you choose to redeem them. For example, you will get more value redeeming them in the Philippines than you will in France.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
I got a membership card in the mail yesterday, around half a year after I signed up. Do they do their mailing this infrequently? (Granted, the package was pretty nice)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:00 am

If you redeem for the "food and beverage voucher" and can't spend the entire amount in one setting, can you keep the reminder of the voucher value, or do you just lose the rest?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:29 am

Per the T&C use it or lose it.
I therefore redeemed for $50 GC instead of $100
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Limit per bill, person or table when redeeming vouchers?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by skaya
Limit per bill, person or table when redeeming vouchers?
Dining voucher limit: 2 per table
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Dining voucher limit: 2 per table
I think thats the old rules.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Island Shangri-La Hong Kong recently? How has the hotel held up? I stayed there in 2007/2008 with my family and we enjoyed it greatly, but I am wondering how it compares to the current crop of hotels (FS, LMO, etc.) as they're pretty much the same price for Amex FHR. Reviews on TripAdvisor mention that the rooms are getting old and may not be maintained all that well anymore, but you know how reliable TripAdvisor reviews are...

The reason why I'm considering the Island Shangri-La is location, as it's convenient to the Airport Express and Pacific Place, tourist attractions such as the Peak and HK Park, etc. The view is probably better than the Peninsula too, as I'm not going to pay the exorbitant rate for their Harbour View room there, whereas the Shangri-La automatically comes with a peak view room and I'm likely to be upgraded to a harbor view room thanks to FHR. I'll be taking my GF who has not been to Hong Kong before and I'd like to show her around, but we only have a 1.5 day layover in HK before continuing to Singapore. Another reason is that the Amex FHR rate includes one airport transfer and I want to try out the RR transfer (yes, I'll probably have to pay extra as it's usually a Mercedes S-class, but that's fine) and the Peninsula charges $1600HKD for their transfer.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Hi Everyone,

My company is sending me to Manila for two months. They will be putting me up at the EDSA Shangri-la.

Can you break the stay and check out for a night? This may help you get some benefits during your stay.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uanj
Can you break the stay and check out for a night? This may help you get some benefits during your stay.
Thats worth it even if you have to pay for a night elsewhere. Lots of cheap and great hotels in Manila/Makati. Or just take a quick trip to Boracay.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:55 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
ISL

I was up in one of the suites ag the ISL earlier today for a meeting. Looked just fine to me, no visible 'wear and tear'. To the contrary, I thought is was very well apointed and mentained.
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Has anyone stayed at the Island Shangri-La Hong Kong recently? How has the hotel held up? I stayed there in 2007/2008 with my family and we enjoyed it greatly, but I am wondering how it compares to the current crop of hotels (FS, LMO, etc.) as they're pretty much the same price for Amex FHR. Reviews on TripAdvisor mention that the rooms are getting old and may not be maintained all that well anymore, but you know how reliable TripAdvisor reviews are...

The reason why I'm considering the Island Shangri-La is location, as it's convenient to the Airport Express and Pacific Place, tourist attractions such as the Peak and HK Park, etc. The view is probably better than the Peninsula too, as I'm not going to pay the exorbitant rate for their Harbour View room there, whereas the Shangri-La automatically comes with a peak view room and I'm likely to be upgraded to a harbor view room thanks to FHR. I'll be taking my GF who has not been to Hong Kong before and I'd like to show her around, but we only have a 1.5 day layover in HK before continuing to Singapore. Another reason is that the Amex FHR rate includes one airport transfer and I want to try out the RR transfer (yes, I'll probably have to pay extra as it's usually a Mercedes S-class, but that's fine) and the Peninsula
charges $1600HKD for their transfer.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by JRK; Apr 7, 2014 at 8:57 am Reason: clean up
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:06 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
long stay/ min property requirements

Hi Everyone,

As some others have mentioned it might be well worth to break the stay and move over to Borocay or Cebu for some weekends. Even more so, as there could be a rule that you have to stay at a certain number of properties to achieve a status level. Not sure if this requirement was scraped in the latest T+C's, but worth to check.

The other thing to watch out for is long stay rates. They normally are not GC eligible! If you are on a corporate rate you should be fine, but if you are on a long stay rate, it might be worthwhile to reach out to your sales contact early and explore what can be done.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Quick Question: What booking site or agent should I go through to get the best rate at a Shangri-La? The rates on their website is very high compared to other comparable hotels.

Do they use a consolidator?

Any help is appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:54 pm

Which hotel? What dates?
I find the hotels consistently have promotions about 60 days out and you need to get on their email list to see everything that's available. Some hotels do not discount due to high demand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.