Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

New Hotels.com Welcome Reward Rules

Old Jan 14, 10, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO

First off, I don't have allegiance to any one hotel, usually I pick the one closest to the airport. This is one reason I loved Hotels.com. Find a hotel for at least $40 and stay 10 nights, and earn a free night at any hotel up to 400$.

Today I just got an email saying their entire rewards program is changing. The free night will be worth an average of the 10 nights you spend at other hotels and they are dropping the 400$ maximum limit.

I think its time to invest in SPG or another hotel program, because this just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Original email
Greetings welcomerewards™ member!

We will be making some changes to the program which will go into effect on March 9, 2010.¹
Upcoming welcomerewards™ features:
You can now earn unlimited free nights every year.
We've removed limits on minimum room rates to count towards your 10 nights.
We've extended the expiration of welcome rewards credits to 36 months from the date they are earned.
Take advantage of program flexibility - use your reward night value towards a higher room rate and just pay the difference.
Your free night will be valued at the average daily rate of the 10 nights you stayed to earn it.*
Old Jan 15, 10, 1:23 am

I've actually written Hotels.com twice today to suggest they do NOT change this program. If they did their rewards program would be no better than your average hotel club. I've booked approx. 80 nights w/ hotels.com in 2009 but w/ the new changes I can see myself booking elsewhere. Maybe if we all write to them we can get them to keep it the way it is. What are the chances?

Also, any suggestions on the a better hotel booking site that offers similar rewards? Where do we go from here if Hotels.com does this?

BTW ~ Brand new to this site. Love it.

~Delphi Tefnut
Old Jan 15, 10, 3:26 am

Grandfather Clause?

I've emailed hotels.com so I'll post a reply unless someone else has already received a response...I was wondering for those of us who have a reward stay already, are we grandfathered in to the old terms/conditions?

Meaning, can we still hold on to our reward stays after March 9 and still book a night for up to $400 or are they going back to our 10 nights stay and averaging that out to determine our "credit"

If we aren't grandfathered in, I would make sure to book a reservation sometime down the future (bday or anniversary date) so that I don't lose that $400 limit since my average for the 10 nights is around $150-200.

Also, if we book a reward stay before March for a future date, and we cancel to get that reward stay back, does that mean we would fall under the 10 night average rule or still retain that $400 limit.

So many questions I have about this new change...I'll respond when hotels.com emails me back
Old Jan 15, 10, 5:40 pm

Programs: hh diamond, cp diamond priority club plat Alaska 75k Delta Gold
clarification hotels booked

I just called cs (i am a 5 star member, having booked 100 + nighs last year)

He stated that any hotel booked prior to march 9th qualify under the old plan.

so this plan is still good until march 9th, then basically looses all of its appeal.

imho
Old Jan 15, 10, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by wads View Post
I just called cs (i am a 5 star member, having booked 100 + nighs last year)

He stated that any hotel booked prior to march 9th qualify under the old plan.

so this plan is still good until march 9th, then basically looses all of its appeal.

imho
So does this mean that if we have accrued free nights that we are grandfathered in? So we don't have to rush to book our free night stays before March 9?
Old Jan 18, 10, 9:13 am

Unhappy

I still have not heard back from Hotels.com people on weather accumulated nights prior to the March 9th deadline will be honored at $400 rates. I'm really sad that this program is no longer.

Anyone have advise on what hotels program to try next? I WISH Priceline would give some sort of rewards. The new changes to Hotels.com now make this average at best.
Old Jan 18, 10, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by dtefnut View Post
I still have not heard back from Hotels.com people on weather accumulated nights prior to the March 9th deadline will be honored at $400 rates. I'm really sad that this program is no longer.

Anyone have advise on what hotels program to try next? I WISH Priceline would give some sort of rewards. The new changes to Hotels.com now make this average at best.
I have not heard back either...Worst case scenario, book something before March 9th for a future date if you want to salvage all $400
Old Jan 19, 10, 9:48 am

But can you book your free rooms for dates later than March 9th? Or do I have to use all my $400 credits before that date? I was building up for a trip to France in the Spring w/ wifey.

And I agree...the Hotels.com ad says how it's "So much smarter" now. There's absolutely nothing smarter about their new Rewards program. It was a decoy to get rid of the $400 limit. I think they'll point to the fact that now you can use booked nights under $40 towards your points...whatever.

Anyway, fun while it lasted. Anyone w/ advise on the next program to join? Will Priceline ever start awarding travelers?
Old Jan 20, 10, 1:15 am

going to blow mines. i'm going to denver in april i guess i will make a pit stop in Vegas... whats the best hotel to use it at?
Old Jan 20, 10, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it is smarter...for them. The old system was quite obviously unsustainable. It is a shame the new system is so miserly, though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 10, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by dakid23 View Post
going to blow mines. i'm going to denver in april i guess i will make a pit stop in Vegas... whats the best hotel to use it at?
Denver I would vote for the Oxford Hotel. Just spent a few nights there and it was perfect. Vegas - IMHO nothing beats Wynn. Haven't been to Four Seasons yet but Wynn was spectacular in every way.
Old Jan 20, 10, 2:40 pm

UPDATE::::

Just got off the phone w/ Hotels.com and customer service said that if we do not use (book) our rewards points BEFORE Mar. 9th then we lose all that credit. They seem to be starting fresh from Mar. 9th forward. They seemed very frustrated by this as people are calling very upset, w/ good reason.

So, if you have points w/ Hotels.com you may want to book those fancy hotels FAST.
Old Jan 20, 10, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dtefnut View Post
UPDATE::::

Just got off the phone w/ Hotels.com and customer service said that if we do not use (book) our rewards points BEFORE Mar. 9th then we lose all that credit. They seem to be starting fresh from Mar. 9th forward. They seemed very frustrated by this as people are calling very upset, w/ good reason.

So, if you have points w/ Hotels.com you may want to book those fancy hotels FAST.
Hmm it would seem wise for them to either grandfather people in or not wipe the slate clean but take that average of 10 nights you had originally booked to earn that one night credit...strange that they would force people to lose their credits.

In any case, I have already figured either way, im booking before March.
Old Jan 20, 10, 8:16 pm

Got an email response!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us in regards to the Welcome Rewards Program.

If you currently have a free night and you use (book) it before March 1, 2010, the maximum value will be $400. If you wait until after March 1, 2010 to use the free night, it will be based on the average of the 10 stays (credits) associated with that free night.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and for the delay in response.
Old Jan 21, 10, 8:41 am

That makes more sense. I wasn't confident the guy I spoke to knew exactly what he was talking about. And I had no idea about that March 1st deadline! I was gonna wait until the last day - thanks for that info!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: