Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

New Hotels.com Welcome Reward Rules

New Hotels.com Welcome Reward Rules

Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Originally Posted by mathlete
I just booked a $5 stay in Hanoi for tomorrow night. I will report back on the results.
Looks like it worked without a hitch. Expiration extended by 1 year.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mathlete
Looks like it worked without a hitch. Expiration extended by 1 year.
Thanks for letting us know I am about to do the same.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Do multiple reward nights work cumulatively?

I.e Hotel is €500 (€250p/n) for 2 nights.
First reward night value = €200
Second reward night value = €300.

Will my 2 nights cover the entire cost or are the reward nights based on a per night value?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by paulieccc
Do multiple reward nights work cumulatively?

I.e Hotel is €500 (€250p/n) for 2 nights.
First reward night value = €200
Second reward night value = €300.

Will my 2 nights cover the entire cost or are the reward nights based on a per night value?
Its a per night value. In your example you would lose out on €50 from your €300 reward.

Its a tricky business maximising the value of hotel.com rewards when there are large discrepancies in values.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone else having trouble with hotels.com right now? It looks like it's been kaput for the past couple of hours.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:41 pm

Question: To qualify as account activity do I have to book AND stay before the expiration date?

I have to stay a night somewhere in September that's fully reimbursible (so I don't want to redeem my free night on it) but my free night expires in August.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by greasypig
Question: To qualify as account activity do I have to book AND stay before the expiration date?

I have to stay a night somewhere in September that's fully reimbursible (so I don't want to redeem my free night on it) but my free night expires in August.
So I booked a stay at a Hanoi hostel last night (8/11-8/12) for 4 dollars and as of right now (about 20 hours after that stay should have ended) my booking has disappeared from my bookings, Past AND Present. I still got charged, obviously.

If i don't get the credit AND don't get my account renewed (causing me to lose my current nights), I am going to be very upset.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:16 pm

So I booked a stay at a Hanoi hostel last night (8/11-8/12) for 4 dollars and as of right now (about 20 hours after that stay should have ended) my booking has disappeared from my bookings, Past AND Present. I still got charged, obviously.

If i don't get the credit AND don't get my account renewed (causing me to lose my current nights), I am going to be very upset.
Double good news: Got the credit, AND earlier this week I made a mistake on booking another stay (forgot we lost a day in travel, and booked an extra nonrefundable day), and Hotels.com refunded me the extra day even though the hotel wouldn't.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I couldn't find a newer thread.

I have two hotels.com nights expiring next week.
I redeemed one of the nights for a room in a month, I assume that night is safe since I redeemed it.
However, my expiration date did not change since I havent actually stayed at the hotel yet. I'm looking for a way to extend my remaining night.

According to this thread, I can just book a cheap non-refundable <$5 hotel room and no-show but that brings down the average considerably.

What if I make a booking for 6mo from now, then cancel it after I've earned another stay? Will I get my free night back? I do have another trip planned in 6mo or so, but its far too early to plan anything for that so it is somewhat legitimate.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eng3
I couldn't find a newer thread.

I have two hotels.com nights expiring next week.
I redeemed one of the nights for a room in a month, I assume that night is safe since I redeemed it.
However, my expiration date did not change since I havent actually stayed at the hotel yet. I'm looking for a way to extend my remaining night.

According to this thread, I can just book a cheap non-refundable <$5 hotel room and no-show but that brings down the average considerably.

What if I make a booking for 6mo from now, then cancel it after I've earned another stay? Will I get my free night back? I do have another trip planned in 6mo or so, but its far too early to plan anything for that so it is somewhat legitimate.
I had several award nights that expired in an account a few weeks ago -- average value well over $400/night. I made a regular booking on hotels.com after discovering that, called up hotels.com about the expired reward nights and they reinstated the award nights -- it took less than 12 hours for them to reinstate the expired award nights and they even upgraded the account to some kind of elite status.

The booking made between the discovery of the expiration and calling up hotels.com was for a stay the following week. It seemed to have been enough to let them reinstate my nights and extend them for another year.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I emailed them complaining that I've redeemed a night and my expiration didnt change. (I had misunderstood the policy). They explained to me that I must also have a stay. Anyways, they said that on rare cases they can add or remove a night to extend the expiration. I'm not clear what exactly they did but that free night is good for another year now.

Perhaps seeing that I'll be redeeming AND collecting a night in a few weeks, that was enough to convince them I'm a customer worth keeping happy.

I use hotels.com quite often, but I use the 10% off coupon alot which means I dont get to collect a night. I figure 10% now is better than 10% later.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eng3
I emailed them complaining that I've redeemed a night and my expiration didnt change. (I had misunderstood the policy). They explained to me that I must also have a stay. Anyways, they said that on rare cases they can add or remove a night to extend the expiration. I'm not clear what exactly they did but that free night is good for another year now.

Perhaps seeing that I'll be redeeming AND collecting a night in a few weeks, that was enough to convince them I'm a customer worth keeping happy.

I use hotels.com quite often, but I use the 10% off coupon alot which means I dont get to collect a night. I figure 10% now is better than 10% later.
The customer service was better than I expected. I called in not expecting that they would be too eager to give me back a few thousand dollars worth of award nights that had just expired. But they did the same kind of thing for me that they did for you. I was pleasantly surprised and this was enough to convince me to keep using hotels.com more than I would otherwise have done so if my expired award nights weren't reinstated.

On the other hand, I have had points in airline program accounts expire due to lousy account merging habits and been told to go pound sand or pony up several hundred dollars to get the points reinstated, even as I've given some of those airlines a lot more of my money than I've given hotels.com.

Good customer service deserves a positive note, and hotels.com deserves it from me.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:00 pm

Double good news: Got the credit, AND earlier this week I made a mistake on booking another stay (forgot we lost a day in travel, and booked an extra nonrefundable day), and Hotels.com refunded me the extra day even though the hotel wouldn't.
Two years since I last did this, cheapest room I could find was 5.91 (inclusive of tax/fees) for a night in a Cambodia hostel, booked for later this week. Will update on whether it works again (my nights expire mid-July)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:16 am

Two years since I last did this, cheapest room I could find was 5.91 (inclusive of tax/fees) for a night in a Cambodia hostel, booked for later this week. Will update on whether it works again (my nights expire mid-July)
Cambodia hostel worked, nights valid until next July 2018. Unfortunately I'm still about to lose my Silver status, maybe I shoulda paid for another 6 days' worth of stays .
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Found the Green Hanoi Backpackers Hostel for $3. Not a bad way to keep my credits from expiring!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.