Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Any good reason to pay 30-50 Euros more for EasyJet vs. Ryanair?

Any good reason to pay 30-50 Euros more for EasyJet vs. Ryanair?

Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:11 am
Suspended

just try getting the fare ??? I just went online and it quotes 54 pounds
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by bizclassboy
just try getting the fare ??? I just went online and it quotes 54 pounds

Which fare are you referring to?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I think bizclassboy is talking about Stansted Airport to Cambridge.
But if you go to nationalrail.co.uk, you will see all the fares are 9 pounds.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I am looking at some Ryanair and EasyJet fares in September for Madrid-UK and return.

I have flown both Ryanair and EasyJet in the past, without complaint. But my experience with EasyJet is much more recent.

Is there any specific reason why it is worth 30-50 Euros more to fly with EasyJet versus Ryanair on these routes? I know everyone likes to criticize Ryanair, but I'm not sure how much quality differentiation there can be on a budget flight with no food/beverage service and little legroom. I know that Ryanair (rarely) cancels flights, but so too does EasyJet.
easyJet are much more transparent in their fares, however they still charge for luggage.

Ryanair fares may appear cheaper, but they charge more for luggage, credit card fees, check-in etc.

For me though, Ryanair are by far the more punctual airline. If both airlines fares and schedules were similar, I'd still go with easyJet. They are by far the nicer of the two.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:05 pm

Ryanair are only the more punctual of the two airlines under discussion because they build wider flying time margins into their scheduling. And with EZY at least you are spared those blaring trumpets ......................
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I use both Ryanair and easyJet between Stansted and Alicante and have found no "wider flying time margins" on Ryanair. Scheduled times for both airlines are exactly the same.

Are there any routes on which Ryanair's scheduled times are longer than easyJet's?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Are pax still allowed both a the cabin bag and a handbag/laptop_bag on EZ?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

EasyJet says this:

Save where the limits set locally are more restrictive, passengers are permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 55x40x20cm (including wheels and pockets) (Standard Hand Baggage). It must fit without force into the gauges provided at check-in or departure gates. No weight restriction applies within reasonable limits i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

In addition to the Standard Hand Baggage you may also carry:
(a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
(b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport.
Other than for the fact that Ryanair does not specifically allow (a) or (b), I think the rules are otherwise the same for Ryanair and EasyJet. Ryanair does not mention coats, shawls, or umbrellas on their page, but you could easily just wear these items or stick the umbrella in your hand luggage.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I took Ryanair for MAD-STN and STN-MAD and had no problems either way. There is no bright, clear sign leading non-EU people to the right place to get their documents checked, so this is a bit of a nuisance to figure out. Also, I made the luggage requirements for checked and hand luggage, but I underestimated how much having a laptop and peripherals and overdoing the hardcover books this time would make that more difficult.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:45 am

Glad all went well. I fly both EasyJet and Ryanair and usually choose on price and flight times, not carrier.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:10 am

i'll simply advice you easyJet, more sure, lower risk I think
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
If both offer the same route MAD-LGW and the price difference is what you state, pick Ryanair any day!!! They will both charge you to check in a bag, they will both charge you for everything up in the air. So, the difference comes to checkin in, as Easyjet will let you get to the airport without a boarding pass, and print you one for free and Ryanair will not. I am at the moment an avid user of Ryanair on MAD-STN, as in August I did MAD-LGW with Easyjet and August, September, october, november and december, I flew and will be flying Ryanair on MAD-STN and MAD-LGW as they price it cheaper. For me, any extra saving goes to the hotel in London, as I can book a really nice hotel with Hilton Visa Signature promo (75 pounds including buffet breakfast) and enjoy two or three days at the City. Some other times, I just conect to other Ryanair destinations to visit friends.

Pick the cheaper and enjoy the savings in UK. Seat prices in an airline on short and medium haul, work as a commodity being sold. You just buy the cheaper one, as their is almost no difference, because all of the airlines will take you where you want to go on time and safely.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by roman.observer
i'll simply advice you easyJet, more sure, lower risk I think
Lower risk in what way?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
I'd agree that easyJet has better CS. The other points about Ryanair (not Ryan Air) are patently rubbish.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, a major advantage of Easyjet is the absence of weight limit of hand luggage (versus 10Kg on FR). If booking a return, the possibility of getting an on an earlier return flight at no extra charge is also an advantage of Easyjet. I also concur with Roger on the CS issue in cases of irrops or missed flight. I also profoundly dislike FR ethical standards (or lack thereof) and always feel morally "dirty" flying FR but this is clearly something which is personal to me and would not regard that as an argument that I would expect others to take into account so I take this out of the equation here.
For Cambridge, however, STN is so much more convenient as to tip the balance in the other direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.