Best Airline To Fly From Paris-Rome.

Old May 4, 09, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Best Airline To Fly From Paris-Rome.

Hi all,

Just wondering what will be the best airline to fly from Paris Orly or Charle de Gaulle to Rome Fiumicino or Ciampino. Another airline besides EasyJet.

Thanks Emiratespilot.
Old May 4, 09, 1:49 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Ops, dupe! sorry
Old May 4, 09, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by emiratespilot View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering what will be the best airline to fly from Paris Orly or Charle de Gaulle to Rome Fiumicino or Ciampino. Another airline besides EasyJet.

Thanks Emiratespilot.
I'm afraid there are not many competitors for direct flights:
AF
EZY
VY
AZ

I prefer AF, but if you want to avoid AF for any reason and want an alternative to Easyjet too, well... there's only VY. Avoid AZ equipment/crew
Old May 5, 09, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Alice11,

Thanks for the reply. I was on Air France's website, but please tell me if they have a problem with their online booking system (Prices). Because when I attempted to book a flight from CDG-FCO it came up and said that the price for 4 adults was $2,600 Australian(AUD), (One-way).

Could you please confirm if that would be the right price for that sector?

Cheers,

Emiratespilot.
Old May 5, 09, 2:24 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
AF is exorbitant in their pricing intra-EU, especially one-ways. Alitalia codeshares on all of the AF flights, but the pricing is the exact same. Of course, AF/AZ only fly from CDG to FCO, not from ORY. You can book a return ticket and just not use the return portion. That brings the fare down substantially to about AUD$405 per person. The smarter option is to fly easyJet or Vueling. Vueling fares start at 50 euros one-way, plus your baggage (10 euros per bag, with 20kg as the limit). You can reserve normal seats in advance for free, or pay 13 euros per seat for the XL seat (bulkhead, exit row). Or if you are travelling in pairs, you can do the DuoSeat which allows you to have the aisle and window with the middle blocked for 30 euros. Either way you look at it, the price can't be beat. easyJet doesn't do that, but the fares are good. Prices start at 36.99 euros one way, plus your baggage fees. easyJet flies from Orly to Ciampino. Ciampino is a horrible dump of a place and not very convenient. Vueling flies from CDG to FCO. While Fiumicino is not exactly the Shangrila of airports, at least the DaVinci Express train runs reliably and nonstop every 30 minutes directly from the airport to Termini Station, so transportation is less of a problem. Ciampino requires riding a bus first to the train station, then taking the subway. If you want private car service, from Ciampino or Fiumicino to the city centre, it can be had for about 50 euros total each direction for 4 people.
Old May 5, 09, 2:42 am

Alice11,

Thanks for the reply. I was on Air France's website, but please tell me if they have a problem with their online booking system (Prices). Because when I attempted to book a flight from CDG-FCO it came up and said that the price for 4 adults was $2,600 Australian(AUD), (One-way).

Could you please confirm if that would be the right price for that sector?

Cheers,

Emiratespilot.
I'm afraid that fare is the outcome of their pricing system, often pushing on round-trip tickets, so that one-way tickets can turn very expensive, up to 4 or 5*round-trip fare. I got that sort of fares several times on this route.
For instance, I've just made a booking test, FCO-CDG May 18 one-way 985 euros, whereas a 2-day round-trip 186 ...
So, likely the fare you got it's not technically speaking an error, but of course is very very expensive.

Perhaps the flyers in the Flying Blue forum can provide some work-around.

I know that a lot of people is used to book a round-trip and then they do not fly the second segment.
Usually, I just get bored and book a flight operated by a competitor!
Old May 5, 09, 3:01 am
Original Poster

TravellinHusker,

Thanks for the reply. Comming from Australia sounds like Vueling would be the way to for me. I would just like to ask what their product is like, and also what is the go with booking window seats. I would like about two. Could you please explain the seating config on their aircraft?

Kind Regards,

Emiratespilot.
Old May 15, 09, 2:55 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Hi all,
there are also twice-weekly flights on both Saudi Airlines (SV) and Kuwait Airways (KU) although SV's cannot be booked online. KU works out around EUR 200 roundtrip...but for sure you can find cheaper on AF/AZ
Old May 26, 09, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
I had to purchase a one-way FCO to CDG and ended up going with Alitalia. I had to purchase a round-trip and will just not fly the 2nd flight. But the round-trip was still the cheapest option for an airline that you can earn frequent flier miles. (non-discount-carrier)
Old May 27, 09, 2:24 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
For the best, I'd recommend taking SQ in First class. Of course you do have to make a 12000 mile detour via SIN, but hey - the Singapore girls are the best!

Seriously speaking, for a non-stop I'd go with Vueling or Ezy, unless you have lots of luggage to check in in which case a roundtrip ticket with the return thrown away on AF/AZ could work out cheaper (remember, you still get the free 20 kilos *per* person luggage allowance on these carriers). As for FCO vs. CIA - it doesn't really matter that much. You won't spend too long time at the airport and CIA is definitely way closer to the city, even though as mentioned the express train to FCO is quite handy, although a bit unfrequent. Choose with your wallet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: