Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet - what is current hand-carry luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easyjet - what is current hand-carry luggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:47 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I assume EasyJet will just charge you for anything over 20 lbs or is it kg? My bag normally is full of crap and weighs in at 26kg.

Also what is their seating policy. First come first served or can you book your seat for a few extra Euros?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I assume EasyJet will just charge you for anything over 20 lbs or is it kg? My bag normally is full of crap and weighs in at 26kg.
It's kilos. And yes, they will. I recommend you cut down on the crap or move six kilos of it into your hand luggage.

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Also what is their seating policy. First come first served or can you book your seat for a few extra Euros?
First come first served. For more than a few Euros (the exact price depends on the station, but ex-HEL it is 11 EUR) you can buy something they call "Speedy Boarding" which gives you a dedicated check in desk (at selected stations only, like the main London hubs) and allows you to board first, thus having your pick of seats.

That's a bit of a waste actually - just ensure you are in boarding group A by checking in online at T-60 days and you'll normally end up snatching a decent exit row of bulk head seat. Of course OLCI is not supported for all stations - in those cases the extra cost might be justifiable if you care a lot about where you sit.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BHDBOY
It is unlikely that they will ask you to use the frame, I have never been asked in 5 years or so of flying within Europe with a rollaboard that has in reality been a centimetre or two too big for some of the carriers (EZY included) regulations. Although I have been asked at the gate to put airport shopping purchases in my carryon and lady travelling companions have been asked put purses etc into their main piece of hand luggage before boarding.
Can anyone confirm BHDBOY's experience?

I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about this because I'm flying a family of 5 roundtrip on Easyjet within Europe this month. We've gotten all of our "normal" sized rollerboards (which is pretty much the only luggage we own) out of the closet and each and every one of them is a centimeter or two over the limit on one side or another -- the limit being 55 x 40 x 20 cm. Since all the luggage is made in China, I assume folks in Europe have the same problem.

Easyjet charges 21 Euros for each piece of checked luggage, plus an undisclosed (and, I'd guess) substantial additional fee for checking bags at the airport. So if they wanted to be nuts about this, my family could easily face a US$200 charge EACH WAY for exceeding their limits by a centimeter or so.

Can anyone else assure me that this is very unlikely to happen? Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Can anyone confirm BHDBOY's experience?

I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about this because I'm flying a family of 5 roundtrip on Easyjet within Europe this month. We've gotten all of our "normal" sized rollerboards (which is pretty much the only luggage we own) out of the closet and each and every one of them is a centimeter or two over the limit on one side or another -- the limit being 55 x 40 x 20 cm. Since all the luggage is made in China, I assume folks in Europe have the same problem.

Easyjet charges 21 Euros for each piece of checked luggage, plus an undisclosed (and, I'd guess) substantial additional fee for checking bags at the airport. So if they wanted to be nuts about this, my family could easily face a US$200 charge EACH WAY for exceeding their limits by a centimeter or so.

Can anyone else assure me that this is very unlikely to happen? Thanks.
- Hi can anyone help me?
I'm flying easyjet next month, I'm going abroad for 3 months so luggage will be tight and I'll be checking in a 20kg bag, but I obviously want to maximise my hand luggage space.
So how tight are they on this 55x45x25 or whatever it is? I already have a small suitcase that I've measured as just over 55cm tall, like 56 or something inc. handles and wheels. The width and depth dimensions are well under.
Any advice from people who've travelled easyjet before would be welcome!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rachxwales
- Hi can anyone help me?
I'm flying easyjet next month, I'm going abroad for 3 months so luggage will be tight and I'll be checking in a 20kg bag, but I obviously want to maximise my hand luggage space.
So how tight are they on this 55x45x25 or whatever it is? I already have a small suitcase that I've measured as just over 55cm tall, like 56 or something inc. handles and wheels. The width and depth dimensions are well under.
Any advice from people who've travelled easyjet before would be welcome!
You are lucky -- since my trip, Easyjet has loosened its carry-on rules to comply with IATA guidelines -- meaning that most carry-on bags (including most rollerboards) now fit!

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

Hopefully, they have also replaced their old, smaller sizers.

Personally, I would not bring a carry-on larger than this. On one of my flights, luggage was checked in the sizers (we got lucky -- they didn't check ours!) And, frankly, there's no reason to bring an oversized bag, now that the standards are reasonable. Your "regular" carry-on should fit (although I would measure).

My misfortune is to be booked on my next trip one way on Easyjet, and the other on Ryanair. Ryanair is still clinging to the ridiculous old measurements, meaning almost all regular IATA-sized carry-ons don't fit! Ryanair also weighs carry-ons, and Easyjet does not. I've been rummaging in my closet for a squishable, light-weight duffel bag. Hopefully, the competition will force them to adopt the more reasonable standard but, given that it's Ryanair, I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Ryanair also weighs carry-ons, and Easyjet does not.
Ryanair has never weighted my carry on during the last four years or so. Maybe it is because I never check any hold luggage and of course check in online which means that my first interaction with any ground staff is when boarding at the gate and they usually don't have scales there!

Granted, my usual back bag isn't that large in the first place so it probably doesn't raise any suspicions.

What I find very annoying is Ezy's insistence on the single carry on policy, but in recent times they seem to have relaxed that a bit, a while ago at LGW they even announced right before boarding that "The single carry on rule does not concern any shopping bags you might have from the airport shops". Last year at GVA they made me stuff my duty free bag in my bag back for boarding, of course I took it right out when settling down inside the plane - so pointless!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:13 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
A few random thoughts about easyJet. They do seem to be checking more often now that your case is not too large and if it is they will take the “appropriate fee” and put it in the hold. Even so, when the flight is full the last few passengers have had to put their bags in the hold as we ll because the overhead lockers were full (although they weren’t charged. So if you are in a hurry don’t board last!

As easyJet plus cardholders we board first and recently have always got row 1. However, on some flights (especially on Monday mornings from SXF) there have been more than 20 people in the Speedy boarding group so some would not have got a front row or emergency exit seat. Occasionally you are taken by bus to the plane which can be a problem but quite often the speedy boarders are put at the front of the bus and the driver opens the front door first, giving you a reasonable chance of getting on board first.

Boarding can still be a bit of scrum and you need to be near the gate when they call for Speedy boarders as the rest of pack won’t be far behind you.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuff
Boarding can still be a bit of scrum and you need to be near the gate when they call for Speedy boarders as the rest of pack won’t be far behind you.
What shocked me at MAD while flying Easyjet was that there was absolutely no furniture in the boarding area. Imagine a gate area stripped down to bare walls! They did have a podium, and dragged out a sizer from the jetway.

But with their now larger carry-on luggage rules, I would not hesitate to fly them again if it were considerably cheaper or more time-efficient for me.

I assume Ryanair also strictly enforces a "one carry-on item" rule. So stick your book or laptop in your bag?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I assume Ryanair also strictly enforces a "one carry-on item" rule. So stick your book or laptop in your bag?
Ryanair enforces this consistently. Generally a few minutes before boarding they'll announce only one carry-on bag and that any shopping bags or purses have to be in that carry-on bag as well which is a bit ridiculous.

I've found Easyjet much more lenient in regards to hand baggage whereas Ryanair is out to get anyone who's bag might be too big. However, I've found it does vary from airport to airport in regards to Ryanair going up and down the line before boarding to find oversized bags people are trying to bring on.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:50 pm

Luton Airport to/from Central London

Included within the ticket fare per passenger:
Hand Baggage: One Standard-sized bag
Maximum Dimensions (H+W+L): 90cm (35 Inches)
Maximum Weight 5 Kgs
One laptop computer
Checked in Baggage: One Standard-sized bag
Maximum Dimensions (H+W+L):158cm (62 Inches)
Maximum Weight 23 Kgs
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by masil
Luton Airport to/from Central London

Included within the ticket fare per passenger:
Hand Baggage: One Standard-sized bag
Maximum Dimensions (H+W+L): 90cm (35 Inches)
Maximum Weight 5 Kgs
One laptop computer
Checked in Baggage: One Standard-sized bag
Maximum Dimensions (H+W+L):158cm (62 Inches)
Maximum Weight 23 Kgs
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:30 pm

1 bag for 3 passengers in 1 booking!

I just purchased a ticket from Athens to Milan for 3 passengers and I see that I am only allowed to carry 1 bag for all three of us. Is this normal for Easyjet if you have multiple passengers in one booking? I didn't realize the allowance is now 1 bag per booking and not 1 bag per passenger. I flew with them to Paris in May and I didn't have this issue.

Anyone out there experience this recently?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by hanabay
I just purchased a ticket from Athens to Milan for 3 passengers and I see that I am only allowed to carry 1 bag for all three of us. Is this normal for Easyjet if you have multiple passengers in one booking? I didn't realize the allowance is now 1 bag per booking and not 1 bag per passenger. I flew with them to Paris in May and I didn't have this issue.

Anyone out there experience this recently?
While I'm not an easyjet regular, there is clearly some confusion in your post.

All passengers are allowed 1 cabin bag (+ plastic carrier bag for duty free) - that is the only allowance they have.

No passengers have any checked in baggage allowance at all unless paid for.
If paid for, this needs to be paid per passenger.
Each piece will attract a fee, extra piece fees will not up total pax allowance of 20kg.
Total combined weight above 20kg will attract an additional fee per kg above.
Total combined weight must not exceed 50kg.
No individual piece may exceed 32kg.

As a result, for considering 3 passengers:
If you buy 3 bags assigned to 1 pax all bags combined need to be below 20kg. If you buy 3 bags, but 1 for each pax, you totall alloance as a group is now 60kg, but each one must be less than 20kg.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Hi all, just wanting to confirm my hand-luggage. I bought a nice rolling carry-on bag recently, and have checked other airlines and the dimensions are fine. Only with EasyJet is mine out a wee bit. My bag measures: 35 x 45 x 23cm. Slightly bigger than their stated allowance, of 55 x 40 x 20cm.

Will I be fine taking this? I'm thinking of adding a quick overnighter to my European vacation, and will leave my main checked-luggage with some friends while I nip over to England for a night, hence only taking the carry-on.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catweazle
Hi all, just wanting to confirm my hand-luggage. I bought a nice rolling carry-on bag recently, and have checked other airlines and the dimensions are fine. Only with EasyJet is mine out a wee bit. My bag measures: 35 x 45 x 23cm. Slightly bigger than their stated allowance, of 55 x 40 x 20cm.

Will I be fine taking this? I'm thinking of adding a quick overnighter to my European vacation, and will leave my main checked-luggage with some friends while I nip over to England for a night, hence only taking the carry-on.
The problem is that, if they made you put your bag in the sizer, it won't fit. Not sure the latest "percentage" use of the sizers, but obviously you would run at least some risk of being hit up for a bag fee. The odds should be in your favor, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.