Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to abolish checkin desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:27 pm
vla
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold

Originally Posted by BBC News
Ryanair has confirmed it plans to close all of its airport check-in desks by the end of the year in a bid to reduce the cost of its flights.

From the start of 2010, all Ryanair passengers will need to check in online in order to confirm their flights.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7903656.stm

No word yet on if they're subcontracting BAA to provide a latent human presence for continuity in their customer harassment, revenue extraction and policing departments, however.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:29 pm

the next stage is to get rid of all their aircraft
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Fine if you are at home/office with internet/printing equipment before starting on your journey. What about if you are staying at a cheap B&B in Europe without internet facilities?

Some US hotels do offer airline internet check-in free or for a fee however, it was not widespread in the Europe where Ryanair is based.

They should offer SSCI - for a fee of course.
Still surprised they have not added in seat selection for an additional fee.

Do you just forfeit the flight if you turn up at the airport without internet check-in?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: *A
What about pax who aren't EU citizens, and hence can't do OLCI?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: M&M, AA GLD, FB
Doesn't Ryanair have a policy that you can check-in 14 days in advance? I still wonder, why won't they simply abolish check-in at all....
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Do you just forfeit the flight if you turn up at the airport without internet check-in?
FR adopting that attitude would be about as customer unfriendly as they can be and would simply lead to anger and a complete lack of satisfaction on the part of pax.

So you've worked out what FR's approach will be then.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I'm pretty sure SSCI is coming too, just the BBC missed that part of it.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:33 pm

Maybe that's the ultimate goal . Allow people to buy tickets but not be able to get on a flight ....they could do online scratchcards so they don't lose that revenue.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:16 pm

wonder how people with bags to check will do that.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by terpfan101
wonder how people with bags to check will do that.
Hi,

I think the BBC report said that Bag drop desks are being kept.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:55 pm

I read it as just hype. T5 does not have checkin for economy passengers either, it's OLCi or CIK and then fast bag drop. Of course unlike Ryanair BA has hosts at the kiosks and assistance desks for those who really cannot manage to use the customer enabled options. Either way, it's just O'leary trying to get his dreary airline in the press again.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Either way (if they go OLCI/SSCI or OLCI only) - it's not like they are different than it is now. No connecting flights, no upgrades - no nothing. So the check-in desks effectively are bag-drops anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
So where else can Ryanair cut costs? Get rid of pilots and stay on autopilot all the time? Clearly the stewardess is still needed to sell the lottery tickets. And for the planned transatlantic flights to perform bjs in 1st class.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
I tried to book a flight through Ryanair (and had the website fail, and have it go through to my credit card 14 hours later after I had given up on the website and bought Eurostar tickets ), and as a US citizens my wife and would have to pay £5 or so extra each to check in at the airport, as only EU citizens could do so. I'm surprised that revenue stream was negative, at £5 a head.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:01 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Not hugely different from what they presently do, to be honest, but a bit of headline grabbing nonetheless.

If 75% already check in online, a decent proportion of that remaining probably 25% probably will now do so if they need to, and Ryanair probably guess that whatever % remains (ie: customers that they might lose) aren't worth keeping the desks open. And they're probably right.

Presumably self-printed BPs can be used at all of their outstations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.