Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Europa mini trip report BCN-PMI-BCN

Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond

My SO and I decided to go to BCN for a weekend to get away from the chaos of Italy. I know I know, trading in one chaos (Italy) for another (Spain). As neither of us had ever been to BCN, it was just going to be a new experience all around. He absolutely loves warmer weather and I am more of a cold weather person. Upon seeing the weather report for our given weekend, it was supposed to be a high temperature of 13 degrees centigrade. Not exactly warm weather for May. I looked and saw that the Balearics were going to be much much warmer with temperatures in the mid 20's. So, I made a last minute check of flights and fares and booked a day trip from BCN to PMI. As a FlyingBlue Platinum, I chose Air Europa (UX) and booked us into paid Business Class.
I had checked us in online using the Air Europa website. I have to say, it gets a MAJOR thumbs down from me. If you've already reserved a seat through your TA or the airline, the online check-in system does not recognise this and just assigns you whatever it wants. There is no way to choose a seat. It just assigns you whatever it wants. As we were in different reservations, it gave us seats on opposite sides of the airplane and not even in the same row! I called UX in NYC and they said that nothing could be done and would have to take care of it at the airport.
At BCN, the lady at the check-in desk for Business Class was less than friendly, but at least efficient. She was able to get our seats changed to sit next to each other, 1A and 1C. She also gave us the invitation to a business class lounge. We went through security and straight to the lounge. The lounge is horrible. There is nothing in there. Just a big cavernous space with a few tvs and 2 computers. There is an espresso machine and some soft drinks. No food, except a few cookies/pieces of cake.
The monitors said that the flight was leaving on-time at 1210pm, so at about 1145am, we started to walk over to the gate. We arrived about 1155am to find that the plane wasn't even there yet. But the monitors said the departure time was still 1210pm. I went to the gate counter to enquire what the new departure time was and was told that the plane was due to land in the next 5 minutes or so and it would take about 30 minutes to get it prepared and ready for us. I said, "So, it won't be leaving at 1210pm correct?" and pointed to the monitor above the gate. He said, "Correct. Perhaps about 1245pm or so. We will begin boarding by 1220 or 1230pm maybe." I responded, "Don't you think you should change the monitors? We were in the lounge. It still showed on-time. Certainly you knew it was late at 1145am when we left the lounge." He gave me this rather indifferent look and said, "Then go back to the lounge." Now, it was about a 10 minute walk to the gate from the lounge. Twenty minutes roundtrip. What in idiot! There were three of them sitting there just talking and having a great time, but caring nothing for the passengers.
A plane did finally arrive and ultimately we took off about 1250pm. It is just a short flight over to Palma de Mallorca. Perhaps, 25 minutes in total. The aircraft was a 737-800. Business Class was 3 rows deep with a setup similar to Air France. The middle seat has a tray table over it and the window/aisle seats are a tad wider. The flight attendants were very proudly showing off their brand-new uniforms that they'd rolled out just the day before. They look pretty snazzy, even if a bit odd. That whole blue piece that covers the back, but is attached to buttons at the sides and shoulders is just a bit odd. But, whatever. They seemed very happy to have new uniforms. We were offered pre-departure orange juice or water. Just after take off, the FA came around and asked us what we wanted to drink. It was promptly served with a small tray of packaged crackers and a mint. The plane went up, then back down.
Since we were just staying for the day, I thought it would be best to head over to the check-in counter and see if they would print our return BPs. This would save us some time in case we were running late getting back to the airport. The man was very nice and helpful. He easily printed our BPs and arranged for seats 1A and 1C again.
We had a nice day in Mallorca and then headed back to the airport for the 9pm departure. We had already received the invitation to the lounge when we got the BPs earlier. So, we headed straight through security to the lounge. It isn't so easy to find, but we did find it eventually. It is nicer and much larger than BCN. Very clean, lots of drinks to choose from and two refrigerators stocked with packaged sandwhiches, cakes, and other niblets. We headed up to the gate about 30 minutes before departure. We boarded promptly and settled in for another 20 minute flight to BCN. Same crackers and mint with a drink were served.
The staff was friendly enough on the planes, but the ground staff in both PMI and BCN left alot to be desired. UX is not a bad airline, but if there were delays or baggage problems, I can see how it could be a nightmare for most people.
My FB miles and segments posted within 48 hours.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: UA, IB, FB
I dont think it helps to call someone an idiot, maybe the rude person was you and not him. How do you know he has control over the gate monitors? Where I work I dont control the screens, but nobody called me an idiot yet for not being able to change the information on them, thanks God. I know he could have made delayed announcements but at the end of the day it was not such a long delay.

And then you also say that the guy in PMI was nice and helpful but then you say that the ground staff in both BCN and PMI was unfriendly. This is then complaining for the sake of complaining, I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.