Olympic Business Class LHR - ATH

Old Apr 17, 08, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1K
Olympic Business Class LHR - ATH

Mr. Wine1K and I are flying business class on OA from LHR to ATH in May. We then have about a five hour layover in ATH while waiting for late night flight to HER.

Any advice on what to do and what the business lounge is like? Can we make it into Athens for dinner and back?

Would also appreciate any feedback on service on recent flights LHR - ATH.

I've searched the forum and have not seen anyting on point to my questions.

Cheers. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 08, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have to fly from LHR?? Aegean are starting STN-ATH on 15/05, are a lot more pleasant and reliable, and you can get M&M miles for their flights.

I have never flown OA on the LHR route, but my understanding is that they usually fly widebodies on the route, so the seating in business is good. Food is the only strong point of OA, so you should also be fine in that department.
On the other hand, you can forget any pleasantries in terms of service- don't be surprised if the FAs don't use unnecessary expressions such as "thank you", "please" and the like...Their planes are not famous for their cleanliness, and punctuality is also very relative...And that's assuming your plane will turn up (though I think the LON route is a bit better than other ones e.g. to JFK).
I have heard good things about the ATH lounge, but I've not been there.
From LHR, they fly out of T2 and use AZ employees for their check-in, so I expect that they will use the AZ lounge which is basic but does have nice coffee and outside views. The above assumes that AZ will still be in business by the time you fly! OA should have shut down decades ago, but that's a story for a different day.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would fly with what arguably is the crappiest "full service" (Jesus wept!) airline in Europe if they have an alternative choice. On the LON-HER route, you have two excellent alternatives; A3 from STN or OK via PRG, use them for your peace of mind (and miles).
Old Apr 20, 08, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
Their planes are not famous for their cleanliness, and punctuality is also very relative...
POINT OF ORDER !

In terms of punctuality and flight regularity (i.e. frequency of cancelling flights) BRITISH AIRWAYS gave a significantly worse performance than Olympic in 2007, measured on both long-haul and short-haul departures.

The only European airline to perform worse than BA was TAP Air Portugal ...
Old Apr 20, 08, 8:58 am

How about we stick to the OP's question?
Old Apr 20, 08, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
POINT OF ORDER !

In terms of punctuality and flight regularity (i.e. frequency of cancelling flights) BRITISH AIRWAYS gave a significantly worse performance than Olympic in 2007, measured on both long-haul and short-haul departures.

The only European airline to perform worse than BA was TAP Air Portugal ...
I never recommended the OP to fly with British Airways, or TP for that matter.
BA are no more reliable than OA, and you get the added bonus of them often losing your bags.
Old Apr 21, 08, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
How about we stick to the OP's question?
OK ! Olympic business-class is fine, especially on its longer intra-Europe sectors, and especially if you get a wide-body. The real problem with service is inconsistency - it could be brilliant, it could be very ordinary. Lounge in Athens is the excellent Icarus, in LHR it's Alitalia, shared with a few airlines....

As I noted in the post above, OA has a problem with punctuality, but it is certainly not the worst among European carriers. Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 21, 08, 12:13 pm

OA business class is not superb. At the lounge in Athens, the "aristotelis onassis" one, you will find something to eat, but it will not exceed pre packed sandwiches or pieces of cakes (don't prepare yourself to an emirates-like lounge). Business class on ATH-LHR is only interesting if you fly with the A343 because the seats are wide (if you are on a 734 you will be very disappointed). But be careful: don't expect to find a singapore airlines or emirates like service. Tableware is plastic, and the food, even though the portions are good, is very mediocre considering J standarts. If you want a real business class, take BA. Or save your money and go with OA's Y. You can go to airlinequality.com to see comments about the lounge.
Old Apr 21, 08, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jul89 View Post
If you want a real business class, take BA.
This suggestion borders on the ridiculous. In addition to the above noted reliability problems, BA don't even fly to HER! Not to mention the fact that they don't offer a "real" business class within Europe.

Originally Posted by Ultimate BA guide sticky in BAEC forum View Post
The window pairs on the 767 in CE are especially poor. They do expand – but only by around 0.5 inch.
Old Apr 28, 08, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1K
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I should have noted that we had an outstanding credit on OA which we are using up on this trip. Going back via FRA and on to OPO on LH but then LIS to LHR on TAP - so I guess we'll get to see all but the BA service for comparison. Will report back after the trip. Thank you.
Old Apr 30, 08, 6:22 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
OK ! Olympic business-class is fine, especially on its longer intra-Europe sectors, and especially if you get a wide-body. The real problem with service is inconsistency - it could be brilliant, it could be very ordinary. Lounge in Athens is the excellent Icarus, in LHR it's Alitalia, shared with a few airlines....

As I noted in the post above, OA has a problem with punctuality, but it is certainly not the worst among European carriers. Enjoy your trip
This is the most factual and dispassionate description of the product I've ever read on FT .
Old May 4, 08, 2:44 am

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by jul89 View Post
OA business class is not superb.

My only ever OA business class experience has resolved me never to fly the carrier again.

My LHR ATH A340 was replaced by an Air Finland 757, in a free seating all charter layout cabin with 28'' seat pitch. I'm still waiting for a refund.

My ATH LHR A340 was replaced by a blue panorama 767, loaded with an A300 seat map. Chaos reigned, as seat assignments didnt exist onboard.