Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Secret award increase on Brussels Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret award increase on Brussels Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Angry Secret award increase on Brussels Airlines

ATTENTION: Brussels Airlines has increased all intercontinental awards on partner airlines by 5,000 miles. No information about this was published - no announcement made. I don't know what they were fuming!!!! I have never heard of anything similar.

This applies to all awards on partner airlines other than BA; on BA (where awards are more expensive anyway) it applies to awards to Australía only.
Old May 9, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
and you earn less on business class flights now, right?

Just 1,250 instead of 2,000 miles intra-Europe.

SmilingBoy.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
and you earn less on business class flights now, right?

Just 1,250 instead of 2,000 miles intra-Europe.

SmilingBoy.

Business class flights is still minimum 2,000 miles (1,5 * actual miles flown) economy 1 * actual miles flown.

Only Business class and economy class intra Europe is only offered on flights to Moscow and Helsinki.

On all other flights you have 2 kind of economy class, B-light (250 miles - no frills) and B-flex (1.250 miles - and full service) B-flex is comparable to former C-class but at substantially lower price.

Also intra Europe awards are cheaper now, 7,500 miles for one-way B-light flight, 10,000 miles for one way- B-flex flight.

Non Intra-Europe awards on partner airlines went up 5,000 miles, but if you have the premium brussels airlines american express card 10,000 miles less are needed (So compared to the old award 5,000 less)
Old May 10, 2007, 9:49 am

Well, even if it is called b.flex now, it is essentially like old business class (at least that's what a colleague said). So whenever I fly somewhere for work in Europe (except Helsinki or Moscow), I now only get 1,250 miles instead of 2,000. The flight being cheaper is nice, but given that I don't pay for the flights, does not help me.

And I don't need intra-Europe awards. When they are available, cheap fares are available, too, usually - right? And as taxes&fees&surcharges need to be paid for an award as well, this makes it quite unattractive for intra-Europe flights.

SmilingBoy.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I agree with all you say. But all this 1,250 vs. 2,000 etc. has at least been clear right from the beginning. But that they just change these partner award levels over night without telling anybody about it is really hard to swallow. I've already cancelled one booking I had with them because I don't like doing business with unreliable companies. And that's what they are in my eyes, correct?
Old May 11, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
This is beginning to be a real joke and a disgrace for the airline industry. Brussels Airlines has no business class. Except on Helsinki, Moscow and.... B.Flex is business except you will have to pay for lounge access if you are not Gold/Platinum. You need more miles for transcontinental but there is no information on the web site. You need less miles if you mention the Amex but again there is no information. Oh and I just discovered that they stop their partnership with CitiBank - no more miles for MAster Card !
Old May 11, 2007, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I wonder how long such airlines with such practices will remain in business. All I know is that I avoid doing business with such companies - not only airlines! The only alternative would probably be taking them to court...
Old May 12, 2007, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by GlobalFrance
I wonder how long such airlines with such practices will remain in business. All I know is that I avoid doing business with such companies - not only airlines! The only alternative would probably be taking them to court...
Not too long...You are not the only one avoiding doing business with them. Lots of business travellers have now switched to other airlines offering a real business product and some value for your miles.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: QR platinum
There seems to be some change again, the increase apparantly is off... The website shows the old award fares again...
Old May 15, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: SNBA Privilege Blue, FB Ivory, M&M basic
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
Not too long...You are not the only one avoiding doing business with them. Lots of business travellers have now switched to other airlines offering a real business product and some value for your miles.
I agree that Privilege cannot without prior notice change the requirement for award flights, however when it comes to the new b flex: I kind of like it. You get all the benefits of intra European business class (except that the food is inferior and no lounge acces as was rightly pointed out by SmilingBoy) but at a price which is much lower. That's good for price conscious companies/organisations.

In b flex, where possible also the middle seat is blocked, and on top of it, in the Avrojets there is only a middle e seat and no b seat.

Last edited by royalwing; May 16, 2007 at 10:06 am
Old May 15, 2007, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by royalwing
You get all the benefits of intra European business class
No lounge access...

SmilingBoy.
Old May 16, 2007, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
No lounge access...

SmilingBoy.
Most European airlines block the middle seat in business class and it gives you enough room to work and not to have to fight for armrest whenreading, Brussels Airlines offer that option only on the Helksinki and Tel Aviv flights. So please let's stop pretending b. flex is like business class !

The food is indeed inferior and the price is not lower than what can be found on other airlines business class - depending on point of origin and point of destination and depending whether Brussels Airlines operates the flight or not.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beepee
There seems to be some change again, the increase apparantly is off... The website shows the old award fares again...
This looks hence like one of the rare examples where public pressure changed something??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.