Wiki Posts
Search

BRU to DBV via ZAG on Crotia?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
BRU to DBV via ZAG on Croatia?

My husband and I are in the planning stages of our next trip (well, we just got back from our most recent one yesterday!). We'd like to go to Dubrovnik and, having had a reasonable trip in and out of Brussels, are thinking about taking Croatia Airlines from Brussels. (Have I mentioned in any recent posts that we avoid LHR like the plague?)

Has anyone done this? I'm a little concerned because they have fairly short connection times (like 45 minutes) and the flights don't run evey day. I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's made this trip.

Last edited by Athena53; Apr 28, 2007 at 12:13 pm
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:50 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
I haven't done that connection, but I have flown in and out of ZAG more than once and can give some general comments about the airport.

On the whole ZAG is a very small airport, you can walk from one end of the terminal building to the other end in less than a minute and everything is on one floor. There are no passenger bridges either, you are taken to and from the aircraft by bus.

I think 45 mins should be fine at ZAG, assuming it's a valid connection and your incoming flight isn't delayed.
Baggage delivery was very quick on my last visit, customs won't be a problem unless you have anything to declare, and the walk from the arrivals hall to check-in takes 30 seconds (I assume you have to reclaim and re-check any checked luggage).

I think I would go ahead and make the reservation as it's a small and fairly efficient airport.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Thanks!

Anything can you tell me about Croatia Air in general? My concern is that their flights between BRU and DBV are pretty infrequent and on some days there are none. Flights from BRU to ZAG are more frequent, but it also appears that you can't just hop a train and get from ZAG to DBV-Dubrovnik is not reachable by train. My nightmare (I'm very good about worrying 6 mos. in advance) is that, say, we book an itinerary that has us flying to Brussels and connecting to Croatia Air on a Tuesday and they change their schedules to eliminate the Tuesday flight, or make it earlier so we can't make it given the timing of our arrival into Brussels, or the BRU-ZAG flight leaves Brussels late and miss the connection from ZAG to DBV. It's not like you can just hop the next flight in a couple of hours- there are none- and we're planning on a Hilton Reward stay in Dubrovnik so they may not be able to accommodate last-minute changes.

I'm almost desperate enough to take BA through London.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Athena53
Anything can you tell me about Croatia Air in general?
I don't have a wide experience of Croatia Airlines, but on the whole it's a decent and serious airline and the flights I have taken have been pretty much on time.
Nice inflight service with friendly FAs and free food (at least sandwiches) and drinks (incl alcohol) on all international flighs in economy class.
On domestic flights it's only soft drinks/coffee and a cookie though.

Getting from ZAG to Dubrovnik is indeed tricky if you miss the flight.
The best option is to take a night train to Split and then a bus from Split to Dubrovnik. The bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik is actually very beautiful as you drive along the Croatian coast. Well worth it if you have the time!
However if everything is booked on one ticket the airline is responsible to get you to Dubrovnik so you will probably be rebooked to the next flight.

Otherwise if you're really worried about the connection, why not fly from another European city? OU flies to pretty much all major European hubs and some of them (especially the *A hubs like FRA, MUC and VIE) will offer far more and better options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.