Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

FlyGlobespan airline Transatlantic flts JFK and BOS to NOC Ireland west airport

Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.

Has anyone here had any experience with this airline. They offer economy-no frills pay for food, economy w/food and drinks and Business. They do not give much information on their website. They are a scottish company based out of GLA.

http://www.flyglobespan.com/US/index.asp
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
There is a trip report by someone for the Glasgow-Orlando flight that they took back in October 2006. If it's not in the trip reports forum, have a look in the BA forum.

The company seems to be gaining ground and I'd say is now past the embryonic phase.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I'm not sure having to stop GLA and LPL flights in NOC is a sign of gaining ground..sounds a bit like they need to put bums on seats
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colmc
I'm not sure having to stop GLA and LPL flights in NOC is a sign of gaining ground..sounds a bit like they need to put bums on seats
that's a bit harsh imo - they're a charter carrier and as such will carry o&d traffic where fit. perhaps you should be asking why LPL has the capacity for its own TATL flight before knocking Knock. (whose there...)
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
How's FlyGlobeSpan's safety?

I think its great for the Boston market - only non-stops are with Aer Lingus - so no competition. The fares right now are $850 with ALingus and FlyGlobeSpan will be $518. I was planning on heading straight from Shannon for Knock anyway and up to Sligo.

Now...safety is another issue that I would gladly pay $300 extra for. That's what I'd like to know about with this "new" carrier.

Mrs. P
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatFlyer

Now...safety is another issue that I would gladly pay $300 extra for. That's what I'd like to know about with this "new" carrier.

Mrs. P
Well, as a UK-registered carrier they fly under the auspices of the CAA who aren't exactly known for being a soft touch.

I'm struggling to think when a British commercial passenger plane was last involved in a fatal accident. Looking at www.airsafe.com, there was one back in the mid 1980's (British Airtours, part of BA) where a fire on takeoff killed about 50 and another crash in 1989 where a bmi plane made an emergency landing with fatalities, but otherwise there seems to have been nothing since.

Obviously we have fewer flights than the US, but airsafe has some calculations on it to account for this and BA is "safter" than United, Northwest & Delta. BMI is safter than American.

If the registration starts "G-" then i'd have no hesitation getting onboard.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:39 am

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/flygspan.htm for passengers opinions of FlyGlobespan might also help you decide. Aer Lingus can be found on the same site. There are other sites out there too
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:39 am

I guess this opens up KNock/Glasgow/Liverpool traffic also

I am curious to know if they wil use 757 or 767 traffic on these routes.

Wide body flights between UK and Ireland potentialy!!!!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:06 am

After having issues MCO-EWR-GLA with CO on the outbound of a miles ticket, I opted for the non-stop GLA-SFB flt. with Globespan leaving my return with CO hanging for use until last week. I just couldn't deal with the weather at EWR anymore that weekend so after seeing a long queue at CO in GLA, I inquired with Globespan. The lady said the flt. was on time to leave for SFB in about an hour. I said how much. She said 129 GBP. I said I'm in - sign me up - I'll try it.

Some friends I play soccer with here in Orlando had taken it as a cheap way to the World Cup in Germany connecting in GLA with a LCC. They don't travel much and there only comments they had were that it was a good flt...professional. With that in mind I thought there will probably be nobody on it - how bad could it be?

Expecting the worst, I am pleased to say that it was no worse than a flt. on any american carrier in economy. There was in fact more emphasis on safety procedures such as seat belts, exits etc...than other carriers I have been on.

It was an american made 767-300 which is my favorite airplane so I felt my chances of making it across were good. The service was what you pay for...like a dollar a coke, brought my own food....no problem. A quick 7 hr. 55min. and I was back in Orlando sans the trip to EWR hell.
Even though I collect DL and CO miles, I would do the flt. again given the right price and timing.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eireman

I doubt it will open up seats on these end sectors because of immigration issues. You don't need a passport to travel between the UK & Ireland as they're in what I think is called the "common travel area."

As such, flights landing in the UK from Eire have to clear customs but not immigration. This contrasts with flights from the US to the UK that obviously have to clear both.

I presume it would be too time consuming to make everyone deplane at NOC to clear Irish immigration...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:23 pm

if they wil use 757
757's, I believe.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

It may be both 767 and 757 as there are 3 cabins (economy, e+ and biz) on the JFK flt and 2 to BOS
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colmc
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/flygspan.htm for passengers opinions of FlyGlobespan might also help you decide. Aer Lingus can be found on the same site. There are other sites out there too
Wow! Not very impressed with those TATL reviews.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by eireman

NOC runway length: 7,546ft

Min runway length for a full laden 763: 7,900ft
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris18london
NOC runway length: 7,546ft

Min runway length for a full laden 763: 7,900ft
Yes, but on the basis a fully laden 767 can go from London to San Francisco (5367 miles) whilst the flight from Knock to NYC is only 3076 miles, i'm sure they'll just about manage.

Also, the LPL runway is marginally shorter still at just 7,500ft...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.