Icelandair experiences...

Old Oct 17, 06, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles, JetBlue TrueBlue
Icelandair experiences...

Flying on Icelandair for the first time since I was 8 next month. Anyone have any recent experience with the airline? How smooth is the trip going to be? How will the inflight service be?
Old Oct 19, 06, 1:54 am

Programs: AS, FB, SPG, MR
Icelandair are what flag carriers were twenty years, slow cumbersome and heavily unionised

They still fly a fleet of B757s, which are bit rough around the edges, but with a healthy enough seat pitch. If you're lucky you may get to fly on one of their newer B767s if you're flying from the states, primarily MSP or SFO

I've only ever flown them out of GLA so I can't tell whats it like to fly from elsewhere, however they've never seemed to be full flights.

The inflight is pretty plain and straight forward, no seatback tvs and very old film on overhead CRT tvs or if you're lucky overhead LCD!

Anyway check this out for a more in depth dissection of all things Iceland air

http://airreview.members.beeb.net/Iceland/index.htm
Old Oct 19, 06, 10:13 am
Tel

Programs: old,FB gold,BMI silver,QR Gold,HH Gold.SPG Gold BA Silver
Unhappy

I flew with them a few years ago LHR to BOS via Iceland and I remember that in economy your first drink was complimentary but any further consumption and you were charged. That was 5 years ago.
Old Oct 20, 06, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
I've flown FI once JFK-KEF-JFK and about five LHR-KEF-LHR trips (and six or seven domestic / Greenland flights). The majority of the flights have been memorable for their sameness: same meal, same video showing in-flight relaxation exercises, same on-time service - it's almost a little scary.

Catering is all right, and I think soft drinks and water are free on No Am routes. Blankets and pillows are available, and the crew are friendly, but not excessively so.

I like FI, and like KEF because it looks chaotic but works so well.
Old Oct 23, 06, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, FB, SPG, MR
KEF is nice, very chaotic as you say, especially at 6 in the morning when all the flights to mainland Europe are departing, however it must be one of the most spectacularly set international airports in the world, right smack in the middle of a lava field, the view down the south coast of Iceland on approach from Europe is amazing

some of my iceland pics from this year

http://www.majikvfx.com/igallery/vie...lbid=3&stage=1