Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

What are my rights if award flight on SN Brussels is canceled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I don't like to cross-post, (this question was originally posted in the American Airlines forum because I'm using an AA award ticket) but other Flyertalkers who responded to that post suggested I post the question here as well.

I had booked and ticketed an award travel trip using AA miles. I'm flying to Strasbourg via Brussels. That portion of the trip is on SN Brussels airline, a partner of American. Just got a call from AA stating that my flight to at 8:50 pm to Strasbourg was canceled. The rep said that they protected me by putting me on the next available flight, at 8:50pm the next day (only one flight a day between Brussels and Strasbourg on SN.) Although it messes up my schedule tremendously, I am prepared to take the flight to Strasbourg the next day rather that rerouting (which would cause even more headaches to my scheduling situation).

That said, do I have any rights because they canceled my flight and caused a huge inconvenience, not to mention the fact that I have to pay for a hotel now in Brussels, cancel appointments, reschedule appointments, etc.? American said that because my flight is on a partner airline, they can't compensate me for the hotel, but what they could offer me was $100 voucher (one for me and my wife). I asked if miles were possible in lieu of the vouchers, but they said no.

Someone in the other forum mentioned that I should review "Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 "

A copy of that can be found at this web page (and clicking on the link which gives the regulation in PDF format). I read that and Article 7 states that a passenger denied boarding should be able to receive 250 euro compensation (I am assuming that Brussels to Strasbourg is less than 1500 km, but I am not sure).
http://www.transport.gov.uk/stellent...030483-01.hcsp

However, I also came across SN Brussles General Contract of Carriage, which can be seen here:
http://www.flysn.be/en_be/informatio...-carriage.aspx

That states (see section 16.3) that a passenger denied boarding should be able to receive 150 euros.

Do you know whether cancelation of a flight, qualifies as a "passenger denied boarding", if they put me on the next available flight which happens to be 24 hours later than my original flight?

If it does count, which rule should apply, SN Brussels contract, or the EU regulation?

Does the fact that this is an award ticket have any impact on the outcome?

If I am able to receive compensation, how do you suggest I go about asking for it? Do I ask the rep from American Airlines, or do I need to call SN? Are there any tricks they can try to pull (such as offering a voucher instead of cash) that I should be aware of and watch out for?

What about paying for the hotel and trasportation to/from the hotel? Do they have to do that, or is the cash compensation supposed to cover that?

If I accept the vouchers from AA, do I give up my right to compensation from SN (assuming I'm entitled to anything from SN)? Is it possible I could get both the vouchers from AA and the cash from SN?

Any insight or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hhonorman; Mar 31, 2006 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Which day are you flying ? - there is also a flight BRU SXB - SN3655 at 0940 am
* Strasbourg is indeed less than 1500 km - around 450 km
* I would definitively ask the SN Customer Service desk to get compensation since they cancel the flight - their number + 32 2 723 2323. There is also a ticketing desk at the airport with SN managers.
* If it was a paid ticket, I would ask them to fly me to Basel (140 km from SXB) and pay for transportation to Strasbourg so I can be there on time. As it is an award ticket, I think they will not put you on the flight to Basel since it is operated by Swiss.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
If you are incovenienced considerably and SN would not rebook you on another flight on the same day, I would think about taking the train. It takes just 5 1/2 hours from Brussels airport to Strasbourg central station - that sounds a lot better than a wasted day in Brussels. For example, today the last connection from Brussels Airport to Strasbourg is at 17:04, connecting at Brussels North. If your inbound into BRU is to late for this, have a nice meal in Brussels and take the first direct train in the morning, leaving at 7 am. This would still get you into Strasbourg at 12:13.

European trains are also nicer than in the US, so don't worry.

Obviously you could also rent a car. Should take about 4 hours.

SmilingBoy.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Those European regulations only apply within either 7 or 14 days of the flight IIRC. Assuming you're outside of these the airline's own conditions apply and that will be to get you from A to B or give you a refund if it's not acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.