Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet service at Cathay prices?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by washingtonian
You must be English!
How peculiar. English people on the BA Board. Something strange going on.

Originally Posted by washingtonian
On being sent to bed with no food, you just think that nanny is always right.
The goat? Of course she is always right. That's why we cuddle up every night in bed.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by secretbunnyboy
Are you genuinely this annoyed about it or are you just being paid to spread black PR against BA?
I am very disappointed (but no mental anguish). I am a loyal BA customer and have flown this route frequently. Before the sleeper service, you had a choice: either dinner, or a snack + early bed. Now that choice has been taken away for the people who want to eat and stay awake for a while, and the people who want to go straight to bed are no better off.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me thinks this is the same bloke that couldn't get Ting Tong into the Spa.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
LOL
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Ironically he was from the other Washington.....Washington State.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Smirnoff! That's naughty...

washingtonian, when the sleeper service was first introduced, there was actually quite a lot of tooth-gnashing on here, quite a lot of it along the lines you are saying. However, for most people using it in practice it does work rather well, and the feelings on here (generally of course) have gone from "oh my god the world is ending" to "actually, its quite a good idea really". Those who just want to sleep can get a meal now and sleep (whereas before it was one or the other), those who don't want to sleep can stay awake if they need to. Where the problem lies is with the small number of people who for one reason or another don't have the opportunity to eat at the lounge - and the vast majority of those understand the concept, so probably know they will either be snacking, or to pick something up at the airport.

I don't know if you lurked on here before the flight, but I presume not, otherwise you would have known what the sleeper service entails, and been prepared for it. Unfortunately, despite BA's best efforts to inform you, you weren't. It's a shame, but as a passenger, you should take some responsibility for looking at information provided when booking the flight... I can understand your frustration, but you've got to admit, it is a little bit self inflicted.

And don't mind the board too much - part of our problem is we have a short attention span, and tend not to take anything too seriously (well, bizarrely, except for fish puns, and having parties )... welcome to FT. I do hope you will be able to use the information you can gain on here to ensure you don't have such a disappointing flight in the future...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA
washingtonian, its quite simple - if you don't like the BA Sleeper Service, go fly on United.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you are serious, then you should know that a poster here who was actually involved in the development of the Sleeper Service has explained that saving money was not part of it. And how can there be fewer crew? All the outbound flights are day flights, and all the crew who flew out on the day flights have to fly back.This is what makes me suspect that this post is a troll. BA exists in large part to carry business people from one place to another, where they then have to go to work. The Sleeper Service was put there and is still there because this is what the profitable load - those paying $5K and not those in award seats - wants.
I would also question whether the Sleeper Service saves BA money. When you consider the capital investment in setting up dining facilities at the US airports, additional staff and catering costs at the US airports, no reduction in crew numbers on the flight, I don't see any savings for BA.

Passengers tend to vastly over-estimate how much the meal itself, even in J and F, costs the airline. Savings only really come when you sweep away the whole catering supply chain in its entirety.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:53 pm

This happened to a friend of mine in CW ex ORD when expecting to eat onboard. Clear labelling of these flights is very important - in the e-ticket notice and not by way of link.

I also think it should be possible to have an Express Meal option onboard a sleeper service flight, where 3 courses could be served on a single tray. That would facilitate those who are running late (often full fare payers) and those who, for whatever reason, are unaware of Sleeper Service.

Personally, I don't like the sleep zone a la VS. If I can't sleep I'd like to be able to read or watch a movie unencumbered by restrictions.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:58 am

Programs: BA
I'm with the OP on this one. If you are on the earlier flight, your business meeting runs on and you get someone to push your res back from the earlier to the later flight, what are the chances they will even interpret a remark about "sleeper service" as "no meals", especially for a premium passenger ?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
what are the chances they will even interpret a remark about "sleeper service" as "no meals", especially for a premium passenger ?
Do you really interpret getting:
- baguette with a hot filling &
- warm cookies &
- hot & cold drinks of choice

as "no meals"? (And this does not include any of the Raid-the-larder options.) I often have dinner that is less elaborate than that. And I certainly would be hesitant in labelling this as "forced starvation"!!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
washingtonian, its quite simple - if you don't like the BA Sleeper Service, go fly on United.
Sorry - my instinct as well. I was about to say any sympathy that I had went when out with the rude jibe. However, without going much further all I will say is that the style and content has a very familair ring about it. April 1st is a little way off - so I am sure that any Loyal British Airways flyer is entitled to a little fun now and again. I confess myself to be perplexed how any Frequent Flyer can manage to upgrade with miles and not notice the fact that it is a sleeper service. Still it takes all sorst I suppose.

Speaking of which we had someone on Board the other day en route to Delhi (as it happens) who requested an upgrade (no it was not a demand more of a full powered wheedle) on the basis that he was the original inspiration for the Cat in the Hat. So earnest was he, and so amused was I that I felt sorry saying that I suspected that I was the prototype for Mrs Tiggywinkle (as read to me by [i]my[i] Nanny - or was it the Governess by this stage O Memory the tricks that it can pull) as I am both prickly and seem to be surrounded by ironing.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sorry - my instinct as well. I was about to say any sympathy that I had went when out with the rude jibe. However, without going much further all I will say is that the style and content has a very familair ring about it. April 1st is a little way off - so I am sure that any Loyal British Airways flyer is entitled to a little fun now and again. I confess myself to be perplexed how any Frequent Flyer can manage to upgrade with miles and not notice the fact that it is a sleeper service. Still it takes all sorst I suppose.
Well said, Ms GALORE. ^
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:17 am

When the sleeper service first started, there were indeed many passengers that really didn't know what it entailed and landed at LHR a few pounds lighter. At the time I fed back (no pun intended) to the Co that maybe a few meals should be loaded for people who hadn't had chance to grab food in the lounge. This may be addressed when NNNNNNNN Club is revealed. (....said Loob mysteriously!!)

However, as far as the case of the OP goes. The crew did indeed feed him albeit "with much rolling of eyes" ( I probably would've thrown in a "tut" for effect, but, that's just me. Ever the drama queen)
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Do you really interpret getting:
- baguette with a hot filling &
- warm cookies &
- hot & cold drinks of choice

as "no meals"? (And this does not include any of the Raid-the-larder options.) I often have dinner that is less elaborate than that. And I certainly would be hesitant in labelling this as "forced starvation"!!
There's no pleasing some people.

Some wacko BA passengers complain of forced starvation, while some equally (or most likely, less) wacko Guantanamo inmates complain of forced feeding.

I know. Transfer the "combattants" to the Upper Deck, and send the miserable complainers off on a one-way ticket to Cuba. Then everyone will be happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.