Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France flight down in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Air France flight down in Toronto

An Air France airbus 340 from Paris with 241 passengers is down in Toronto now. Some initial reports are that all passengers are off and I can only pray that is true.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Hertz
From CNN.com - Jet overruns runway in Toronto, burns

From CNN.com

TORONTO, Canada (CNN) -- An Air France jet overran a runway and burst into flames Tuesday at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

The Associated Press reported 200 passengers were onboard the Airbus 340. There was no information on casualties.

Flight 358 was scheduled to arrive from Paris's Charles de Gaulle International Airport at 3:35 p.m. EDT.

"This plane came off the runway. It slid off the runway and into this gully," said Toronto radio reporter Leah Walker, who witnessed the crash. "It's come off with probably a great amount of force into trees and the creek."

She said a fireball engulfed the plane.

"There are hundreds of emergency vehicles here to do whatever is possible to be done at this point."

Smoke billowed from the site, as scores of emergency workers sought to put it out.

Severe thunderstorms had occurred in the area beforehand.

Vito Porto, a freelance photographer, told Canada's Global television network that an explosion occurred after the crash, throwing debris for several hundred feet.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
I'm in Toronto. Local media reports two hours after crash, indicate all pax made it. Weather related... skidded off the end of the runway by a good 100 yards, at least. Speculation it may have been struck by lightning with several explosions.

Some being interviewed said there were very low clouds and lots of lightning. One pilot, who witnessed it, said he couldn't believe ATC was letting them land in such bad conditions.

Other flights now being re-routed to Buffalo, NY and Ottowa.

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
An Air France airbus 340 from Paris with 241 passengers is down in Toronto now. Some initial reports are that all passengers are off and I can only pray that is true.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
Much more chatter on the Air Canada thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.