Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

OT-Booze theft= no flight home ( Thomas Cook flight to Spain)

Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi;

from the bbc;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4722677.stm

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:58 pm

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Sound like idiots and getting exactly what they deserve. Stealing is stealing regardless whether it is from your local off licence or a trolley on a passenger aircraft.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yorweb
Sound like idiots and getting exactly what they deserve. Stealing is stealing regardless whether it is from your local off licence or a trolley on a passenger aircraft.
Surely it depends on whether Thomas Cook charge for drinks in-flight . It says that they refused to serve them and they then helped themselves.

Dave
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Surely it depends on whether Thomas Cook charge for drinks in-flight . It says that they refused to serve them and they then helped themselves.

Dave
The fact that drinks are given out free by the crew to passengers does not validate passengers helping themselves to drinks unless invited to do so. Those beers etc. were the property of the airline until, in the discretion of the crew, they were given to passengers. Any unauthorized taking amounts to theft. Frankly, the cost of getting home will be a quite sufficient penalty.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Imperial Special
The fact that drinks are given out free by the crew to passengers does not validate passengers helping themselves to drinks unless invited to do so. Those beers etc. were the property of the airline until, in the discretion of the crew, they were given to passengers. Any unauthorized taking amounts to theft. Frankly, the cost of getting home will be a quite sufficient penalty.
Theft plain and simple. I'll bet that the ground staff knew that they had been drinking and just stuck them on board to get rid of them. They then leave the evidence under their seats? They sound too stupid to be allowed on an aeroplane never mind anything else.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:19 am

True it's theft but in my view the airline over-reacted. This is not a way to treat customers.
I don't think I would book a tour with Thomas Cook after reading this.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:25 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Travlrrr
True it's theft but in my view the airline over-reacted. This is not a way to treat customers.
You have to know the background of Thomas Cook himself !

"Thomas Cook was born in Melbourne, Derbyshire, in 1808. Brought up as a strict Baptist, Thomas served an apprenticeship as a wood-turner and cabinet-maker. At seventeen Thomas joined the local Temperance Society and over the next few years spent his spare-time campaigning against the consumption of alcohol. Thomas Cook also publishing Baptist and Temperance pamphlets.

In 1841 Cook had the idea of arranging an eleven-mile rail excursion from Leicester to a Temperance Society meeting in Loughborough on the newly extended Midland Railway. Cook charged his customers one shilling and this included the cost of the rail ticket and the food on the journey. The venture was a great success and Cook decided to start his own business running rail excursions."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BUcook.htm
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Dave
All the big charters charge for drinks, surely?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Really ???

I find it reassuring that drunken 18-30 idiots are being banned from aircraft. Perhaps if it happened more often then these pricks might learn that 30,000ft is not the place to act the fool.

Well done to Thomas Cook.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:55 am

From looking at another thread, they could soon be coming to a CE cabin near you.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
So you think that it would be wrong if a "customer" shoplifted something from a shop and then were banned from the premises as a consequence?

They stole goods that didn't belong to them, and Thomas Cook are quite right in refusing to carry them.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:07 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
It was a perfectly reasonable way to deal with petty thieves.
Only those who were planning to steal stuff should be worried about using Thomas Cook.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Will they refund the unused return part of the tix or will they just not honour it on the grounds of theft? Do they have their backends covered for breach of contract?

It seems to me a more appropriate course of action was to notify the police of the alleged theft who would open a file and ask fellow pax (plenty of witnesses if true), while still fulfill their contract and take them back.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by alex69uk
Will they refund the unused return part of the tix or will they just not honour it on the grounds of theft? Do they have their backends covered for breach of contract?

It seems to me a more appropriate course of action was to notify the police of the alleged theft who would open a file and ask fellow pax (plenty of witnesses if true), while still fulfill their contract and take them back.
If they booked a package holiday, then more than likely there will be a clause about continuation of holiday after unacceptable behaviour.

For example this clause from Thomson Holidays

14. Conduct while travelling
We reserve the right to refuse to accept you as a customer or continue dealing with you if your behaviour is disruptive or affects other travellers or is threatening or abusive towards our staff or agents in the UK or resort, on the telephone, in writing or in person. If the Captain of your flight or cruise ship or our resort staff believes that you could be disruptive, they can also refuse to let you proceed with your travel arrangements. If this means you are not allowed to board the flight outbound from the UK, we will treat your booking as cancelled by you from that moment, and you will have to pay full cancellation charges (see section 12). If this occurs overseas then you will become responsible for your own return home and any other members of your group who cannot or will not travel without you. In any of these circumstances no refunds or compensation will be paid to you and we may make a claim against you for any costs and expenses incurred as a result of your behaviour e.g. the cost of diverting an aircraft or ship to remove you. Criminal proceedings may also be instigated.

Unfortnatley, badly behaved customers is not an uncommon feature of some British package holidays, and the tour operators need a contractual way of dealing with them.

Last edited by ChickenOrBeef; Jul 28, 2005 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
It was a perfectly reasonable way to deal with petty thieves.
Only those who were planning to steal stuff should be worried about using Thomas Cook.
Uh oh, you found me out. I was planning a major heist and those little liquor bottles were going to make me rich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.