Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Malta - Information, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Getting to the airport is your first challenge - there is no direct routing from Valletta (we were actually in St. Julian's), roads can get clogged and some are currently under construction. Twenty minutes is very good time, leave soe time for things to go wrong.
20' is definitely worth a trip report on flyertalk!!
From St Julian's by bus, it takes easily 90' (X2, 'Express', according to Arriva...)
and by car up to 45-50'.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by Alice11
From St Julian's by bus, it takes easily 90' (X2, 'Express', according to Arriva...)
and by car up to 45-50'.
If it does, you're going the wrong way. Even with the current roadworks, it only takes me 45-50 minutes from Xemxija. Simply go via Qormi. Admittedly Luqa is also dug up at the top of the hill, but there are numerous ways into the airport area.

Anyway, any votes for Air Malta's FlyPass for being the most useless frequent flyer program ever? Intra-Europe rewards are at around 50,000 miles with a very flaky redemption system. On most airlines you'll be able to fly across an ocean for that amount of points, not just the 60 miles of the Malta Channel.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by gnarly
If it does, you're going the wrong way.
Nope, I don't, and in that case 100% of the drivers, over 3 years, have gone the wrong way, because I don't have a car. Yes, I know, I'm an exception in a country with 400K residents and 320k cars . From St Julian's, near Paceville, in my case, which is easier being close to the junction- you can easily take the bypass. Then, after a while you got stuck in mini-traffic jams and then again when you get closer to the airport. The situations has been even worse for months because of the works on Santa Lucija, or whatever is its name, and then the detour. There're a number of roads, but most of them go through small towns and are subject to sudden traffic jams.
If everything is fine, you can manage to get to the airport in 20', as Jdiver pointed out - which is an appalling timing anyway, in my opinion, for such a short trip - otherwise, it takes longer.

it only takes me 45-50 minutes from Xemxija
Well, 'only' 50', for a bunch of KMs,... Anyway, Xemxija, it's a different story. The main 'backstreets' are usually not subject to traffic jams. So, usually, you don't have problems, around Xemxija; you may encounter some issue when getting closer to the airport.
Distance doesn't really matter. Traffic is the issue, or even better the lack of something we may call 'roads' plus a Maltese fad: cars, cars galore.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Like many nationalities, we Maltese love to complain. The new Arriva operated bus system is a classic example. But, you're right, there are far too many cars. It's shocking considering the price of cars in Malta, and in particular the cost of importing vehicles. I want to import my car from the UK, as it's 11 years old and the family needs a vehicle in Malta, whereas we need a newer car in the UK. The import duties are over 10 x the value of the vehicle. Lovely.

Makes KM miles look like good value.

On a serious point. If you* are going to fly with Air Malta, and I hope you do as it's a friendly little airline, be sure to deposit your miles into a different program.

*you = general punters, not "locals" like Alice and myself.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:25 am

And another reason

I've just looked at the fine print in the T&Cs and found out that miles expire (without warning) after 36 months, even if you are regularly topping them up.
I've just lost nearly 25000 in one lump, which I certainly didn't earn in one month, so it may be a new (or newly enforced) rule.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:18 am

Take your pets on holiday

bump to bring this news.

Air Malta allows pets to travel in the cabin
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:57 pm

air malta

Reasonable timekeeping. Pleasant staff. Not easy booking direct and their online system is a mess. Their business class seems a bargain in terms of price until you try the exceedingly average seats and hold down your nausea when you see the dishes they put before you. As for their club lounge in the airport in Malta, you'll want to leave and walk around the snack bars in duty free and get a decent cup of coffee and an edible bite to eat. Their club lounge in Heathrow is okay because they borrow Etihad's
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:20 am

I've just looked at the fine print in the T&Cs and found out that miles expire (without warning) after 36 months, even if you are regularly topping them up.
I've just lost nearly 25000 in one lump, which I certainly didn't earn in one month, so it may be a new (or newly enforced) rule.
Strangely, after a 4 month disappearing act, my miles have reappeared, possibly due to a late posting Czech flight. Who knows. It doesn't really matter as my (really) hard earned 30k are still next to useless.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:39 am

I would like to use LH miles to get an award, but would prefer to check availability myself.

Does anybody know how to check award availability for Air Malta, or the fare class used for awards? If I setup an account for their FF program, can I check availability on the Air Malta site even if I have no miles, and is it the same availability I would get with LH? Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
I would like to use LH miles to get an award, but would prefer to check availability myself.

Does anybody know how to check award availability for Air Malta, or the fare class used for awards? If I setup an account for their FF program, can I check availability on the Air Malta site even if I have no miles, and is it the same availability I would get with LH? Thanks for your advice.
You have to call / email them, no online feature.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: CX, SQ, UA
Hello fellows,

I will be taking Air Malta from Malta to Rome (one-way) on 12 August. And I noted that the ticket price is quite expensive (over euro200 per person, all inclusive). I know Easyjet has another flight same day but I prefer the Air Malta because of the timing (also the price difference with Easyjet is not that material)

3 questions here:-

Is buying directly from Airmalta website is the cheapest way of getting the tickets?

Will the ticket prices fluctuate from time to time (just like the Ryanair) and generally speaking is it more expensive when getting closer to departure date?

Is there any website or anyone here who has the Airmalta Miles and would like to sell it, so that I can get the ticket at a cheaper price?

Thanks a million for all the inputs and advices.

Best
Franky
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by frankyday
I know Easyjet has another flight same day
Alitalia has another flight, and it's about € 215 now.

Is buying directly from Airmalta website is the cheapest way of getting the tickets?
Usually yes

Will the ticket prices fluctuate from time to time (just like the Ryanair)
Do you mean... downwards? Usually no, and I wouldn't expect any promo. It's the peak of the high season.

and generally speaking is it more expensive when getting closer to departure date?
Usually yes.

Is there any website or anyone here who has the Airmalta Miles and would like to sell it, so that I can get the ticket at a cheaper price?
Don't count on award availability on August 12, on this route.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: CX, SQ, UA
Thanks so much for the advice, Alice.

Then probably I need to bear the expensive price...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Skyteam Gold, VA Gold
Does anyone know what lounge Air Malta uses for Business/Club class passengers at Zurich Airport?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:07 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Skyteam Gold, VA Gold
Not to worry, I just found out it's the Swiss Business Lounge

Originally Posted by AMOZ
Does anyone know what lounge Air Malta uses for Business/Club class passengers at Zurich Airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.