Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for 2-wheeled carry-on bag for Wizz and RyanAir

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:37 am
Original Poster

We have purchased priority on a few RyanAir and WizzAir flights and we initially were going to bring 2 Osprey Porter 46 bags, but now have decided to bring one Porter 46 (will this fit in the sizer if not overpacked) and one rolling bag, so we can strap one of our carseats to it. We live in the US and are looking for a rolling bag available here that will fit in the sizer and that is very lightweight. Any suggestions? We have a TravelPro carryon that is great but seems to be 1/2" too big and we don't want to be forced to check it.

Also, we will be travelling with a 5 month old and an almost 3 year old. Our 3 year old will bring her own small backpack. We will fit all of the other clothes in our backpack and roller. We wanted to make sure that RyanAir will let us put the GBPockit All Terrain+ under the seat as one of our personal items? It definitely fits under the seat, but measures 20x40x32 folded (RyanAir's personal item dimensions are 40x20x25, so 5cm too large). They won't make any extra money on it by trying to get us to check it because we are entitled to it for free as a gate-check, so would they let us bring it on board to put under the seat if we can show them it will fit under the seat? We prefer to do this so it doesn't get damaged.

We plan on bringing an Osprey Daylite as our "diaper bag". Do both RyanAir and Wizz allow us a diaper bag?

Lastly, we will be bringing two soft children carriers for the 2 kids. If we walk on to the plane with the kids in these, will they count them as "bags"? We did purchase a seat for our infant, so even if they try to say the carrier is a bag, I guess we could bring it on as his personal item.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Unfortunately in terms of answering your question, there is no such thing as "Ryanair" from the point of view of enforcement in the sense that FR flights are typically handled by third party handling agents in most airports. As a result, how strictly they enforce rules can and will vary.

I would say that typically, the reputation of Ryanair is to be a "tough" airline with little flexibility, and in my experience, most handling contractors seem to assume that this is the ethos needed in working FR flights, which means that hand luggage checks are frequent and often strict.

In that sense, whilst it is possible that your oversize small item will be let through, I would start from the assumption that it would not be and that you may be required to check it (or more likely to check the cabin suitcase which would fit Ryanair's interests better). If you want to be sure that you can keep everything with you on board, then unfortunately, you will need to stick to their measurements exactly, if you don't there is a clear risk that it won't be allowed.

With regards to the suitcase question, I don't have specific recommendations, but just remember that FR and virtually all other airlines care about "all in" dimensions (inclusive of wheels, handles etc) whilst sometimes in US shops, the focus is on the "body" dimensions of the suitcase. Many people have been caught up in the discrepancy.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I've been using a 4-wheel itluggage 20" spinner that I bought at Primark for like 30€-35€ or something. It weighs 1.2kg. I did need to replace the wheels on it a few times (because I keep overloading it) but it's held up great so far!
I don't see the 20" version anywhere other than Primark though.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SudOvest
We have purchased priority on a few RyanAir and WizzAir flights
If it would be a normal airline i would say no worries about it but with FR or W6 or U2 its another story, as others said they are super strict about luggages , its all about the money

If your bag is 5cm too large , then be ready to be asked to pay for it

I dont know for diaper bags cause i dont have kids , but at gate it might be counted as a bag if they see its bigger than a shoebox or a book (it sounds ridiculous but it is quite often the case) so ensure you have an allowance that enable you to take this diaper bag

For kids carriers , no idea also (no kids) , so check FR and airport policies regarding this matter

To avoid any extra arguments at gate, simply check-in all bags at the drop-off counter and you will fly peacefully , if the boarding agents will see you with too many items , this will definitely catch their eyes and will be subject for verification

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 4, 2022 at 3:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.