Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair Saga class COVID catering

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Icelandair Saga class COVID catering

How is the current state of food and beverage catering in Saga class?

I’m trying to determine whether to visit Iceland from USA this summer and whether to buy Saga.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

I’m trying to determine whether to visit Iceland from USA this summer and whether to buy Saga.
I'm sure you already checked this page, but I'll add it here just in case.

https://www.icelandair.com/support/covid-19/faq/

Among the long list of topics, this is included. Hopefully someone else has flown recently and can post photos or examples.

Are there any changes to the onboard services (meals, duty-free shopping)?

Yes. To minimize health risks to passengers and staff, we are taking the following proactive measures on our flights.

Changes to in-flight food and drink service

You are welcome to bring your own refreshments on board, but keep in mind that alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited.

We recommend you purchase drinks after passing through the airport security check, as 100mL limits still apply to liquids in hand luggage at the security screening.

Between Europe and Iceland:
  • In Economy, passengers receive a bottle of water when boarding. We offer in-flight beverage service of complimentary coffee, tea, water, juice and soda. From March 16, light meals and snacks, wine and beer will be offered for purchase on board. All children between 2 and 11 years old receive a complimentary meal. Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver pre-purchased meals.
  • In Saga Premium, passengers will receive a bottle of water when boarding. Meal service will be available with 1 choice of main course offered with a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Please note that there is a limit of 2 alcoholic beverages per passenger.
Between North America and Iceland:
  • In Economy, passengers receive a bottle of water when boarding. We offer in-flight beverage service of complimentary coffee, tea, water, juice and soda. From March 16, light meals and snacks, wine and beer will be offered for purchase on board. All children between 2 and 11 years old receive a complimentary meal. Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver pre-purchased meals.
  • In Saga Premium, passengers will receive a bottle of water when boarding. Meal service will be available with 1 choice of main course offered with a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Please note that there is a limit of 2 alcoholic beverages per passenger.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Thanks. That page was not easy to find!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Two drinks a person, for an eight hour flight?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA exec club, AAdvantage, UA, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hyatt
It’s only 5 to 5.5 hour overnight out of Boston or NY. Not sure why the limit, must be about minimizing contact and keeping masks on.

Would love to see any examples of current meals for saga. Booked for mid May.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:08 pm

It's not great at the moment, but wine, beer, prosecco, soft drinks, and coffee are all back. Even the little chocolates with your coffee. Food choices are still bare bones.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
What are some examples of meals served presently in Saga Premium North America to Iceland?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jm0115
What are some examples of meals served presently in Saga Premium North America to Iceland?
I heard it's just chicken (no choice), but you can preorder a vegan option.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

I thought the meals were very good. Just returned July 19 to the US.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jm0115
I thought the meals were very good. Just returned July 19 to the US.
Thank you for sharing. What’s the drinks menu like these days?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:37 am

The gins were very good. Nice snacks to go with the drinks too!
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the menu!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:21 pm

On FI's website, I read that a 48-hour notice is required to request a vegan meal for Saga class, is that right?

I'm asking because I'd like to bid up to Saga, but apparently if my bid is accepted, I will be notified no less than 26 hours prior to departure. In that case, there is a chance I won't be able to request a vegan meal, unless the bid acceptance notification comes more than 48 hours prior to departure.

Is my understanding correct?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

All the food and drink were quite high quality on my recent trip to Iceland. Enjoyed the gin library and the snacks. Food was very good out of KEF (cold beef main, no choice of main) and fairly good out of USA. Service was really excellent on my ex-US flight -- purser made sure to offer gins with both lime and lemon, and properly presented with labels facing the customer. Out of the KEF, the service was mostly OK. Notable exceptions: (a) one FA made a lot of noise repeatedly opening and closing the bins and closets in the Saga cabin to get her personal items and then to put her personal items away, and (b) difficulty getting a simple snack from the galley in the last hour of the flight.

Massive immigration line to leave the Schengen zone during the afternoon peak bank. Don't be disheartened, it does move quite speedily and the police said "it's like this every day." It looked like a daunting wait but they had many counters open and we were in line for less than 30min. I do wish Icelandair would set up a Saga class line and/or open a non-Schengen lounge. It would improve the experience.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:26 pm

Does Icelandair still serve food from disposable paper plates in Saga class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.