Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ryanair flight cancellation and rerouting

Old Dec 5, 20, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately my flight on 24/12 from Birmingham to Fuerteventura with Ryanair has been canceled (there were only 24 passengers booked, according to the chat customer service agent).

I have two options:
- Ask for a refund
- Book an alternative flight

Is there a time limit within which I have to choose to book an alternative flight, or can I do it until the last minute?
You know, these days it's better to do everything at the last minute so that you have the option of being refunded in case you can't go anymore.

In the email I received and on the website (https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...-cancellations) they say that if there are no flights alternatives on the same day or the next day (and actually from BHX to FUE there are none), "
we will assess flights from/to other airports within the same country. We have a number of partner airlines which include EasyJet, Jet2, Vueling, CityJet, Aer Lingus, Norwegian, Germania, Stobart, and Eurowings airlines. If we are unable to re-book you on an alternative flight on the same or next day, then we will review other transport options".

The alternative would be to fly to Tenerife South, then go to Tenerife North by bus and take Binter / Canary Fly to Fuerteventura from there.
I chatted to Ryanair and they say I have to buy the tickets and then send the refund request, they didn't want to guarantee me that I will be refunded.
As the flights and buses cost Ä 250 for two people, I don't want to risk it. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Another alternative would be to fly from Edinburgh (where I live) to Lanzarote on the morning of 24/12, then take a bus / taxi to Playa Blanca, a 30 minute ferry and then another bus / taxi to the hotel in Fuerteventura.
This would ultimately cost me a lot less, and if the money has to come out of my pocket with no refunds, that'd be better.
The Ryanair website says
"In order to assist you in reaching your final destination, we will review comparable transport alternatives. These options include, but are not limited to, train, bus, airline, or car hire. If you must use the comparable transport options then you may be advised to re-book flights yourself, and then submit your receipts to our customer service department for reimbursement. However, you must contact us prior to arranging alternative transport so we can try and accommodate you first."
Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 5, 20, 9:24 pm

Interesting that they might rebook you onto another carrier. I would have thought that they wouldnít even consider this. I would assume that you would have to collect receipts for additional cost and submit them afterwards. If they refuse to rebook you can always book yourself and try claiming it from them. I would think that chances of a successful claim are rather low, but I might be mistaken.

There seems to be a flight on the 23rd with Jet2. Maybe thatís an alternative (according to this snippet you posted they have some sort of agreement with Jet2)? Otherwise, you could ask them to cover the train fare to London and take a flight from there.
Old Dec 6, 20, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
The problem with changing flights these days is that a PCR test is needed, and itís better to allow at least 48 hours for the results, so the only flights I would take would be on 23/12 afternoon or 24/12 early morning.

I also think they would make some excuses for not reimbursing any expenses, hopefully they will pay the ferry at least...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: