Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Wizz Air - Flight cancelled - EC261/2004 re-routing requested - Wish me luck

Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

Just an FYI

I received notification of Wizz Air flight from Vienna to Warsaw being cancelled. Its in Jan (so no sub 14 day compensation) however the provisions of EC261/2004 allow me to either request a refund, book a new flight or request a re-route via another airline.

As I have specific plans to stick to, and the fact that LOT airlines is offering a flight at a very similar time, I decided a re-route is what I need.

A quick call to their (thankfully free on Three mobile 0330 contact centre (not their premium rate one for booking)) and after 5 minutes on hold I spoke to an agent

Re-route denied. Told to log a compliant via Website - which I have duly done.

Will keep everyone posted to see if they follow EU regulations or not.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no precedent for the proposition that Section 8 rerouting includes rerouting on another carrier. Thus, rebooking might be accomplished on the next WZ flight, whenever that is.

Your situation is complicated by two facts:
1. WZ does not have an interline e-ticketing agreement with LO. Thus, WZ would have to purchase a ticket for you on LO and the chances of that happening are less than slim.
2. EC Guidance (albeit non binding) issued in April makes it clear that during -- not necessarily resulting from -- the pandemic, that Section 8 will ordinarily be satisfied with a refund initiated within 7 days.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, I don't see accommodation on another carrier happening. I think the best that you can hope for if you need to travel that day is get a refund and buy a ticket on LO yourself.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no precedent for the proposition that Section 8 rerouting includes rerouting on another carrier. Thus, rebooking might be accomplished on the next WZ flight, whenever that is.
The airline has to rebook the passenger as soon as possible. If "as soon as possible" is so late that the passenger has to stay overnight, then the airline has to offer accommodation (such as a hotel room) free of charge. For example, if W6 says that the passenger can't be rebooked until at the earliest one month later, then the passenger is entitled to a hotel room plus food for an entire month. Demand a hotel room for the duration of the delay and see if they choose to rebook you on another airline instead.

If they neither offer rebooking nor a hotel room and food for the duration of the delay, then I'd book whichever is cheaper of the two and send the bill to W6 after the trip. It seems that you should try to keep the costs down, so I think it's safer to book only whichever option happens to be cheaper. Rebooking should be cheaper than a hotel room if the delay is more than at most a few days. That said, I wouldn't book anything which isn't fully refundable until the day of travel in case W6 later changes its mind and chooses to rebook you or offer a hotel room.

1. WZ does not have an interline e-ticketing agreement with LO. Thus, WZ would have to purchase a ticket for you on LO and the chances of that happening are less than slim.
Why are you bringing up Red Wings Airlines (WZ)? The person is travelling on Wizz (W6). The EU regulation says nothing about airlines having interlining agreements with each other, so I'd say that this makes no difference with respect to EU regulation entitlements.

2. EC Guidance (albeit non binding) issued in April makes it clear that during -- not necessarily resulting from -- the pandemic, that Section 8 will ordinarily be satisfied with a refund initiated within 7 days.
Which guidance are you talking about? The only guidance I'm aware of is this one, which says nothing like that.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't need to

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

its clear, they need to re-route me to my destination. Comparable transport is another airline that fly's that route.

I dont see why this is a COVID issue, other airlines are running this route.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You will get nowhere with this! Hell will freeze over before W6 rebooks you to another carrier this far out. Take the refund - W6 will provide an extra 20% if you accept a voucher for future travel; it makes good sense if you know you will travel W6 again.
Buy a new LO ticket on your own and move on! Not worth the time, hassle and frustration of getting nowhere with W6.
Often1 and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You will get nowhere with this! Hell will freeze over before W6 rebooks you to another carrier this far out. Take the refund - W6 will provide an extra 20% if you accept a voucher for future travel; it makes good sense if you know you will travel W6 again.
Buy a new LO ticket on your own and move on! Not worth the time, hassle and frustration of getting nowhere with W6.
W6 is required to rebook or provide a hotel room for the duration of the delay. If W6 refuses to do either, then I propose leaving the ticket the way it is, booking a ticket yourself and then suing W6 to have the cost of the rebooking refunded. However, you might get nowhere without suing the airline.

Unless people actually sue airlines when they refuse to rebook, there's no reason for the airlines to follow the law.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Im a new user
W6 is required to rebook or provide a hotel room for the duration of the delay. If W6 refuses to do either, then I propose leaving the ticket the way it is, booking a ticket yourself and then suing W6 to have the cost of the rebooking refunded. However, you might get nowhere without suing the airline.

Unless people actually sue airlines when they refuse to rebook, there's no reason for the airlines to follow the law.
Im not sure why you keep mentioning hotel room?

This is for a trip in Jan, I am flying BA to Vienna, then BA home from Warsaw. Wizz was the connecting hop between the two cities. One way ticket on a trip that hasn't happened yet.

I do however agree with you, it's about the principle. Why should I have to pay for a new ticket (at a higher cost than when I first booked) from another airline when the law states they have to re-route me.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Im not sure why you keep mentioning hotel room?

This is for a trip in Jan, I am flying BA to Vienna, then BA home from Warsaw. Wizz was the connecting hop between the two cities. One way ticket on a trip that hasn't happened yet.

I do however agree with you, it's about the principle. Why should I have to pay for a new ticket (at a higher cost than when I first booked) from another airline when the law states they have to re-route me.
If W6 are unable to rebook you on the same day, then they have to offer a hotel room in Vienna until the day of the first flight they can offer. For example, if the flight is in January, but they state that the earliest they can rebook you is in on the 1st of February, then they have to provide you with a hotel room in Vienna from January to the 1st of February. This is something which you can use to pressure them to rebook you much earlier. Hotel rooms cost a lot and it should be obvious to them that it is cheaper for them to buy a ticket on LOT than to pay for a long stay in a hotel.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:46 am

Thumbs up Common sense or principle

It seems right that in law W6 have to re-route you and that in the absence of anything suggesting the opposite, this per force includes rerouting with another airline. However, they are refusing to do so and you want to get from Vienna to Warsaw, so buy a ticket and if the principle is worth the difference in fare between what W6 refund you and what LOT charge you, sue W6 for that amount and damages. That is common sense. Otherwise, just ditch the whole trip if the cost is too high. Airlines like W6 work on the principle that most passengers will shout and moan then just melt away.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:56 am
Suspended

If W6 are unable to rebook you on the same day, then they have to offer a hotel room in Vienna until the day of the first flight they can offer. For example, if the flight is in January, but they state that the earliest they can rebook you is in on the 1st of February, then they have to provide you with a hotel room in Vienna from January to the 1st of February. This is something which you can use to pressure them to rebook you much earlier. Hotel rooms cost a lot and it should be obvious to them that it is cheaper for them to buy a ticket on LOT than to pay for a long stay in a hotel.
This is close to fantasy. It will not happen.

There remains no precedential authority for the proposition that a carrier must rebook on some other carrier. If OP has nothing better to do with his time, he is free to hang around until the next W6 flight and perhaps have his hotel room and meals paid for or reimbursed. If he wants to fly another carrier and W6 will not do it for him -- as it will not -- he is entitled to a full refund of his W6 ticket, he may then purchase whatever it is that he wishes and presumably claim any difference against his travel interruption insurance.

Which does raise the last point. Before going down the rabbit hole of rebooking, it is always worth pricing the alternative you want. If it is cheaper or roughly the same, simply take a refund and book what you want. Particularly during the pandemic, what were often very expensive last minute tickets are not and thus, one may walk away from this without having to fight.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:28 am

Do people realize the cost of suing anyone, how long it takes, and the difficulty involved? These days people just throw out terms like suing as if it were a trip to the local grocery store. Also there is a good probability that the lawsuit case would be denied by the judge. IMO just a waste of time and money to include the stress involved. Document the incident in a professional letter to the Airline noting the regulation that they did not follow with a request for a refund or compensation. Advance purchase the seat on LOT to get the least expensive reservation.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm
Do people realize the cost of suing anyone,
The costs of the lawsuit are paid by the losing party.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:39 pm
Suspended

The costs of the lawsuit are paid by the losing party.
That depends entirely on the jurisdiction. You can't make a blanket statement such as this.

Moreover, even if the costs are paid, those do not include the OP's individual time and its value.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If W6 are unable to rebook you on the same day, then they have to offer a hotel room in Vienna until the day of the first flight they can offer.
I would not be so sure of that. Vienna is a starting point here so it is not as if the airline brings a passenger somewhere and then cannot bring him or her back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.