Wiki Posts
Search

Condor - never booking them again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
A 'business class airfair' means nothing.

What matters is what it says about schedule changes in the fare rules and when it is possible to get a refund when there is a schedule change.

Some airlines have relativly short time periods before a refund is available others have long periods.
This was an expensive lesson for me.For a very frequent traveler it is the first time it has happened so will now look at the pesky rules for airlines I have not previously flown. DE will never fit my needs so title still stands and lesson learned.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
DE has interline agreements with quite a few carriers:
Are you listed the interline agreements in regards to ticketing or just baggage interlining? These are two very different things.

But, you have omitted the March 2020 Guidance issued by the EC.

Best of luck to anyone citing text or case law which predates that Guidance. It is the end of the road for everything other than refunds, downgrades, and duty of care.

That Guidance did not come out of thin air, but was specifically requested by EU carriers, including DE. It is well aware of the Guidance. OP, if she wishes to do so, may file an appropriate lawsuit and deal with the question of whether the Guidance is applied to her case. But, neither DE nor any carrier likely to back down for fear of opening the flood gates.
I fail to see that the schedule change has anything to do with Covid-19.
Moreover, I have read that the EU carriers were very unhappy with the so-called (legally non-binding) guidance.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by warakorn
Are you listed the interline agreements in regards to ticketing or just baggage interlining? These are two very different things.
Ticketing.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn

I fail to see that the schedule change has anything to do with Covid-19.
Moreover, I have read that the EU carriers were very unhappy with the so-called (legally non-binding) guidance.
They are very unhappy indeed. They wanted Guidance which was much more comprehensive and effectively conferred immunity from enforcement of claims under the Regulation for the duration. The EC can't do that, of course, but the carriers wanted it because it would drive away claims.

The Guidance, by the way, is in effect for the time period of the pandemic and says nothing about proof or nexus/connection to it.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The Guidance, by the way, is in effect for the time period of the pandemic and says nothing about proof or nexus/connection to it.
Whether the Guidance is in effect or not is not decided by the European Commission, but by the relevant trial courts in the countries.
"is in effect" is a problematic description, because the governments of the Netherlands and France (and many other EU countries) have chosen to ignore the Guidance and (together with the countries legislature or without them) issued decrees/laws to allow airline to only give out voucher and to waive the obligation of cash refunds.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:54 am
Suspended

Which is why, a combination of the EC and NEB's make the result here forgone other than for someone who has an awful lot of time to invest in something where the result is close to forgone.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This was an expensive lesson for me.For a very frequent traveler it is the first time it has happened so will now look at the pesky rules for airlines I have not previously flown. DE will never fit my needs so title still stands and lesson learned.
With due respect, as I don't mean to offend, you have obviously not learned a lesson.

It is ALWAYS risky, irrespective of airline and fare, to book 2 separate tickets for one single journey.

Irrops happen. A delay can happen any time for any reason. When the delay happens too late for you to reorganise your trip (such as when you are sitting in the plane) you miss your connection.

Even if you are told about the delay in advance, and offered a refund, it may be so late that any replacement ticket will cost an arm and a leg.

The lesson, as advised by Irishguy, is indeed : don't book 2 separate tickets for one journey, unless you are prepared to get caught in the middle of your trip with your onward flight already gone (among other expensive scenarios).

It may not have happened to you yet. But it will if you stick to your booking pattern. Overnight at connecting point is one way to greatly minimise the risk.
irishguy28 and craigthemif like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:20 am
Suspended

The scheduling fallout of the pandemic and its associated financial impact is that what was always risky, e.g., separate tickets, is now even more so. With scheduling cutbacks, limitations on entry as opposed to transit, requirements for testing, quarantine and the like, IRROPS moves from a nuisance to a potentially lengthy and expensive situation.

Whatever the requirements of EC 261/2004, it is clear from the EC Guidance that the duty of care remains. If stuck on a single ticket connection for 3 days, hotel & food are provided for and sooner or later one will be rerouted. Alone, it's tougher.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by carnarvon
With due respect, as I don't mean to offend, you have obviously not learned a lesson.

It is ALWAYS risky, irrespective of airline and fare, to book 2 separate tickets for one single journey.

Irrops happen. A delay can happen any time for any reason. When the delay happens too late for you to reorganise your trip (such as when you are sitting in the plane) you miss your connection.

Even if you are told about the delay in advance, and offered a refund, it may be so late that any replacement ticket will cost an arm and a leg.

The lesson, as advised by Irishguy, is indeed : don't book 2 separate tickets for one journey, unless you are prepared to get caught in the middle of your trip with your onward flight already gone (among other expensive scenarios).

It may not have happened to you yet. But it will if you stick to your booking pattern. Overnight at connecting point is one way to greatly minimise the risk.
With all due respect (have always loved the irony of that phrase), I have suffered many IRROPs, and on seperately purchased tickets when both airlines have always accommodated the change at no cost to me. I have never questioned why, it just worked out that way. I had always assumed it was because I purchased business class airfares.

I have received my fair share of EC compensation over the years. However, the IRROPs also occured in Asia and South America. I have quite a high historical delay/cancellation rate.

Once I was actually sitting on a plane talking with representatives from both airlines. Flight needed to leave so left them to sort it out. Arrived at the end and it was all sorted out with my new flight details waiting for me. And yes, separate tickets.

However, I do take your point about overnighting and have done that on numerous occasions but that was not a feasible plan with this particular trip.

As I mentioned previously I had originally booked LH for that particular flight and they moved the scheduled time and refunded me my airfare and that was when I purchased the DE ticket. First time with DE and will be the last time I purchase a DE flight.

I do agree with Often1 that going forward in the current economic environment purchasing behaviors will be modified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.