Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air was sued in the US over unpaid refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Bursor & Fisher, a New York-based law firm, is leading a class-action lawsuit against Norwegian Air Shuttle over its actions to refund customers whose flights have been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is estimated that Norway’s largest airline owes customers a total of between $200 million and $400 million.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2020/06/13/...npaid-refunds/

Last edited by cockpitherald; Jun 14, 2020 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The US Dept Transport isn't enforcing the 7 day legal rule anyway because basically it's unforcable at present.. Ditto the EU.

I don't see the courts - anywhere - doing anything at present.

It took over a month for them to even acknowlege my complaint re AA/ They send it to the airline and then they have 30 days tor AA to give an initial response and 60 for a final response. Will be the same for Norwegian.

That was after waiting 4-5 weeks for AA to refund me and them failing..

TBH people are just throwing their money away paying these lawyers.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
TBH people are just throwing their money away paying these lawyers.
This is a class action lawsuit, so nobody is paying the lawyers. They hope to get paid out of a settlement or judgment.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
They will probbaly have gotten their refunds long before this gets a hearing.

I don't see a court accepting this when, as I said, the DoT isn't enforcing the 7 days period itself.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They will probbaly have gotten their refunds long before this gets a hearing.

I don't see a court accepting this when, as I said, the DoT isn't enforcing the 7 days period itself.
Even the airline isn't disputing that they must refund the money when the flight is cancelled and the customer requests the refund. On the legal merits, the plaintiffs are in the right.

Still, plaintiffs must clear the class action procedural hurdles, and that will take some time. Maybe you'll be right about the refunds, but it's not at all clear if Norwegian really has the cash on hand to fund all the money due to customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.