Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian airlines - any way to tell when a flight was canceled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian airlines - any way to tell when a flight was canceled?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I received an email yesterday morning notifying me that my Labor Day weekend flight from BOS-CDG was canceled. There was a link in the email to request a refund to your credit card. I went through the link today and already received confirmation that my refund will be processed as soon as possible.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Member

My experience with Norwegian:

January 15 - book one-way Tampa-Gatwick for June 10
May 4 - flight officially cancelled by Norwegian
May 4 - submit refund request to Norwegian via their email link in cancellation email
May 11 - after waiting a week, file dispute with credit card, receive temporary credit for full amount (including travel insurance)
June 16 - Norwegian email: "since you have filed a dispute, we can no longer assist you with this reservation", which means their accounting was backlogged by 5 weeks
June 26 - celebratory snail mail from credit card company, affirming full refund (including travel insurance)
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
IIRC, the only way you would ever be able to see the "refund" option on the Norwegian website, was if THEY cancelled your flights and sent you an email confirming the flight was cancelled. If YOU cancelled the flight then no refund option. And yes, it was a bit confusing to find the "refund" option on their website.

In my case, flights were for June 3 and June 18. I received cancellation emails, followed the procedures they asked for, and was refunded within a few weeks of them cancelling. It was oddly efficient. I was cancelled on May 4, and was refunded fully by May 19 for all flights.

There is nothing nefarious here, as this was completely chaotic in the beginning of the COVID mess, and many airlines were scrambling to figure out what to do. There's a long thread here about Norwegian in specific, where many of us decided to wait until the carrier cancelled the flights. Norwegian was also on the absolute brink of complete insolvency and bankruptcy when COVID first hit, and their policies were changing by the minute.

Now, several months later, Norwegian actually handled this thing pretty well at the time, considering they furloughed 90% of the company, had no free cash, and were in imminent danger of completely dissolving.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
IIRC, the only way you would ever be able to see the "refund" option on the Norwegian website, was if THEY cancelled your flights and sent you an email confirming the flight was cancelled. If YOU cancelled the flight then no refund option. And yes, it was a bit confusing to find the "refund" option on their website.

In my case, flights were for June 3 and June 18. I received cancellation emails, followed the procedures they asked for, and was refunded within a few weeks of them cancelling. It was oddly efficient. I was cancelled on May 4, and was refunded fully by May 19 for all flights.

There is nothing nefarious here, as this was completely chaotic in the beginning of the COVID mess, and many airlines were scrambling to figure out what to do. There's a long thread here about Norwegian in specific, where many of us decided to wait until the carrier cancelled the flights. Norwegian was also on the absolute brink of complete insolvency and bankruptcy when COVID first hit, and their policies were changing by the minute.

Now, several months later, Norwegian actually handled this thing pretty well at the time, considering they furloughed 90% of the company, had no free cash, and were in imminent danger of completely dissolving.
Wanted to give an update. I emailed Norwegian to ask about what the status was given I lost the dispute (was thinking I’d just get my Norwegian credit). They responded saying they saw I opened a dispute and couldn’t do anything until it was finalized. I responded saying that the dispute was closed in their favor and they asked for proof so I sent them the letter via email that chase sent me when the dispute closed. I didn’t actually hear back from a person, but for an automated email almost immediately after saying my refund was being processed and I got a refund to my credit card last night. So not exactly sure what happened here....can’t tell if they are saying I did actually request a refund after they canceled the flight and just wanted to issue the refund directly vs through a credit card dispute or what.

anyways, I got my refund, even though it took many months. I did learn a valuable lesson to both take screenshots of everything, as well as not jumping the gun and making sure changes have all flowed through the systems.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this points to the importance of doing everything in writing and then saving a copy (including screen shot). When one files a card dispute, provide:
1. E-ticket receipt
2. Notice of cancellation or other documentation that the carrier has cancelled (including date).
3. Your request for cancellation (including date). #3 needs to be after #2 .
4. Response from carrier or note that you have not received one.

Glad this one worked out.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Member

Always print paper copies of stuff like this. Airlines and other companies have been known to change the terms/text/etc in linked info that is emailed (see: earlier this year with hotel cancellation policies "magically" changing to keep your money).
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.