Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair Announces Ambitious Summer 2020 Schedule

Old May 18, 2020, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Icelandair in the last few days filed changes to its inventory for the remainder of summer 2020 season. Latest adjustment sees the airline schedules up to 207 weekly departures from Reykjavik Keflavik during peak season (eg: 05JUL20, as of 17MAY20), compared to 355 weekly listed in OAG as of 05APR20.

Frequency listed below mostly focusing for the month of July and August 2020, as seasonal adjustment for Fall gradually in place in September and October 2020. These frequency reductions and service cancellations will take place when the airline resumes full operation as early as June 2020.

Reykjavik Keflavik – Amsterdam Reduce from 14 to 12 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Anchorage 2 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Barcelona Seasonal service cancelled in S20 (This route has been removed in late-March)
Reykjavik Keflavik – Bergen Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Berlin Tegel Reduce from 12 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik –Billund Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Boston Reduce from 2 to 1 daily
Reykjavik Keflavik –Brussels Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 11 to 5 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik –Copenhagen Reduce from 32 to 25 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Denver Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Dublin Reduce from 10 to 3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Dusseldorf Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Edmonton Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik –Frankfurt 12 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Geneva Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Glasgow Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Hamburg Reduce from 5 to 3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Helsinki Reduce from 13 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – London Gatwick Service cancelled until 07OCT20
Reykjavik Keflavik – London Heathrow Reduce from 14 to 13 weekly until 10SEP20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Madrid Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Manchester Service cancelled until 01OCT20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Milan Malpensa Reduce from 5 to 3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Minneapolis/St. Paul Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Montreal Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Munich Reduce from 11 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik –New York JFK Reduce from 11 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Newark Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Oslo Reduce from 17 to 10 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Paris CDG 16 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik –Philadelphia Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik –Portland OR Seasonal service cancelled in S20
Reykjavik Keflavik – Seattle Reduce from 13 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Stockholm Arlanda Reduce from 17 to 10 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Toronto Reduce from 12 to 7 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Vancouver Service cancelled until 01JAN21
Reykjavik Keflavik – Washington Dulles Reduce from 2 to 1 daily
Reykjavik Keflavik – Zurich Reduce from 11 to 7 weekly

Source:
Daily update from Airlineroute
Old May 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's increasingly looking like travel within "Europe" is likely to be possible this summer, while it will be difficult for outsiders to get into "Europe." So it's hard to understand the rationale for schedule cuts to/from European airports while so many flights are scheduled for the USA. In fact, AFAIK international flights can't serve MSP nonstop unless they're preclearance (i.e., Canada transborder and a few other places) because MSP doesn't have the ability currently to do the health checks on arriving international passengers; MSP wasn't one of the approximately twelve USA airports on the list.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's increasingly looking like travel within "Europe" is likely to be possible this summer, while it will be difficult for outsiders to get into "Europe." So it's hard to understand the rationale for schedule cuts to/from European airports while so many flights are scheduled for the USA.
Not sure I follow the point;

The "cuts" to the European network are at least in recognition of the fact that the North American network has been thinned somewhat; FI depends on transfer traffic to maintain its European network. With fewer pax connecting to/from North America, there will be fewer passengers on their European network, too. Iceland isn't a big enough O/D market to maintain a network of that size without lots of help from transfer traffic; and given Iceland's location, that transfer traffic has to, by definition, be intercontinental. (Now, maybe there are some people that connect from, say, Copenhagen to Madrid via Reykjavik, but that is clearly not the type of transfer traffic that FI needs and relies upon)

Europeans who decide to stay in Europe tend to want to travel south for their summer holidays, so it is unlikely that any increased numbers of "intra-Schengen" tourism will result in an increase of traffic from Europe to Iceland warranting even more flights than have been scheduled.

And Iceland itself is not a big enough market to provide additional pax to justify greater frequencies to Europe.

As the OP said when choosing the thread title, the breadth of destinations, and the frequency of service, already appears "ambitious" - but then, perhaps FI are aiming for greater social distancing on board (could be deployed as a "selling point") than are other carriers.

(I was surprised at their ambition with this schedule)

Last edited by irishguy28; May 20, 2020 at 6:13 am
Old May 21, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's increasingly looking like travel within "Europe" is likely to be possible this summer, while it will be difficult for outsiders to get into "Europe." So it's hard to understand the rationale for schedule cuts to/from European airports while so many flights are scheduled for the USA. In fact, AFAIK international flights can't serve MSP nonstop unless they're preclearance (i.e., Canada transborder and a few other places) because MSP doesn't have the ability currently to do the health checks on arriving international passengers; MSP wasn't one of the approximately twelve USA airports on the list.
I have been wondering about their MSP flights as well. They show as leaving daily for KEF, but I am wondering how they get to MSP, as MSP is not one of the official entry airports.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Perhaps this is another instance of "Fake Flights" (Is United making "fake flights" to take people's money?)
Icelandair trying to fool people into believing these flight will actually operate. So they book, but then Icelandair quickly cancels the flight and retains the funds while trying to push vouchers.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:07 am

Does anyone know which routes ICELANDAIR is currently flying from the U.S. ? I see flights coming and going from Washington Dulles everyday -- but can't be sure if anyone is on them. You can book flights on the Icelandair -- which I want to do after the June 15th date when the Iceland Government says they will be open to tourists (per COVID test or 14 day quarantine) but am wary of booking a flight. Where do we go to find out if flights are real?
Old May 28, 2020, 8:47 am

Not sure which flights they are actually operating across their network. However I was looking at SEA-AMS for this last week of May and 1st week of June. They were showing as available to book last week but then yesterday all the departures through to June 3rd show not available. Expect demand and operations are very fluid and they are making decisions a few days ahead. Of course not great to book a flight and then have it cancelled, hassle of getting refund/credit, already have multiple credits out to Iceland, Delta, Alaska so not looking for more :-)

Good luck,
Old May 29, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: VX RCCL
Viking (Ocean and River) Cruise line announced yesterday all cruises up to Aug 31st are cancelled. This includes mine using IcelandAir from IAD to KEF and BGO to IAD (via KEF).
This was the first time I've ever let a cruise company handle flights but with WOW going under and NorwegianAir's longtime funding issues....

I think folks are going to be way more hesitant to book personal travel way out in the future without financial safety-nets.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by CHuntMD
Viking (Ocean and River) Cruise line announced yesterday all cruises up to Aug 31st are cancelled. This includes mine using IcelandAir from IAD to KEF and BGO to IAD (via KEF).
This was the first time I've ever let a cruise company handle flights but with WOW going under and NorwegianAir's longtime funding issues....
I guess it’s a good thing you booked through the cruise line since they obviously can’t leave you on the hook for the airline ticket after they canceled their cruise, and the cruise line would be the one dealing with Icelandair instead of you trying to get a refund on your airline ticket.
af fp likes this.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Jun 14, 2020 at 8:17 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
With intra European borders opening up tomorrow, Icelandair has released a more detailed flight schedule - including US flights as of July.

https://www.icelandair.com/support/p...ight-schedule/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.