Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair refusing refund or credit even in case of travel ban

Icelandair refusing refund or credit even in case of travel ban

Old Aug 1, 20, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ylwae View Post
The fare rules allow me to cancel anytime for a full refund. Why would cancellation of the flight have any bearing on it?
If you have requested a refund for a fully refundable ticket and it has not been promptly initiated by FI, simply initiate a chargeback with your card issuer. Make certain to include the specific language of the fare rules, highlighting and bolding the refundability language so that you do not get caught up in other issues.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:12 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If you have requested a refund for a fully refundable ticket and it has not been promptly initiated by FI, simply initiate a chargeback with your card issuer. Make certain to include the specific language of the fare rules, highlighting and bolding the refundability language so that you do not get caught up in other issues.
Yes, I think it will come to that. Itís peculiar that even this simple refund request isnít being processed properly; every other airline Iíve had to cancel fully refundable tickets with due to the pandemic has refunded the fare promptly.
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, I think it will come to that. Itís peculiar that even this simple refund request isnít being processed properly; every other airline Iíve had to cancel fully refundable tickets with due to the pandemic has refunded the fare promptly.
It already has come to that!

I would file the chargeback immediately as it will take some time to process. If by some chances, FI figures it out first, you can later withdraw your chargeback or FI will advise your card issuer that you have been refunded directly.
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It already has come to that!
Thank you.
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Still waiting for my refund that initiated on May 14 (flight was cancelled). I've received multiple emails from them apologizing for the delay most recently on July 15.
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
The fare rules allow me to cancel anytime for a full refund. Why would cancellation of the flight have any bearing on it?
It would if you didnít have a refundable fare.
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:15 pm

I called Icelandair's North American phone number yesterday because my refund case was opened on May 2 and I was still waiting for the refund. First of all, the call was answered by an agent without any wait. I explained to the agent that I was initially told the refund would take 6-8 weeks to process, then it became 9-12 weeks and the refund still has not been processed after 13 weeks. He confirmed that my case was still in the queue. He then put me on hold for about 5 minutes. When he came back, he said my refund just got processed. He said he was speaking to the refund department and then waiting for them to complete my refund. This morning, I received an email from Icelandair to confirm that the refund has been processed and the refund will appear iin my account within 7 days. Wow! I didn't expect the agent could expedite my request and got it processed while I was on the phone. Although it has taken 3 months to get my money back, I do appreciate what the agent did for me yesterday. He was very patient and very professional in dealing with my request.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: