Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vueling not refunding, only giving a voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Rewards, Platinum

My flight on Vueling was cancelled, but they are only offering vouchers valid until Dec 2020. This is worthless to me. To whom do I appeal?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:22 pm

I was wondering about that as well. Not that I cannot use those vouchers before the end of the year, but I have a cancellation of an expensive (by Vueling standards) ticket coming up. And I don't see how I can use a 300€+ voucher anytime soon again with them.

I was thinking of asking my credit card company to contest it, but it's not something that I have a lot of experience with (so not sure if it's even worth trying).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I was under the impression that cancelled flights in Europe have to be refunded. Am I mistaken in this belief? It's a minor nuisance for me, to be honest. Getting the money back would be nice, but c'est la vie. I was just surprised that I bought a service, they could not provide the service (for reasons beyond their control), yet all I get is a time-limited voucher instead of my original payment.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:18 pm

Ridiculous too as you click on refund thinking you're getting your money back, and later get an email that says if you selected a refund, you will get a voucher that expires. I emailed them back. There has to be some european law that says you get your money back if your flight is cancelled.
Koby likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:24 am
Suspended

I am just thinking that with this problem of the Coronavirus maybe I have reacted too quickly. I will explain myself.
My flight was on the on the 27 March 2020 this is in 9 days from now. They sent me yesterday the email notice about the flight having been cancelled and whether I wanted a refund and I have just asked for it. Now I think that maybe in the next few days some directive forces the airline companies to refund in money. Unfortunately I have asked for a refund and they have already given a solution, not money, but a solution. If within the next days a directive is launched forcing to refund in money, maybe I will not be eligible to it because I have no longer a flight booked. Vueling has saved their money and I have received a voucher that I do not want and that I will not be able to use. Maybe all is written in the small letter when we did the reserve

Last edited by JBEBKBK; Mar 18, 2020 at 2:43 am
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by JBEBKBK
... maybe in the next few days some directive forces the airline companies to refund in money.
Given the financial situation of airlines in general, I would not expect that.

A similar situation, but for package holidays: in Belgium the government now explicitely allows companies to give a voucher instead of a refund, but valid for one year (not until the end of the year).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
By law, if flight/train/etc is cancelled, it is breach of contract and you have the right to ask for full refund. Companies might not offer it initially as it hurts they cash flow, but you have the right to get it back, if you want to.

Reasonable would be an option that you get to choose from 1) 100% refund, or 2) 120-125% credit voucher. Some have been offering it this way. Same as with EC261 compensation - cash or +% for credits
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Dispute it with your credit card company if they don't refund. No point in spending your time trying to reason with them.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In the first instance, perhaps a phone call (despite the likely hold times). At least worth seeing if that works as it is easiest.

EC 261/2004 expressly provides for a passenger's right to a full refund (not a voucher or credit, but cash or cash equivalent) in the event of a cancellation. Make a specific claim for a refund under the Regulation. This can be done through the online form or through the email provided on the EC 261/2004 information page. Make certain that you keep screen shots of every page.

If that is not promptly acknowledged and then paid, dispute the charge with your credit card issuer (bank). Include your original e-ticket receipt as well as the screen shots from above.

For the benefit of others and not just with VY, when making a request covered by EC 261/2004, best to use that channel on the carrier's website as it is looked at in a different light and makes your later chargeback, if necessary, easier & faster to process.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Call your credit card company and charge it back on the grounds that the service was not provided.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lakerjock
Ridiculous too as you click on refund thinking you're getting your money back, and later get an email that says if you selected a refund, you will get a voucher that expires. I emailed them back. There has to be some european law that says you get your money back if your flight is cancelled.
Yes, I clicked that button assuming I was getting refunded. I emailed them back as well, telling them that their voucher was worthless to me and that I wanted my money back. I also contacted my cc company and launched a dispute. I have two other flights with Vueling coming up that will be cancelled in all likelihood. Everything is a mess, so I'm not expecting anything.

Last edited by dv7834; Mar 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:49 pm

Isn't there a force majeure exception under EC 261/2004?

I'm in the same position with Vueling and doubt I would use a voucher.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Isn't there a force majeure exception under EC 261/2004?

I'm in the same position with Vueling and doubt I would use a voucher.
EC 261/2004 has no such exception for rebooking (which includes refunds for cancellations). That is always payable and makes sense. If the carrier can't perform the flight for whatever reason, it certainly can't keep your money.

You may be thinking of its "extraordinary circumstances" provision which would exempt a carrier from paying delay or cancellation compensation.
dhuey and Giantaxe like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Silver
I am in a similar situation with Vueling. My wife and I were going on a Viking River Cruise which has been canceled. Since we live in Spain, it is easier if we took care of the travel to Avignon. Received a notification the outbound leg is canceled. Spoke with Vueling (no wait at all) and they informed me their "policy" is to only refund the canceled legs of the booking. If the return legs are subsequently canceled, then they will refund the remaining money. Their "policy" on refunds is a voucher.

The EU clarified EU261 with respect to the virus in a formal ruling on 18 March. Basically, it stated the virus can be considered an "extraordinary event", which allows airlines to cancel flights within 14 days without having to pay compensation under EU261. However, the EU also reiterated the airline has a duty of care to provide hotel, food and other entitlements to stranded customers. In addition, it stated airlines who cancel flights as the result of the virus have to tell customers they are entitled to a cash refund but if they want, the customer can request a voucher for future use.

Apparently, Vueling has decided their "policy" trumps EU261. I went through their website to file a claim and sent them an email with the EU261 clarification attached. I tried using their online claim form but since the travel was scheduled for early April, their website will not let me file a claim.

I did speak with my bank, Banco Sabadell, who initially said I was outside of the 60 days to dispute, even though in the event of a chargeback, you have 120 days from when you were notified or expected to receive the service.

We will see what happens. Vueling did say, they review each claim on a case by case basis. I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:58 am

As Pete stated above, I suggest that everyone in a similar situation relies on the formal guidance of EC - available at https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...l/en/ip_20_485 (my personal experience so far has been fairly consistent, AA and LH agreed to fully refund tickets with cancelled sectors without any discussions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.