Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vueling not refunding, only giving a voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vueling not refunding, only giving a voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:58 pm

I have just received the "voucher" for the first of my cancelled Vueling flights. In the end, it's not all that bad...

* The "flight credit" (as they call it) can be used for flights that "you can book up to 31 December 2020, to fly up to 30 June 2021"

* You do not need to use the entire amount in one single new booking (which is important if you had some more expensive tickets). The mail says: "When you pay for your booking, if the final price is lower than your credit balance, the difference will be saved for future bookings."

* Also, they do give you an option for a real refund: "If you prefer to be refunded the price of your cancelled booking, you must call us so we can process your request*. Due to the current situation, this process may take up to 8 weeks."

I'm happy with this. Personally, I will not ask for refunds. But I can imagine that especially for those living outside Europe a refund is still the best option.
renila likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The EU clarified EU261 with respect to the virus in a formal ruling on 18 March.
There was no ruling by the EU (whoever you mean with that). The European Commission just issued a legal opinion on March 18. No court or airline has to follow that opinion.
Courts and airlines have to follow the letter of the law -> and that is EC261/2004.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I called this morning - our flight was cancelled last week and I requested what was clearly labeled as a 'refund'. I then got an email this morning saying they issued a credit and that I needed to call if I wanted a refund.

After getting a busy signal multiple times, I finally got through. The initial recording makes it as difficult as possible to request a refund... and then I come to find out that I must wait until May to request a refund of my May flight. Awesome.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
I called this morning - our flight was cancelled last week and I requested what was clearly labeled as a 'refund'. I then got an email this morning saying they issued a credit and that I needed to call if I wanted a refund.

After getting a busy signal multiple times, I finally got through. The initial recording makes it as difficult as possible to request a refund... and then I come to find out that I must wait until May to request a refund of my May flight. Awesome.
Did you reach an agent who told you that or did you abide by the recording?

Also had 2 cancelled May flights early last week. Website said I would get a refund, I absolutely selected refund, I have confirmations my refund is processing- and today I got vouchers saying call if I want a refund instead. And got the same, if you're flight's in May we won't talk to you message as the previous poster.

Dispute filed. This is bull to hold onto our money interest free longer, it's one thing if they refused the refund period but to promise the refund for my cancelled flight, say they were processing my request, and then send me a voucher and make me go on a phone call merry go round at their leisure to get the refund they promised? Nope. Well, I hope not anyway. Chase says they've got a month to respond.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 2020 at 3:17 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 has no such exception for rebooking (which includes refunds for cancellations). That is always payable and makes sense. If the carrier can't perform the flight for whatever reason, it certainly can't keep your money.

You may be thinking of its "extraordinary circumstances" provision which would exempt a carrier from paying delay or cancellation compensation.
So many businesses are deceptively using "force majeure" provisions, government-imposed shutdowns, "extraordinary circumstances" and the like to retain money that they are obliged to refund. Circumstances are indeed extraordinary, and that is why these businesses are generally not in breach of contract for failing to perform their end of the bargain. But that doesn't mean they get to keep the money and offer you some other goods or services down the road! Essentially, the deal is off -- no goods/services will be provided, and they refund your money. That's how it's supposed to work.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:10 am

Ref the previous advice from "Often 1" to use the e-mail on the EC 261/2004 information page, could you provide a link to this?? I have tried unsuccessfully to locate it.... Also, you suggest using the carrier's own website to make a claim under EC 261/2004. Could you also point us to where we can do that on the Vueling site? Again, I have looked but not found... Thanks
Old May 5, 2020, 3:23 pm

Following this thread to see how things play out. I've got a flight from Rome (FCO) to Santorini (JTR) on July 8th. No word yet on whether it's flying, but will be looking to cancel and get a refund one way or another.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Virginia West
Ref the previous advice from "Often 1" to use the e-mail on the EC 261/2004 information page, could you provide a link to this?? I have tried unsuccessfully to locate it.... Also, you suggest using the carrier's own website to make a claim under EC 261/2004. Could you also point us to where we can do that on the Vueling site? Again, I have looked but not found... Thanks
Simply follow the links to "Contact Vueling" on its website. You will be taken to a form in which you should seek a reimbursement (refund) for your ticket.

People continue to confuse compensation for cancellations which does not apply because this is an "extraordinary circumstance" with the right to a refund if one wishes one.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:51 pm

So my Vueling flight has now been cancelled. What's the recommended approach to getting a cash refund (I'm not willing to accept a voucher for future travel)?

1. Go to the reservation and click the refund button knowing full well "Refund" means "Voucher" to these guys. Then try endlessly to call them and demand a cash refund. Then file a credit card chargeback.after 30 days of no refund.

2. Skip the website "Refund", Try endlessly to call them and demand a cash refund. Then file a credit card chargeback after 30 days of no refund.

3. Just file a credit card chargeback.

I guess 3. will just get rejected given no attempt to contact Vueling. But is there any point in bothering to go the website "Refund" route given that will merely end up in a voucher?
Old May 6, 2020, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do everything in writing and keep copies and screenshots. Do not use the phone.

Simply request the refund based on the cancellation and your election of a reimbursement (refund) under your EC 261/2004 rebooking rights.

If a refund is not initiated within 7 days, on the 8th day file a dispute with your credit card issuer (bank). Supply copies of your e-ticket receipt, the cancellation notice, your request for a refund, and either the denial or a note that you have not had a response.

Don't waste your time on multiple calls or follow-up, but do make your card submission complete so that it can be processed quickly.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, MB
I successfully applied for and got a cash refund today from Vueling and thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone out...

I was due to fly tomorrow to Bilbao. The flight was cancelled sometime in April. At the time, I followed the links for a 'refund' and like many was issued a flight voucher. At the bottom of the email are a series of phone numbers to call to request a cash refund, I had tried a few times to call typically in the late afternoon or evening. The issue with their phone service is they don't put your call on hold to be picked up by the next available operator. Instead, if you're not put through straightaway the automated service hangs up on you, requiring you to call continuously until you get through. Ridiculous! What I did next was write down the sequence of numbers I needed to enter at each stage to get to the point where it would put me through to a human so that I wouldn't have to listen to the full automated messages each time. This morning I was on the phone as soon as the lines opened and was speaking to a human with refund request processed in under 10mins. Vueling do then follow up with an email confirming the refund is being processed. The human on the phone said it would take up to 8 weeks to process, but I'm putting this down as a win.
renila and Koby like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: *A Gold
cash refund requested about 5-6 weeks ago and it was processed yesterday. Looks like a batch of refunds were processed as some of my friends received the same email.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: PSA, Air Cal, Tarom Glam Miles (pre-devaluation)
Finally receiving refund for flight scheduled for 6/10/20. Note that they stopped selling tickets for this flight in April.

5/19 Received email to cancel through the website, which wouldn't work. Called four times before getting through. They fixed the website problem and told me to go back to the website to request a refund. Which I did.
5/28 Received email with voucher credit (which I didn't want) which said to call if I wanted full refund. I called and was told my credit card would be refunded within eight weeks.
6/5 Received email from Vueling that they'd processed my refund and I should see it on my Amex within a few days.
SDoFive likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:17 am

Got an email this morning at 3:31AM EDT for a flight I have with them on July 8, 2020 from Rome (FCO) to Santorini (JTR):

Dear CobbFC09,

In view of the exceptional circumstances caused by COVID-19, we are working to offer solutions to provide our customers with peace of mind about their travel arrangements. We are therefore offering you the option of cancelling your flight free of charge and obtaining a refund for the amount in the form of Flight Credit.* You can use this Flight Credit to book a flight with us at a later date, either for yourself or another person.

Booking code: XXXXXX

Please ignore this email if you prefer to maintain your existing flight.

Kind regards,
The Vueling Team

Flight Credit Terms and Conditions
Your Flight Credit is the full and final amount of the booking you were refunded for, so it cannot be exchanged for cash.
Flight Credit valid for 18 months from the date of issue. The Flight Credit can be used to book available flights until it expires. It can be used once or several times until the balance runs out. The Flight Credit is not personal or granted to a particular person and can therefore be used to make bookings for the recipient or another person. You can check the available Flight Credit balance when you make a new booking and reach the payment page. If there is not enough Flight Credit to cover the total price of a booking, the remaining amount must be paid by card. Valid for all fares and any additional services booked. It can be used in conjunction with resident and large family discounts. If the price of original booking, or part of it, was paid with a discount code, the discounted amount will not be refunded, which means that it will not be included in the Flight Credit. If the booking or part of it was paid with Avios points, these will be refunded to your Avios account.
Still nothing about the flight being cancelled and we're just under a month out. Will keep waiting in hopes it gets cancelled so I can ideally get a refund as a credit does me no good living in the United States.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CobbFC09
Got an email this morning at 3:31AM EDT for a flight I have with them on July 8, 2020 from Rome (FCO) to Santorini (JTR):

Still nothing about the flight being cancelled and we're just under a month out. Will keep waiting in hopes it gets cancelled so I can ideally get a refund as a credit does me no good living in the United States.
AFAIK Greece is open for tourists, as is Italy. So your chances of involuntary cancellation aren't good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.