Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 9:25 pm

Requested refund today hopefully will get it soon.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If anyone is interested. This is the acquirer of Ryanair:

First Data
Janus House, Endeavor Drive
Basildon
Essex SS14 3WF
United Kingdom
Old May 8, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Flying Club
Hi everyone,

I got my cancellation email from Ryanair yesterday, so this has answered my earlier question (Post #30 ). The cancellation email was sent 16 days before my flight (11 working days).

iahphx - I hope this is useful to you.

There was a link to get a refund, which I have filled in. It needed my booking reference, name, email, reason for refund, and whether I wanted a refund for the whole booking or just part. It said that once approved, the refund will be automatically processed within 20 working days, and my bank might then take 5-7 working days to process. I will wait and see...
Old May 8, 2020, 9:14 am

I never got a confirmation email of that form, though I took a screenshot just in case.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:06 pm

I didn't get a confirmation email after submitting the form either. I took a screen grab too!
Old May 9, 2020, 4:05 am

Ryanair sent me a voucher automatically yesterday, two weeks after the refund. I managed to get onto chat to get placed back onto the refund queue, however they reiterated several times that the voucher will remain open until the refund is processed who knows when. I imagine that will prevent a chargeback as when a different airline did this, they refused my chargeback until I got the voucher cancelled, as otherwise I'd have both a voucher I could book and the money.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:11 pm

Thanks Dan1113, that's very useful information.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:46 am

Hi everyone,

I have decided to go for the credit voucher from Ryanair, and not a refund. The voucher is fine for my situation and I will book flights for next year when they become available.

The process was very simple. Ryanair sent an email offering both the voucher and the refund options. There was a link to click on to accept the voucher, then the next screen asked for another click for confirmation. I haven't received any further emails, but the details of the voucher are all in the original email, so I will use those when re-booking.

One point that affected my decision was that if I asked for a refund (which might take months), I might need to book my flights for next year while still waiting. This would mean that I would have two lots of money with Ryanair at the same time, increasing my loss if they go under.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:55 am

I went for the refund with Ryanair and already filed the dispute with my CC since they're 100% unresponsive via any channel (chat, email, or phone). Easyjet allowed me to file a refund for my flight with them, and if I don't have it in 21 days I'll be disputing that charge as well. They're already taking longer than EU261 permits to issue the refunds (7 days), so 21 is plenty.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Originally Posted by iahphx
Any feel for how to proceed if you paid for a Ryanair ticket with a credit card through Paypal? I have had good experience disputing charges with credit card companies. I don't have much experience disputing charges with PayPal. I have a gut feeling that the credit card companies will be more helpful.
I used Paypal for paying all my Ryanair tickets and that was great decision. I have opened a dispute for each transaction. It took 3-4 weeks but each of them got closed in my favor and I received refunds for all of them. I paid via Visa and the chargeback would be denied because of new Visa policy for not accepting the chargeback if flight was cancelled due to governent restrictions. So Paypal is fantastic here.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Ryanair would have to prove to Visa/Mastercard resp. the issueing bank that the flight was cancelled due to a government restriction.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sinus
I used Paypal for paying all my Ryanair tickets and that was great decision. I have opened a dispute for each transaction. It took 3-4 weeks but each of them got closed in my favor and I received refunds for all of them. I paid via Visa and the chargeback would be denied because of new Visa policy for not accepting the chargeback if flight was cancelled due to governent restrictions. So Paypal is fantastic here.
(my emphasis)

What is this new Visa policy? Just yesterday, Chase informed me that it resolved my dispute with easyJet in my favor. This was for a Visa card.

ETA: I think I've answered my own question, but it looks like what you mention is not a new policy. I found this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LXE6iCcOb7AuMe

Yes, if the airline cancels the flight due to a government-imposed restriction, there is no dispute right with Visa. But, that's not the usual reason for Covid-19 flight cancellations. It's mostly that hardly anyone wants to fly. This document expressly says that there is a dispute right where the flight is cancelled due to low demand, and that's the typical reason.

Last edited by dhuey; May 24, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, if the airline cancels the flight due to a government-imposed restriction, there is no dispute right with Visa. But, that's not the usual reason for Covid-19 flight cancellations. It's mostly that hardly anyone wants to fly. This document expressly says that there is a dispute right where the flight is cancelled due to low demand, and that's the typical reason.
Here in Europe government restrictions is the main reason. When they closed the borders, only repatriation and cargo flights could operate.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sinus
Here in Europe government restrictions is the main reason. When they closed the borders, only repatriation and cargo flights could operate.
Which European countries have directly ordered airlines to cancel flights, as opposed to placing very tight restrictions on who is allowed to fly in?
Old May 24, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

That is often not true, esp. not within the EU.
Each Schengen border allowed the border crossing for certain situations (esp. citizens returning to their home country).
Ryanair must prove that due to a government restriction they were forbidden to run the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.