Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund on an Accidental Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Refund on an Accidental Upgrade?

I’m wondering what my rights are in getting my money back for an upgrade charge I didn’t mean to purchase

Call me naive but as I was checking into my Norwegian Air flight online, I wanted to see how much an upgrade was and as I clicked on the premium seats the popup said the seat was 0 pounds extra so I thought it was free. When it came to the page to pay, I thought the price they gave me was the exact price I had paid for my economy seat, which was around 300 pounds, and that they were just restating that the price is the same and not the price is additional on top of what I already paid.

After I confirmed the payment I received an email showing the total price of the economy and the upgrade and realized I was wrong on how I read the price so I immediately called them for a refund and they said no.

I can’t afford to pay double the price for an upgrade. My flight is tomorrow. What can I do to get my money back? I’ve already asked my credit card to decline the payment but they said they can’t until the payment posts but my flight is tomorrow and I’m afraid once I’m on the flight in the premium seat then I definitely can’t get a refund.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I think you are out of luck here and you’ll have to pay the bill when it comes through and learn from it.

As far as Norwegian are concerned you looked at an upgrade and accepted and paid for it the moment you clicked on the ‘pay’ button.

As far as I’m aware they don’t ask you to re-confirm what you have paid already if you just look at the cost of an upgrade or pay for a seat reservation or extra bag they only charge you the extra.

If you formally dispute the transaction with your card provider once it has gone through they will contact Norwegian who will say that as far as they are concerned it was a valid purchase and there were no system glitches that put the payment through in error.

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This sort of thing can be really misleading, though, almost as bad as the US car rental companies conning you into a car upgrade you thought was free. I have done similar things, although not like this example, and I've just had to suck it up and move on. But it really annoys me and is a good motivation for not using airlines like Norwegian.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a lesson learned. Always read what you are signing/clicking.

Credit card issuers (banks) don't decline charges, rather they can be disputed. You can always try, but Norwegian will simply respond that you were advised of and agreed to the charge. I would also be very careful of doing this with the ticket pending travel as, if granted, it might cause Norwegian to simply cancel the ticket as not fully paid (likely) or hold it for an add/collect at check-in (very unlikely).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to be clear... Norwegian lets you book and pay for an upgrade, without even entering payment details again?!?!?!

I suspect not, so basically you went through a series of steps, including adding payment details, for something you expected to be free?

Unfortunately this is a lesson learnt. At least instead of being a total waste of money you will get to travel in PE.

P.S. Please be careful when receiving phone calls / emails suggesting that you have won the lottery, but only need to provide bank details to confirm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.