FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   easyJet | easyJet Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/easyjet-easyjet-plus-775/)
-   -   Lead passenger won't cancel me off holiday? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/easyjet-easyjet-plus/2008987-lead-passenger-wont-cancel-me-off-holiday.html)

cral21191712 Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Lead passenger won't cancel me off holiday?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but need some advice. A group of 7 of us have booked with easyjet to go on a first girls holiday, but after a fall out with the lead passenger I no longer want to go. This is not something that will be resolved and I'm wiping my hands off her completely. We have only paid the deposit (£60) each, but the rest is due to come out of her account in April (roughly £400 eac). I have not transferred her the 400 yet. I have told her that as the lead passenger on the booking she needs to be the one to ring easyjet and have my name removed - I am aware I will lose my deposit but this doesn't bother me. She so far is refusing to ring as she is "too busy". If she doesn't do it in time, am I obliged to send her the rest of the money even though I will not be coming? Just feel its unfair as I've told her in multiple messages that she needs to remove me. Any advice welcome, thank you :)

obscure2k Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, cral21191712
Easy Jet topics are discussed in the Other European Airlines Forum. I'm, moving your query to that forum. Please follow the redirect.
Thanks.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

cral21191712 Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 32069358)
Welcome to Flyertalk, cral21191712
Easy Jet topics are discussed in the Other European Airlines Forum. I'm, moving your query to that forum. Please follow the redirect.
Thanks.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

No worries thank you!

FeedbirdNiner Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Have you tried calling EasyJet and asking to be removed?

I would also consider putting in writing to the lead that you wish to be removed and that you have no intention of paying the balance if your name is left on despite repeated requests to remove it. Don't rely on text messages or verbal requests.

cral21191712 Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner (Post 32069447)
Have you tried calling EasyJet and asking to be removed?

I would also consider putting in writing to the lead that you wish to be removed and that you have no intention of paying the balance if your name is left on despite repeated requests to remove it. Don't rely on text messages or verbal requests.

I called them before I even told her to take me off it and they basically said she was the only one that could do it, but yes putting it in actual writing is a good idea, thank you!

Often1 Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

When you write, be direct and focus on the cancellation issue. Do not delve into any past facts. The sole question now is putting her on notice that you have asked her to cancel you and that if she does not and the tickets are issued, that you will not reimburse her.

kennycrudup Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cral21191712 (Post 32069311)
... but after a fall out with the lead passenger I no longer want to go. This is not something that will be resolved and I'm wiping my hands off her completely.

I dunno 'bout the rest of you guys, but this is the real story here :D

roberino Feb 14, 2020 6:46 am

And on the moral maze this week...

Best advice is definitely to write a formal letter to your ex-friend and send it via recorded delivery. Keep copies in case any of the other friends kick off. If she demands the money anyway tell her to send a letter via a solicitor and don’t answer any other form of communication on the matter. If she harasses you via any other form take copies and then block her.

There’s a vague parallel between your situation and something that happened to me. I had reluctantly agreed to an informal house share over the summer with a friend of a friend but he showed his true colours when he assaulted a friend of mine. I refused to move in with him after that and he demanded half the rent money. I posted a letter saying that we did not have a formal agreement to live together and any further communication had to be via solicitor’s letter. I never heard from him again.

Palal Feb 14, 2020 9:31 am

You can call easyJet in the name of the lead pax and have them remove you.

Often1 Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

Do not do this. A terrible idea to engage in fraud as well as a direct subversion of data protection rules, in order to accomplish something simple.

This is the "out of the fat and into the frying pan" approach. If the OP's former friend does not cancel OP, then it is the former friend who will bear the financial penalty and be forced to sue OP. If OP engages in fraud and is caught out because something goes wrong, then all of this falls squarely onto OP.

Just send a 2-sentence letter and keep a copy. Nothing fancy.

s0ssos Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am

So easyjet takes just deposits with the amount due later? I learned something new today.
I guess one question I would have is are there other costs involved that are non-refundable for the trip? Might explain why leader does not want to cancel.

NickB Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am

Something to bear in mind is that just because only the deposit is payable now, it does not follow that the ticket is cancellable even if due to be paid later. It may well be that the full payment will be due in any event. You may want to check that.

irishguy28 Feb 14, 2020 11:18 am

3 Attachment(s)
Is it really a cancellation when only one of the group wants to cancel? (EDIT: the text below also says "If you want to cancel one or more passengers on the booking you will have to pay a proportion of the applicable cancellation charge for those passengers")

Without knowing the details of the accommodation configuration, the exact same apartment/villa/number of hotel rooms may still be required, and therefore still cost the same price - albeit that they may be able to knock off the "price" of the unused flights.

And at least some of Easyjet's offerings are on a fully non-refundable basis...though I guess if only the deposits have been paid so far, it sounds like these ladies have booked one of these "refundable" type holidays.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/holidays/...ing-conditions

USA_flyer Feb 14, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm dead curious to know how this works out!

roberino Feb 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 32072015)
So easyjet takes just deposits with the amount due later?

i understood that this was for a package holiday and not just a flight.