Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Italy to cease operation - 11 February 2020

Old Feb 11, 20, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Special board meeting today to discuss the future of Air Italy, with some suggestions in the press that a lack of any new financial commitment by the owners could see the airline close sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
It has just been officially liquidated. R.I.P. Air Italy
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 9:09 am

More details available at Loyalty Lobby - https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/11/...s/?omhide=true
Old Feb 11, 20, 9:58 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Final info for those who booked their flights with Air Italy: https://www.airitaly.com/it-it/
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's so bad, the smaller airlines are just dropping one after another. I wonder what Italy would be like without both Air Italy and Alitalia and whether such a thing could happen.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Air Italy will cease operations.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ai...136683.article

I’ve asked the Moderators to change the thread title to reflect this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Italy
Air Italy (registered as AIR ITALY S.p.A.)[4] was[2] a privately owned Italian airline, head quartered in Olbia, Sardinia. The company was the second largest airline in Italy, following Italy's flag carrier Alitalia, and the 40th largest airline in Europe by number of passengers as of 2019. The airline was a subsidiary of AQA Holding, owned by Alisarda (51%) and Qatar Airways (49%). The airline operated a fleet of Boeing 737 Next Generation, Boeing 737 MAX 8 and Airbus A330 aircraft to over 34 scheduled domestic, European and intercontinental destinations. The airlines operated with its main hub at Milan Malpensa Airport.

On 11 February 2020, Air Italy ceased all own operations and went into liquidation[2][1] with few routes to be served until 25 February 2020 by third-party carriers.[2]
<snip?
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I have a family member who has a flight scheduled on this airline. She has requested a refund, but does anyone know if these types of refunds are ever successful?
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cazmom6 View Post
I have a family member who has a flight scheduled on this airline. She has requested a refund, but does anyone know if these types of refunds are ever successful?
Paid with a credit card? May be able to get from the cc company
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no general answer to the question. The instructions suggest that full refunds will be made. The carrier has not declared insolvency (bankruptcy) so there is no reason to believe that it won't pay up. As noted above, if indeed the carrier can't pay up, depending on how the ticket was purchased, there may be protection through credit card or even bank account.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 11, 20 at 4:35 pm
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:06 am

Alisarda had to change its name to Meridiana many years ago, then Meridiana changed its name to Air Italy a few years ago and Aga Khan IV finally realized that a new name will not help this time.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
If the airline hasn't actually declared insolvency, then could a ticket still be purchased? Anyone up for doing a last flight from Milan to one of the Sardinian destinations and back? I don't have any flights with Air Italy in my log!
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I read the statement and it indicated that if you had a ticket in process it would be cancelled, so I'm not sure it will let you make a purchase before they close shop. Not sure I'd risk it.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no general answer to the question. The instructions suggest that full refunds will be made. The carrier has not declared insolvency (bankruptcy) so there is no reason to believe that it won't pay up. As noted above, if indeed the carrier can't pay up, depending on how the ticket was purchased, there may be protection through credit card or even bank account.
Be mindful of the timing requirement for a charge back. If I was inside the 60 day window now, I might go ahead and contest the charge, rather than wait for things to get sorted out after that time has passed.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
Be mindful of the timing requirement for a charge back. If I was inside the 60 day window now, I might go ahead and contest the charge, rather than wait for things to get sorted out after that time has passed.
If your credit card issuer still has a 60-day limit it is time to change issuers. Almost all of the larger issuers are at 6-12 months even though the statute only requires 60 days.

Beyond that, a chargeback at this point will almost certainly be denied, leaving one out in the cold later should that come to pass.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: