Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vueling - cancelled flight, and only offers a refund. Is that right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Hi, there.

I booked a flight with Vueling for May. However, I just found out that they cancelled my flight. They are only offering a refund (and they are forcing me to click on a button to issue a refund).

Instead of a refund, can I have them arrange alternative transportation? The tickets on this route have become more expensive, and I would much rather have them put me on an alternative flight.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:35 am

With that much notice - yes.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
With that much notice - yes.
The "yes" refers to the asking them for alternative transport? Or, they can only offer a refund?

Wouldn't the EU261 oblige them for alternative transportation?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, they don’t need to offer you anything other than a refund. EC261 does not apply.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, they don’t need to offer you anything other than a refund. EC261 does not apply.
I don't think that's correct.

If the airline does not offer you the choice between reimbursement and re-routing but decides unilaterally to reimburse your original ticket, you are entitled to an additional reimbursement of the price difference with the new ticket (under comparable transport conditions).

Source: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...cancellation-1
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 pm
Suspended

You are not entitled to compensation more than 14 days out.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I am not asking for a compensation?

I am asking for an alternative transportation, or a reimbursement of additional costs associated with alternative transportation.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You will really, really struggle to get Vueling to entertain any request to rebook you.

With no details whatsoever, we cannot give you any advice. You have not said what route this involves. Or whether the route has been entirely dropped, or only the flight on this particular day. You have not said what other Vueling flights may be operating or acceptable, or what exactly your "best" replacement flight would be.

Note that, if you accept the reimbursement, you have no comeback at all as regards obtaining a new ticket. You would have to arrange, in advance, that Vueling will either a) book a new ticket or b) pay you the agreed "excess".

Again, I really doubt you would be able to get Vueling to agree to anything other than a simple reimbursement of your ticket.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You will really, really struggle to get Vueling to entertain any request to rebook you.

With no details whatsoever, we cannot give you any advice. You have not said what route this involves. Or whether the route has been entirely dropped, or only the flight on this particular day. You have not said what other Vueling flights may be operating or acceptable, or what exactly your "best" replacement flight would be.
Thank you for following up! It was a flight TFS-BCN-KRK. The flight between BCN-KRK has been completely dropped, it seems. Therefore, I would like them to book me on a flight TFN-KTW by W6, instead.

Can they simply violate the law, with no repercussion?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

They are not violating the law. They will give you your money back. They will not book you on an alternative carrier. No chance.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would say in response that Vueling will likely deny that a simple reimbursement is in breach of the law.

I simply cannot envisage Vueling booking you onto W6, or onto any airline other than themselves. As it appears that Vueling have dropped all Polish destinations (am I right? I couldn't see anything offered from BCN but may have missed something), I really think that any request involving them buying you a ticket on any other airline is destined for failure.

If you can't come up with a new Vueling destination (even outside Poland), then I really think you can forget talking Vueling into rebooking you

I would again ask you to check whether you can find yourself a reasonably-priced new ticket, even on a day earlier/later than originally planned. I notice that TFN-KRK comes up with options in May from €111 oneway involving Vueling on TFN-ALC, followed by a separate Ryanair ticket on ALC-KRK, which appears to be slightly cheaper than the W6 direct flight you mentioned above. Of course, here you have to allow LOTS of time between flights, and if you check a bag, it will probably drastically increase the cost.

You should also check with local travel agents - there are likely charter flights selling seat-only services that may be of use to you, and which could never, anyway, be booked by Vueling or even any "normal' scheduled airline.

Also - as this is a frequent flyer forum - have you considered using miles in order to book a return flight, if the prices have become too high?
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 13, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would say in response that Vueling will likely deny that a simple reimbursement is in breach of the law.

I simply cannot envisage Vueling booking you onto W6, or onto any airline other than themselves. As it appears that Vueling have dropped all Polish destinations (am I right? I couldn't see anything offered from BCN but may have missed something), I really think that any request involving them buying you a ticket on any other airline is destined for failure.

If you can't come up with a new Vueling destination (even outside Poland), then I really think you can forget talking Vueling into rebooking you

I would again ask you to check whether you can find yourself a reasonably-priced new ticket, even on a day earlier/later than originally planned. I notice that TFN-KRK comes up with options in May from €111 oneway involving Vueling on TFN-ALC, followed by a separate Ryanair ticket on ALC-KRK, which appears to be slightly cheaper than the W6 direct flight you mentioned above. Of course, here you have to allow LOTS of time between flights, and if you check a bag, it will probably drastically increase the cost.

You should also check with local travel agents - there are likely charter flights selling seat-only services that may be of use to you, and which could never, anyway, be booked by Vueling or even any "normal' scheduled airline.

Also - as this is a frequent flyer forum - have you considered using miles in order to book a return flight, if the prices have become too high?
I wish there was a way to recognize/acknowledge, but this is the best and most insightful comment! I really appreciate the time and help you have offered here.

You are right -- I am going to look up some other possible ports of departure/arrival including different dates and charter flights. You are a rock star, and the most helpful contributor!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They might not be violating EU law-and who cares about that old rubbish anyway-in the bin it should go.

But they might be breaking basic ES/PL contract law. You acted in good faith and they binned the route and left you high and dry. You could seek redress for non-performance. Isn't performance something common in Civil Systems anyway? If your claim is for a few hundred EUR their lawyers will just pay up. We didn't need Brussels to come along before the law dealt with the matter of an airline who can just bin your trip more than 14 days in advance and say "here's your money back, ciao bello."

By the way, Vueling are awful. I never hear anything good about them. Thank goodness they are gone from Polska.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartytravel
I am not asking for a compensation?

I am asking for an alternative transportation, or a reimbursement of additional costs associated with alternative transportation.
Sorry, you are correct. What I meant is that you are not eligible for anything other than a refund more than 14 days out.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You cannot "force" Vueling to reroute you on another carrier, especially more than 14 days in advance.

All you can do is make your own arrangements, and then take Vueling to court later for reimbursement of the difference between what you originally paid and what you ultimately paid. You may or may not be successful, with the risk of subsequently having to pay any court costs if you lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.